Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

3 weeks in Cambodia

• itchyfeet

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are currently trying to roughly plan out our trip to Cambodia in January. We are flying from Cambodia to India and want to buy those tickets so it's forcing us to come up with a departure date from Cambodia. Which brings me to my question... we want to make sure that we allow ourselves enough time in Cambodia so that we don't feel rushed-would 3 weeks be a good amount of time?
    We plan on arriving from Phu Quoc Island and hitting Kampot, Kep, Sihanoukville, Phnom Penh, Siem Reap at the bare minimum. We do like to take things at a slowish pace ...would we be pushing it or would this be about right? We can allow for more time if need be.
    Look forward to any advice you may have.
    Cheers,
    Meg

#1 Posted: 9/12/2009 - 11:21

• Advertisement

• oscarcat

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2008
    Location Cambodia

Month would be better imho, don't miss Battambang! Day or 2 in Kep assuming you're going to Rabbit Island (can't see why else you'd go...?) week in Kampot, 3-5 days in Sinville, 3-5 days in BB, up to a wk. (if you really MUST spend 3 days @ Angkor) in Siem Reap, up to a wk. in Phnom Penh. Sorted.

#2 Posted: 9/12/2009 - 15:24

• jonice08

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009

Excuse my ignorance...by Sinville do you mean Sihanoukville?

#3 Posted: 16/12/2009 - 07:11

• oscarcat

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2008
    Location Cambodia

Yes sorry my bad!

#4 Posted: 16/12/2009 - 11:41

• candyman

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2009

I personally wouldn't miss Kampong Cham, but it's one of my favorite places in Cambodia. Small town on the river, might be in line with you doing things at a slowish pace because that is how everything is done there. I'd head over to Koh Bine--an island in the river, there is a bamboo bridge or a barge that heads over there(depends on time of year) south of the bridge. Just a pretty island. And Kampong Cham is a short bus ride away (3 hrs)--about 3 days there would be nice.

#5 Posted: 17/12/2009 - 03:44

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I think 3 weeks is fine and it all depends on what your are looking for the suggested itinerary can easily be done in 3 weeks at leisurely pace. Kep/Kampot is more for couples seeking quiet natural laid back setting and good for few days. Sihanoukville is more for backpackers, beach and nightlife/socializing. Most (non-budget) couples I speak to are not too thrilled about Sihanoukville. Few days Phnom Penh and few days Angkor should be about right. Add a few traveldays (especially to Siem Reap if you do not fly) and your 3 weeks are done.

If you're seeking things a bit more off the beaten Battambang is indeed a good choice. I have never been to Kampong Cham (nor heard much exciting about it). Also Mondulkiri is pleasant but a bit more out of the way.

#6 Posted: 18/12/2009 - 11:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.