Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Siem Reap to Phu Quoc via PP

Posted by bretandgerri on 10/1/2010 at 11:42

Hi there, I'm just trying to work out the quickest way of getting to Phu Quoc from Siem Reap via Phnom Penh ? I know you can fly from HCMC (we are booked to fly back from Phu Quoc to HCMC) but don't want to miss out on Phnom Penh on the way! At the moment it's looking like boat from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh, Phnom Penh to Chau Doc by speedboat, Chau Doc to Can Tho by bus, Can Tho to Rach Gia by bus, and fly to Phu Quoc from Rach Gia. This is taking about a week and we're running short on time - anyone know a quicker way? Cheers!

#1 bretandgerri has been a member since 10/1/2010. Posts: 8

Posted by somtam2000 on 13/1/2010 at 13:30 admin

Yup, that is about the quickest way!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,434
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Seba on 13/1/2010 at 15:04

You can go directly from Chau Doc to Rach Gia by minivan, that's what I did last week (expect crappy and highly overloaded minivan though)...you can book it from yur hostel and it leaves the next-day at 7am...we then took a flight from Rach Gia to Phu Quoc the next day...

#3 Seba has been a member since 28/4/2009. Posts: 54

Posted by bretandgerri on 17/1/2010 at 05:10

Awesome, thanks so much Seba!! And about how long does this crappy and overloaded minivan take?

#4 bretandgerri has been a member since 10/1/2010. Posts: 8

Posted by Seba on 17/1/2010 at 19:35

it left very early (7.30 or so) it was about 3 hours if I remember correctly...the only thing to keep in mind is that some overnights are unavoidable: if you take the boat from PP to Chau Doc, you'll have to overnight there (the boat only arrives at dusk), then take this minivan the next mroning to Rach Gia , there stay overnight as well to catch the flight the next day (you'll arrive too late in Rach Gia in any case to catch that 1 flight a day)

#5 Seba has been a member since 28/4/2009. Posts: 54

Posted by bretandgerri on 4/3/2010 at 19:00

Posted from within Vietnam.

Just wanted to follow up on Seba's comment above (re: "crappy and highly overloaded minivan"). Have just arrived in Rach Gia via said minivan, and wanted to warn prospective travellers that "highly overloaded" doesn't even come close! We had 21 people in an 8-seater minivan, travelling at breakneck speed - not for the faint hearted!! Pretty stressful few hours, wouldn't recommend it!

Would also add that all the other backpackers in the van headed staright for the boat to Phu Quoc (we're flying over in the morning). There's really nothing to do in Rach Gia, so would recommend jumping straight on the boat and not waiting for the morning flight.

#6 bretandgerri has been a member since 10/1/2010. Posts: 8

Posted by Seba on 4/3/2010 at 19:34

yes, 21 in a 8-person minivan, that was exactly my count as well when i did that, I even took a picture of it.... we even picked up some monks along the way which couldn't sit next to my girlfriend so we had to reshuffle as well, crazy ride!

#7 Seba has been a member since 28/4/2009. Posts: 54

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.