Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Siem Reap to Bangkok - doable by lunchtime?

• woden1809

Joined Travelfish
    5th December, 2009

Hi, I know this has been covered before, but I have some questions regarding timetables!

I want to get the Bangkok-Vientiane train which leaves Bangkok at 6:30 in the evening. I will be setting out from Siem Reap and want to arrive in Bangkok by the time of my train departure, but it looks like I will just miss it. I will get a bus to Poipet, but as I understand buses and trains which run from Aranyaprathet (other than very early departures) tend to arrive at or around the time of departure, cutting it too short.

Basically, I want to know if I can leave Siem Reap in the early morning and arrive in Bangkok by around 5pm, giving time to get to the train station. I believe it takes three hours from Siem Reap to Poipet and then 5 hours from Aranyaprathet to Bangkok, which sounds ok on paper, but all the timetables I have seen would see me arrive at or around 6pm.

Does anyone know from experience if it is possible to get to Bangkok from Siem Reap, via train, bus or both, by the time of the train?

Cheers

ps. I can't afford the flight! :)

#1 Posted: 5/12/2009 - 05:09

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

i know it is tempting to stretch you time in siem reap as much as possible, but i'd be nervous about making it to the train station on time. your timetable of 3 hours siem reap to poipet and 5 hours aranyaprathet to bangkok are accurate, but there are lots of other things associated with that journey that will eat up your time, such as crossing through customs and immigration at the border, getting from the border to the train or bus station in aranyaprathet, the possibility of getting a flat tire en route, etc.

as tempting as it is, i think you'll be better off to leave a day early and either spend the night in aranyaprathet or make it all the way back to bangkok. i suppose you could leave siem reap in the early afternoon and overnight in aranyaprathet. just be sure that you make it to the border before it closes, since overnighting in poipet isn't an attractive option. hope that helps. cheers.

#2 Posted: 5/12/2009 - 10:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bringing my motorbike to Siem Reap...doable? ... By comtam3000 on 4 Jun 2014 2 454 12 Jul 2014
Trip advice - Bangkok - Siem Reap - Ko Mak - Bangkok ... By JessandScott on 13 Jan 2009 13 5169 28 Jun 2010
Battambang to Bangkok or Siem Reap to Bangkok ... By tinoh on 19 Feb 2010 4 7371 17 Sep 2010