Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Visa and Money Questions

• dameon

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2009

Hello all,
    My apologies if these questions have been asked and answered already, I did do a search, honest.

I will be crossing into Cambodia overland, and have heard about how the border officials supplement their income at Hat Lek crossing. Has anyone recently used the e-visa for overland crossing and if so how did it go? Or does anyone know how long it takes to get a visa at the Bangkok embassy.

Second question is in regards to money, I will be carrying US dollars, I know I should have crisp clean bills, is getting change a problem with larger bills, should I bring mostly fives, tens and twenties?
    Thanks for your help! Looking forward to this adventure! Current Toronto temp is a balmy -12!

#1 Posted: 16/12/2009 - 09:53

• Advertisement

• oscarcat

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2008
    Location Cambodia

I would certainly try to avoid getting 50s and 100s from banks as they could prove troublesome to change, also hang on to those 1 dollar bills very handy for when you tell the moto driver you only have 1 dollar on you...
    I recently crossed at Ko Kong with no e visa and paid 1000 bahts (reduced from 1200 after much protestation) so will be looking into evisa for next time (about a month away)

#2 Posted: 16/12/2009 - 11:35

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

hi,
    No experience of evisa, but it cost me 1,000 baht for the visa +US$1 for a entry stamp, (that according to the guide I shouldn't have paid but it was all friendly and no delays!). I avoided the 'medical' fee of US$1 by showing my vacation card!

Small bills are always best but we had no trouble and ATM's give money in US$ so you don't have to stock up before entering. (Canadia ATMs do not charge a withdrawal fee as of 4 months ago).

Typically, change is giving in dollars except for parts of a dollar. So something sold for $3:50 handing over a $5 note will get you US1 and 2,000 local washers in change.
    Have a good trip

#3 Posted: 31/12/2009 - 19:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
money questions re arrival in Luang Prabang ... By EdwardTrunk on 10 Jan 2014 5 1233 12 Jan 2014