Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Travelfish query

• grumpy

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2010

I recently travelled around Cambodia and got friendly, as you do, with many of the guesthouse owners and staff.

Now, on this site it claims that it reviews "anonymously" but nearly every single place i went they claimed to know the "travelfish" people, gave names and also said when they'd been through.

So come on, which is it? Are Travelfish people reviewing anonymously or are they not?

#1 Posted: 3/1/2010 - 06:55

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Grumpy,

All researchers are instructed to work on an anonymous basis -- and that is what we base the statement on. Obviously some places spring to what is going on and ask the researcher who they're working for. Also, as we use researchers who live in the region and are frequent travellers themselves, it isn't unusual that they know some of the owners -- just as I do -- I'd know dozens of guesthouse owners and many of them know what I do for a living.

What isn't supposed to be happening is the researcher showing up, announcing themselves at the front door and getting the run of the place -- if that is what the guesthouse owners are saying I'd like some more information please -- need not be the names of the guesthouses, but the names of the researchers and when the guesthouse owners reckon they passed through would give me something I could better comment on.

Lastly, while unlikely, in the past we've had problems where travellers were fronting up to guesthouses, saying they worked for us (they didn't) and asking for free rooms in return for a listing. We only found out about this when some of the places that had been scammed got in touch with us asking why they were yet to be listed on the site.

Hope that helps to clarify.

#2 Posted: 3/1/2010 - 15:37

• grumpy

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2010

Admin

I'm not buying your reply I'm afraid.

Your reviewers are either anonymous or they're not.

You can't make a big claim on the front of your site about something and then reveal caveats at a later date.

It was very very obvious when I was travelling in Cambodia that your researchers were making sure everyone knew who they were.

And no, I am not going to mention the names.

Grumpy

#3 Posted: 4/1/2010 - 19:23

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

That's ok -- I'm not selling it.

Obviously if you aren't going to tell me the name(s) that you've been told nor the times these people visited, then it makes it difficult for me to follow up on.

Unless you're able to add some kind of points for me to chase up on, there's not much I've to add to this.

CHeers

#4 Posted: 4/1/2010 - 19:28

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

And minor point I know, but we don't "make a big claim on the front of our site" regarding this -- in fact it isn't mentioned at all.

#5 Posted: 4/1/2010 - 19:31

• theCATALYST

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2009
    Location Philippines

So, anyone from your researchers can advise me of an ideal guesthouse there in Angkor Wat or Xavanakhet in Laos? I will be travelling alone by end of this month either of these two towns. How much and where? It will be a chance to know something about Grumpy's query.

#6 Posted: 5/1/2010 - 09:26

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Grumpy, now you've made all these accusations, I don't quite understand why you refuse to provide names and dates as requested so that Somtam can check out what you say?

You do only have 3 posts to your name you know, and 2 of those are in this thread!

#7 Posted: 5/1/2010 - 11:49

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

theCATALYST -- best you look at the relevant sections within the site, so the accommodation sections in the Siem Reap and Savannakhet sections.

Cheers

#8 Posted: 5/1/2010 - 14:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.