Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Sim card in Sihanoukville

• Petros

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2009

Is permitted to buy a sim card for my mobile phone in Cambodia like the local people? And what company is the best for calls in Europe?
    I mean to buy a sim card alone, without helping me someone with his local ID.

#1 Posted: 20/12/2009 - 18:03

• Advertisement

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

At least as of last summer, you needed a Cambodian to buy the SIM for you. Mfone was cheap for calling Europe.

#2 Posted: 21/12/2009 - 06:11

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You need to get a local to either buy the card for you, or buy the local's card off them (and they'll go get a new one). $5 is the going rate -- in Phnom Penh at least.

#3 Posted: 21/12/2009 - 08:42

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

The policy has now changed it seems. I bought a local sim card 2 weeks ago at the airport.All they do is take a photocopy of your passport. The company was SMILE

#4 Posted: 21/12/2009 - 12:31

• oscarcat

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2008
    Location Cambodia

Bought one sim in Sihanoukville 2 wks ago, Beeline, 6$ plus credit, rubbish tho wldn't reccomend this co. as apparently they have undercut every1 else (Russians I am told) and people have difficulty ringing me because (I am told) the other operators mess with connection. Subsequently bought a metfone sim in Kampot, 2$ with credit included. Both times just walked into a shop paid the readies and walked out with sim no ID cards passports or any other shenagins. Try Rogue on Serendipity Rd.

#5 Posted: 21/12/2009 - 14:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.