Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Expo 2006

• halu

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2006

I'm going to be in and around Siem Reap for a few days in November and I just heard that there is going to be some sort of Expo that will supposedly attract twice the amount of tourists than they are used to.

Does anyone know anything about this?

#1 Posted: 21/9/2006 - 04:26

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Halu,

I'd not heard about it - but you can read more about it here at the official AITEX site.

Given how many hotels Siem Reap has I can't imagine you having too many difficulties with a room...

#2 Posted: 21/9/2006 - 09:05

• exkhmer

Joined Travelfish
    13th July, 2006

Yes, the Expo is called Gyeongju World Culture, sponsored by the South Korean and Cambodian governments. Siem Reap should be able to accomodated all tourists.

#3 Posted: 22/9/2006 - 01:30

• Vintage

Joined Travelfish
    24th October, 2006

This is the official website for the expo event:
    http://www.angkor-gyeongjuexpo.com/eng/sub1/sub1_1_a.asp
    It runs 20 November 2006 to 9 January 2007.

It's a cultural expo focusing on Korea and Cambodia but there's other countries involved too for things like the Performance Art events. There's also a kite festival and an international film festival going on as part of the expo too.

The AITEX is a tourism industry thing which is happening just for four days in mid December and is aimed at the travel agents etc. more than the general public.

Siem Reap will of course be very busy - I would expect a lot more tourists from surrounding Asian countries than usual - but there is plenty of excess accommodation at the moment.

I'm not sure about the capacity of transport services though, you might have troubles getting on your preferred flight or bus. If you're planning on flying in or out and you know your dates, I'd advise you to book ahead if you can. For buses, don't expect to turn up on five minutes notice and be guaranteed a seat on the next bus out - buy your ticket a day or two earlier, and then you can turn up on the day with no hassles.

#4 Posted: 24/10/2006 - 16:29

• Averydka

Joined Travelfish
    14th October, 2006
    Total reviews: 5

Thanks for posting this information. I will be there during this time and it's good to know ahead of time for flights, accomodations, etc

#5 Posted: 26/10/2006 - 05:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.