Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

3 weeks in Cambodia

Posted by itchyfeet on 9/12/2009 at 11:21

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are currently trying to roughly plan out our trip to Cambodia in January. We are flying from Cambodia to India and want to buy those tickets so it's forcing us to come up with a departure date from Cambodia. Which brings me to my question... we want to make sure that we allow ourselves enough time in Cambodia so that we don't feel rushed-would 3 weeks be a good amount of time?
We plan on arriving from Phu Quoc Island and hitting Kampot, Kep, Sihanoukville, Phnom Penh, Siem Reap at the bare minimum. We do like to take things at a slowish pace ...would we be pushing it or would this be about right? We can allow for more time if need be.
Look forward to any advice you may have.
Cheers,
Meg

#1 itchyfeet has been a member since 24/7/2006. Posts: 19

Posted by oscarcat on 9/12/2009 at 15:24

Month would be better imho, don't miss Battambang! Day or 2 in Kep assuming you're going to Rabbit Island (can't see why else you'd go...?) week in Kampot, 3-5 days in Sinville, 3-5 days in BB, up to a wk. (if you really MUST spend 3 days @ Angkor) in Siem Reap, up to a wk. in Phnom Penh. Sorted.

#2 oscarcat has been a member since 11/11/2008. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 66
 Twitter 

Posted by jonice08 on 16/12/2009 at 07:11

Excuse my ignorance...by Sinville do you mean Sihanoukville?

#3 jonice08 has been a member since 28/11/2009. Posts: 8

Posted by oscarcat on 16/12/2009 at 11:41

Yes sorry my bad!

#4 oscarcat has been a member since 11/11/2008. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 66
 Twitter 

Posted by candyman on 17/12/2009 at 03:44

I personally wouldn't miss Kampong Cham, but it's one of my favorite places in Cambodia. Small town on the river, might be in line with you doing things at a slowish pace because that is how everything is done there. I'd head over to Koh Bine--an island in the river, there is a bamboo bridge or a barge that heads over there(depends on time of year) south of the bridge. Just a pretty island. And Kampong Cham is a short bus ride away (3 hrs)--about 3 days there would be nice.

#5 candyman has been a member since 20/10/2009. Posts: 20

Posted by eastwest on 18/12/2009 at 11:42

I think 3 weeks is fine and it all depends on what your are looking for the suggested itinerary can easily be done in 3 weeks at leisurely pace. Kep/Kampot is more for couples seeking quiet natural laid back setting and good for few days. Sihanoukville is more for backpackers, beach and nightlife/socializing. Most (non-budget) couples I speak to are not too thrilled about Sihanoukville. Few days Phnom Penh and few days Angkor should be about right. Add a few traveldays (especially to Siem Reap if you do not fly) and your 3 weeks are done.

If you're seeking things a bit more off the beaten Battambang is indeed a good choice. I have never been to Kampong Cham (nor heard much exciting about it). Also Mondulkiri is pleasant but a bit more out of the way.

#6 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.