Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

help please-angkor wat and killing fields

• rachrua

Joined Travelfish
    10th November, 2009
    Location Ireland

Hey, im starting to feel really cheeky asking you guys to keep helping me with my itineraries, But i'm just tryin to plan my trip properly, and this site is so helpful because of your collective wisdom! We are spending a week give or take a day if needs be, in each country we visit during our 5 weeks in asia. I'm looking into cambodia at the moment and narrowed our 'must sees' down to Angkor wat and the killing fields near phnom penh. Does anyone know how long it takes to travel between the two, and do you have any suggestions as to what we might be able to fit in during our stay, keeping in mind we are trying to take the advice that everyone gives to try to see less and enjoy the trip rather than spend our time sitting on busses. (we'll be coming from vietnam and heading after cambodia to thailand) Thanks again, Rachel xxx

#1 Posted: 23/11/2009 - 06:09

• Advertisement

• travel22jb

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2009

Plan on taking a boat from PP to Siem Reap about 5 hours.

Would not plan but a couple days in PP and the rest in Siem Reap.

If you need a driver while there, I have the name of a great guy. I just returned from a week there two weeks ago.

He will take you to some of the more remote places as well as the tourist places. And Siem Reap is just a small place if you stay somewhere near the old market area.

#2 Posted: 23/11/2009 - 07:04

• rachrua

Joined Travelfish
    10th November, 2009
    Location Ireland

thanks so much for your advice, im so sorry to ask all these questions but why do you recommend a 5 hour boat trip over flying? you obviously think its worth it, but what kind of boat is it and what do you do on board for that long? on a google map i can see a big lake so i presume thats where the boat travels but where do you get the boat from? Why do you recommend spending longer in seim reap than phnom penh? did you visit any national parks? i'm really into wildlife, is there anything near by thats worth a trip? And yes if you have contact info for a trustworthy driver/guide that would be brilliant! thanks again for your time xxx

#3 Posted: 23/11/2009 - 19:16

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Rachrua,

If you don't fly there are two options -- bus or boat. Most people try the boat at least once as it is very scenic at the start and end of the trip. People tend to sit on the roof of the boat as inside it gets fumey. However the bus is faster and a third of the price. Or, as you say you can fly.

In Phnom Penh I'd recommend seeing Tuol Sleng, the National Museum and the Killing Fields at a minimum -- you need at least two days to do that at a comfortable pace. You may also be interested in the Wildlife Centre which you can read more about here: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/142

Cheers

#4 Posted: 24/11/2009 - 07:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
The killing fields ... By nerja on 11 Dec 2011 2 10960 19 Jan 2012
Killing Fields ... By archiebaby on 29 Sep 2007 8 5515 12 Oct 2007
Cambodia: beyond the Killing Fields ... By time2fly on 16 Mar 2012 0 1992 16 Mar 2012
Quick Q about killing fields and S-21 ... By time2fly on 19 Apr 2012 8 3259 25 Apr 2012
Harrowing account of Killing Fields ... By sayadian on 19 Jul 2011 1 2654 20 Jul 2011
Wat Thmey - Killing Fields Pagoda, Siem Reap ... By DuncanStuart on 9 Feb 2010 0 4767 9 Feb 2010