Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

From one end of Tonle Sap to the other

• dispoiler

Joined Travelfish
    26th November, 2009

Hi all,

I seem to remember seeing a map that suggested there was a boat that ran from Siem Reap to the end near Kompong Chhnang? Does anyone know if such a boat exists, how long it would take etc?

Thanks,

Aidan

#1 Posted: 7/1/2010 - 01:06

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Aiden,

The Phnom Penh to Siem Reap ferry (runs daily) stops near Kompong Chhnang -- is that the one you are thinking about?

#2 Posted: 7/1/2010 - 12:41

• dispoiler

Joined Travelfish
    26th November, 2009

Hi,

I think that is the one yes! Do you have/or know where I can get any details on this boat? prices, duration etc

Ive heard the trip from Battambang to Siem Reap is nice but would the one from Phnom Penh be worth doing as an atternative to the bus that everyone seems to take, do you know?

Thanks again

#3 Posted: 7/1/2010 - 22:30

• Missis

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

Hello

I was just going to write this up from when we took the ferry from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap . It is very expensive compared to the bus, however it is a lovely trip and well worth the extra of $34 each - yep, $34!! I don't know if it is cheaper if you shop around, we didn't really have time to unfortunately. The ferry is very sleek, long and pointy sort, fast too.

If you do decide on taking the boat it is possible to sit on the top the entire journey (approx 5 hours) however do not for the suntan lotion! Because of the speed it can feel cooler and we have been told that many people have been caught out that way. I recommend trying to get near the front on top if possible, best view and not much spray. If you can't hop up there is a foot plate further down to climb up - the deck does get wet though so be careful.

Remember not to sit right in the middle at the front - several tried on our trip and got loudly tooted at by the driver - who couldn't see!!

As the ferry does not stop very near Siem Reap there are tuk tuks at the other end, we arranged a free pick up through our Guesthouse with the mini van as there was 5 of us (although they expressed a hope that we would hire such van while we were there!)

Expensive but worth it if you have the extra cash.

Enjoy

Missis

#4 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 00:25

• dispoiler

Joined Travelfish
    26th November, 2009

Thanks Missis,

When you say not very near Siem Reap, how far do you mean?

I really wanted to do the boat for the scenery really and it seems most people take the bus..do you actually get to see much in the way of scenery?

Did you organise the boat trip through your hotel in Phnom Penh?

Thanks again!

#5 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 02:03

• Missis

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2009

Memory fades so quickly! We think it was about 15 minutes, by tuk tuk may be a little longer. Yes you do see a lot of scenery, and when Tonle Sap opens up and there is nothing on the horizon all round you realise how big the lake is (in December anyway, which was just after the wet season). You also see a far amount of floating houses/villages too, the boat slows down going through them to minimise wash. It was a great way of incorporating a visit to Tonle Sap without making it a day trip.

We organised through a trip organiser/internet cafe on the front at Phnom Penh. We stayed at the Cozyna Hotel, turn left out of the hotel and hubby says it's definitely no further than 500 yards - again, memory fades on the finer details! I don't remember the name however it was the only one we saw and was obviously selling day trips and tickets for buses/boats etc. $34 includes a pick up charge of $1 - we had heavy bags! However you could walk to the dock, a few blocks further down again.

Another thing about the scenery, the olds said they saw a lot from inside, but I think that views would be restricted and outside is much better, so the trip is OK if you can guarantee no rain!

Remember also that the helpful people taking your bags to and from the boat will actually need paying, so if your bags are light enough do it yourself.

#6 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 02:26

• dispoiler

Joined Travelfish
    26th November, 2009

Missis,

I will probably end up shopping around to get the best deal, but I think im set on doing the trip by boat now although it will probably be around Sept time.

Thanks for the advice; very much appreciated!

#7 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 15:19

• Missis

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2009

I am sure you will not be disappointed, glad to be of help.

#8 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 20:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.