admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

While Cambodia’s tourism industry is booming, the legacy of Pol Pot's regime still remains in many forms, the most deadly of which are the thousands of landmines still buried in the Cambodian countryside. A new art exhibition that opened Thursday in Phnom Penh showcases the work of 10 Cambodian artists who address the impact of landmines on Cambodia’s past and future.

IMPACT is a celebration of the significant developments in Cambodian mine action since mine clearance activities began in the early 1990s. Ten Cambodian artists were engaged to create artworks portraying these issues after visiting two of Cambodia’s most mine-affected provinces, Battambang and Banteay Meanchey. Four young landmine survivors also collaborated to create a work of art representing both their past experiences and their hopes for the future.

Art works consist of sculptures made out of free-from-explosives landmines, paintings, and installations.

The exhibit will be open to the public from 1 October to 10 October (8 am to 6 pm, closed Sundays) before travleling to Cartagena, Colombia, to be shown at the Second Review Conference of the Anti-Personnel Mine Ban Treaty.

IMPACT is at Bophana Audiovisual Resource Center, 64 street 200, Okhna Mén, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

Via Travelhappy

#1 Posted: 2/10/2009 - 09:50

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Phnom Penh ... By CaptainJack on 1 Mar 2014 1 1300 2 Mar 2014