Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

NEED ADVICE...

• FN

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2009

Hi,
    My friend and I will be travelling to Siem Reap during early Dec 09 for 10 days. We are planning to visit these following places.

a. Angkor Wat, Phnom Bakheng, Prasat Bak Sei Chamkrong, Angkor Thom, Bayon, Baphuon, Royal Enclosure, Phimeanakas, Terraces of the Elephants, Terraces of the Leper King, Tep Pranam,Preah Palilay, The Kleangs, Thomannom, Chau Say Tevoda, Spean Thmor, Ta Keo, Ta Prohm, Banteay Kdei, Srah Srang, Prasat Kravan

b. Preah Khan,Preah Neak Poan,Tan Som,East Mebon,Pre Rup

c. Preach Ko, Bakong, Lolei, Banteay Srei, Kbal Spean, Beng Mealea, Banteay Samre, Phnom Kulen, Phnom Bok

d. Cambodia Landmines Museum

e. Khmer Ceramic centre

f.Tonle Sap, floating village

g. Angkor Wat 1/2 marathon

1. Is 10 days enough for the above arrangement? Which is the best places for the sunset and sunrise?
    2. Any places that I have missed out or there are places that I can give a miss?
    3. Floating villages- is it worth seeing?
    4. I have thought of getting some stationery for the orphanage, any one can recommend?
    5. Apart from visiting the temples, other places to recommend? I am thinking of doing pottery at the Khmer ceramic centre. Anyone try before?
    6. Is it true that I can buy cheaper tickets to Phom Kulen (US$ 12.00) at the City Angkor Hotel?
    7. As for food wise, any restaurant is a must to try.
    8. For the angkor wat pass, do I need to use consecutively days?

A very BIG THANK YOU for the assistance.

Cheers,
    Freedom Na

#1 Posted: 11/11/2009 - 17:57

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi FN,

1) Yes ten days is plenty. Angkor Wat is (justifiably) the most popular spot for sun up and down.
    2) No I think you have everything!
    3) Not the floating village near the port -- that is a tourist trap. There are villages further away that are much better. See the sights section of our Siem Reap coverage for more info.
    4) Can't help sorry.
    5)
    6) That used to be true -- (the owner of the hotel is also involved with Phnom Kulen) though I'm not sure if it is still the case.
    7) See the Siem Reap food section.
    8) No, not anymore. A 3-day pass is good for any three days in a week,

Hope that helps.

#2 Posted: 12/11/2009 - 09:55

• tails101

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2006
    Location United Kingdom

Floating villages - I'd recommend a trip to Kompong Khleang.

Cost is around $85 for up to 3 people including a boat+driver at the village and Tuk-Tuk transport there and back. The journey takes about 1.5hrs each way but is definitely worth it. We went with Two Dragons Guesthouse.

I'd probably go as far as to say it was the best "organised" trip I've ever taken. When we visited we were the only tourists in the village and it was wonderful. Children waving and smiling at you but not begging or trying to sell you something. Watching the older children row to school and back getting up to the same kind of fun in rowing boats that we used to on the bus. Watching the fishing teams at work. Pigs in a stilted pen. The gas station on stilts. Awesome.

With regard to the Angkor pass, make sure you ask one of the assistants which queue you need for the "any 3 days in a week" pass. When I was there in October they were selling both the orginal 3 consecutive days pass and the newer any three days in a week pass and you had to queue at a different window depending upon which you wanted. For some strange reason they had far more windows for the old pass than the new one!

Hope that helps.

#3 Posted: 12/11/2009 - 16:08

• slordan

Joined Travelfish
    24th August, 2009

hi, regarding the floating villages, I think it is well worth seeing.

I visited recently, try to go as a group - there were two of us and we ended up paying $20 each for the boat. Buy goodies for the orphanage in Siem Reap - we ended up buying goods on the river (you feel you have to take something) and got completely ripped off! $20 for some noodles and $10 for some sweets!

#4 Posted: 24/11/2009 - 21:05

• Puggles

Click here to learn more about Puggles
    Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2009
    Location Australia

Which orphanage were you planning on visiting? My husband and I have just returned for Cambodai and we visited an orhpanage called Osborne House whilst we were there.

Osborne House appeared to me to be very short on supplies for children and so I felt the paper and pencils will be well received.

We also undertook a visit to the stilted village of Kompong Phluk and found it fascinating and well worth while and we hope to return. I have heard reports of other villages and the floating markets not being up to par so ensure you are going to Kompong Phluk.

We can also highly recommend The Villa Siem Reap for great mid-range accommodation. The service was excellent and the atmosphere relaxing and friendly. We spent our final night at the new resort that is owned by the same people, called Sojourn, and it was EXCELLENT! I can't praise it enough although it is in a much higher price bracket. We were lcuky to negotiate a fabulous deal however.

#5 Posted: 25/11/2009 - 11:14

• Puggles

Click here to learn more about Puggles
    Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2009
    Location Australia

Apologies for the typos and spelling errors.... without an edit button I can't fix them. Ooops! My excuse is that I have dyslexic fingers ;)

#6 Posted: 25/11/2009 - 11:15

• FN

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2009

Dear Puggles,

Thanks for the information.

I do not know which orphanage to visit. Do you have the address of Osborne House?

The picture of that little pug is soooo cute. I like it. ; )

#7 Posted: 30/11/2009 - 19:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.