Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

kids in Cambodia

• Caswell

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

Hi there!
    We are a family of five - mom dad + 3 kids age 10, 8 and 3 -traveling SE Asia for seven weeks in December and January. We will be staying for about one week in both Siem Reap and in Phnom Phen (and 2 days in Battambang) - any suggestions as to what to see and do?

#1 Posted: 18/10/2009 - 16:53

• Advertisement

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

I don't mean to be rude, but you're kidding right?
    Siem Reap - what to do? Thats like saying you're going to Disneyland and wondering what there is to do there! lol
    Or are you asking what would be suitable for kids of that age? I could then understand the question ;p

#2 Posted: 18/10/2009 - 18:50

• Caswell

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

:-) OK let me rephrase then!!! apart from the obvious... any ideas of what could be suitable things to do with kids age 10, 8 and 3 respectively... have read just about everything on this WONDERFUL travelfish website, by the way, so it is more specific knowledge I am after.

#3 Posted: 18/10/2009 - 21:44

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

I went to Siem Reap with my GF and np kids in tow. To be honest I only saw a few familes there - so it can be done! Whatever happens it'll be a learning experience for them. I'd book a hotel in advance with a pool for the kids to play in. We visited the war museum which was interesting if only to hear the stories of the tour guide who was an ex soldier. There are lots of burnt out tanks, guns etc but nothing graphic.

The temples are very hard going. I'm guessing if you are with kids you'll be taking it easy. Although I'm not sure how interested they'll be they can run around to their hearts content as there are few places off limits. But, the steps can be very steep so it's certainly no playground. If you can get them out of bed early enough I'd go at dawn and witness the sunrise (you'd be surprised just how many people do this!), but this can be a long day and you'll have had enough by mid day.

The floating villages are worth a trip and the little ones get to go out in a boat which should be fun for them.

There is relly everything you need in Siem Reap. There are a couple of interesting markets to visit, one that should be visited is in the old town and has all manner of interesting foods - although I wasn't brave enough to try any! (Bugs!)

To be honest, on my experience there isn't that much tailored towards kids, but Cambodia is an adventure in itself. Sorry I couldn;t be more help, never been to the other stops on your route.

#4 Posted: 19/10/2009 - 00:57

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi, glad to hear you've found the site useful.

Main thing with travelling with kids in Cambodia is if you're taking the share taxis (which can be a great way to get around if you take the entire car) -- there are no seatbelts. This was a bit of a hassle for us (with a newborn).

Otherwise, have you taken a look at the travel with kids section? Not all of it is relevant to kids the age of yours, but still may be of use.

Some ideas on things to do:
    Visit Kompong Khleang out of Siem Reap (floating villages)
    Do a boat trip from Phnom Penh
    Take a ride on the bamboo train out of Battambang
    Visit Phnom Tamao -- it's a wildlife sanctuary outside Phnom Penh -- not up to western "standards" but prob very interesting for the kids nevertheless. There is a story on it here: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/142

Hope that helps.

#5 Posted: 19/10/2009 - 07:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.