Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

If you had to choose: Phnom Penh or Battambang

• Bear

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2010

Hello all,

I only have 5 nights to visit Cambodia (I can be flexible -- could be 4 or 6 nights). I'll arrive to Cambodia from Lao via plane, and will be exiting Cambodia from Siem Reap . Sadly, I don't have the luxury of time during this trip and have decided to focus my time (10 nights) in two areas: Luang Prabrang and Siem Reap. My interests are hiking, cafes, food, historical sites and getting to know locals and other travelers. Not so much into night life or adventure sports. While I don't like to always be on the move, I do like a change of scenery and atmosphere.

My primary reason for visiting Siem Reap is (of course) Angkor, but I'm not sure that I want to spend more than 3 nights in Siem Reap, given that it is the most touristed area of the country. I am thinking about 2 nights in either PP or Battambang. Which city would give me the best change of pace, or a different taste of Cambodia?

Thank you in advance.

#1 Posted: 13/1/2010 - 09:06

• Advertisement

• Husko

Joined Travelfish
    13th October, 2007

BB is a small town with some temple and rural vistas out of town. If you do not like cities then go to BB. BB has a more relaxed feel than PP or SR but with less cafes and traveller hang outs.

I liked both but they are very different.

#2 Posted: 13/1/2010 - 16:12

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I'm not a fan of PP as a city, but it is where Tuol Sleng (S-21) and the Killing Fields are based - which I believe are worth visiting from the perspective of learning a bit about the history of the Khmer Rouge period.

The other interesting thing to do in PP is to visit the Phnom Tamao Wildlife Rescue Centre. You can do this cheaply on your own ($5 entry plus your transport to get there), but I did it with Betelnut Tours for $30, and thought it was an excellent day. Groups are limited to 6 (although there were only 2 of us on the day that I went) and you ride in the back of a jeep for 40kms to the centre. Once there, you get a guided tour around the place, a lunch provided by the Lazy Gecko Cafe, and you get special access to the elephants and feeding time for the tigers.

More info on the wildlife centre is here: http://www.betelnuttours.com/index.htm

Bus ride between Phnom Penh and Siem Reap is about 5.5 hours on fairly reasonable buses. Cost is between $7 and $12.

Haven't been to BB, so can't provide a comparison.

#3 Posted: 13/1/2010 - 22:35

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Total reviews: 19
    Places visited:
    At least 98

For cafes, food and historical sites PP wins hands down. There is good food everywhere. Palace and museum are good. A lot of colonial PP is still intact and worth a look - including the central market. Then there's Tuol Sleng etc.

IMHO, Battambang is a squalid little town, however we enjoyed lazy bike riding around the environs and a bum-numbing trip on the bamboo railway.

#4 Posted: 14/1/2010 - 08:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Phnom Penh to Battambang ... By icet2sugars on 30 Apr 2006 3 2091 1 May 2006
Phnom Penh to Battambang ... By meeshakar on 10 Nov 2011 0 2075 10 Nov 2011
Train from Battambang to Phnom Penh ... By Gifta on 15 Sep 2007 3 2577 16 Sep 2007
Phnom Penh to Battambang then to Siem Reap... ... By meeshakar on 3 Feb 2012 2 3129 10 Feb 2012
Phnom Penh to Battambang - Train still running? ... By pollitoriquito on 27 May 2012 8 2904 12 Jun 2012
Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Phnom Penh ... By CaptainJack on 1 Mar 2014 1 1394 2 Mar 2014