Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Sen Monorom - worth the journey??

• dispoiler

Joined Travelfish
    26th November, 2009

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about Sen Monorom, ie is it worth the 10hour ride? Many places seem to suggest the countryside has been spoilt so I am wary about spending a day traveling to disappointed..

I've also heard that finding an English speaking guide is very difficult, does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Thanks in advance,

Aidan

#1 Posted: 7/1/2010 - 00:45

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

If you have the time (ie at least three or four days) then I'd say yes it is worth going. There's a range of activities (waterfalls, elephants, village trekking etc) and also some good places to stay (in particular Nature Lodge). I'd not heard of difficulty in getting English speaking guides though.

#2 Posted: 7/1/2010 - 12:40

• dispoiler

Joined Travelfish
    26th November, 2009

Hi,

Thanks for the help.

I wanted to go to be more off the tourist route but I might end up there in Sept/Oct will this still be OK as its the rainy season isn't it?

#3 Posted: 7/1/2010 - 22:27

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The road can be a bit of a nightmare in the wet -- I'd go for a 4WD share taxi/pickup at that time of the year -- they run from up near Wat Phnom in Phnom Penh. If the road is in a bad state the bus can take forever and some.

Yes it is pretty off the tourist trail -- I've been there twice and neither time was there more than a half dozen backpackers in town.

#4 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 07:56

• dispoiler

Joined Travelfish
    26th November, 2009

Have you any idea how I would organise a pick-up? I've been told its a case of waiting and setting off early in the morning, but it doesnt seem like a very reliable way of getting somewhere? I am, I am afraid, an utter novice when it comes to knowledge of SE Asia...

What times of the year did you go, if you dont mind my asking? I wanted to see Cambodia later on in the year so that the moats around Angkor Wat were full, and the waterfalls in full swing; is this a good idea or am I just inviting trouble?

#5 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 15:28

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

Seeing Angkor (and Cambodia in general) in the wet season is a good idea in my opinion. Everything's all green and lovely. I haven't been to Sen Monorom, so can't comment on that, but I was in Rattanakiri in the rainy season and had a good time there, even if it was pretty muddy.

#6 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 19:24

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You don't need to organise it -- it is a daily run -- you just need to show up. Yes pretty early, I got there around 6am from memory.

I've been once in wet season and once in November. The wet season road is bad -- very bad. As per Lother a lot of mud.

Angkor is great in wet season -- fewer people, more birdlife, generally lusher -- and yes, muddier!

#7 Posted: 9/1/2010 - 11:08

• dispoiler

Joined Travelfish
    26th November, 2009

Thanks for the comments.

somtam2000; would you suggest Sen Monorom in the wet or dry season then? I am currently considering getting there in Sept, and Angkor the same month.

I suppose on the plus side if its muddy, that means it cant be dusty....and definately not using the mini bus that can be organised by Nature Lodge? Speaking of which this comment is a little worrying..

http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation_profile/cambodia/northeastern_cambodia/mondulkiri/sen_monorom/all/3923

is this where you stayed somtam2000?

#8 Posted: 9/1/2010 - 15:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.