Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Smooth ride back to Bangkok from Siem Reap?

• PDX2BKK

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2009

Hello all,
    I was curious to know if anybody out there had a suggestion of the easiest and safest way to return to Bangkok from Siem Reap ? I am currently in Siem Reap (having a lovely time I might add) and my friends I travelled here with are headed another direction. We came here on a charter minibus, and I am curious about the best way to get home. I am travelling on a backpacker's budget, The locals I have asked have all told me that there aren't taxis to the border,I must take a bus to Poipet and then find another bus when I cross over into Thailand. Is this really the best way to go? Poipet is a notorious border town with a bad rep for scams and hussles, and since I will be going alone I was hoping to minimize my layover time there. Any Ideas?
    Thank you kindly...

#1 Posted: 25/11/2009 - 11:43

• Advertisement

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

Unless something has dramatically changed, you should be able to get a taxi to the border no problem, $ 30-50 probably. Maybe they thought you were asking for a taxi all the way to Bangkok?

But the bus should also be fine, and in this direction Poipet is really not that bad. The bus will drop you about 1-2 km from the border at a "bus station", so you need to take a moto for the last km for about $1. The moto will leave you right at the exit point for Cambodia, so just get your passport stamped there and walk across the no man's land to Thailand.

The immigration on the Thai side is pretty straightforward too, though there are sometimes queues. Once in Thailand, it's quite easy to take a tuktuk to the bus station and buses leave to Bangkok frequently.

#2 Posted: 25/11/2009 - 16:25

• hideaki2208

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2009

Hi everyone!

I'll be in Phnomh Penh from 28th Dec till 30th Dec, then Siem Reap from 31st Dec till 2nd Jan 2009. I would like to go to Bangkok via the notorious Poipet/Aranyaprathet crossing. However with the current political situation (http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/11/05/thailand.cambodia.thaksin/index.html) in Cambodia and Thailand, I was wondering if there are any brave souls who have recently crossed the border and if you guys experienced anything? eg delays, blockages etc? The last time I went to Bangkok was like 10 years back:(! I need to go there again to get some shopping done

Hope to hear from you guys!

#3 Posted: 30/11/2009 - 12:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Share ride to Siem Reap thisFriday ... By mike1700 on 20 Jul 2009 0 1593 20 Jul 2009
CF Mekong - boat ride between Siem Reap and Phnom Penh ... By travelingchinese on 6 Jul 2009 1 6336 6 Jul 2009
Want to ride on the back of my bike from Thailand across Burma into India? ... By upthejunction on 17 Jan 2014 0 973 17 Jan 2014
Trip advice - Bangkok - Siem Reap - Ko Mak - Bangkok ... By JessandScott on 13 Jan 2009 13 5222 28 Jun 2010
Battambang to Bangkok or Siem Reap to Bangkok ... By tinoh on 19 Feb 2010 4 7418 17 Sep 2010