Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Who is a good tuk tuk driver or guide in Siem Reap?

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Threads recommending individual tuk tuk drivers and guides in Siem Reap and Angkor Wat are becoming more and more common -- and not all of them are really by guests -- yes tuk tuk spam has come to Travelfish!

As such, we've set this up as the only thread for tuk tuk driver and guide recommendations on Travelfish. All other threads are being deleted and transferred to this thread.

If you want to recommend a tuk tuk driver or guide , good on you -- but please keep in mind the following thoughts:

*) Recommendations by one time posters and brand-new members will be deleted.
    *) Posts that we determine to be fake or written by those associated with the tuk tuk driver or guide being touted will be deleted.
    *) This thread is only for recommendations -- anything else will be removed.

Please bear in mind that Siem Reap is awash in really good tuk tuk drivers and guides -- it is NOT necessary to organise one beforehand (which will almost always cost you more than arranging one on arrival).

Thanks

#1 Posted: 13/1/2004 - 12:38

• Advertisement

• lucyhudson

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2006

Hi all,

Myself and my husband had a wicked day in Angkor and had a lovely, reliable tuk tuk driver. He was at our beck and call all day and even drove us to the airport at the end of the day too as part of the price.

We paid $15 and he picked us up at 7.30am and took us to the airport at 7.30pm.

If you want to pre-book him, his name is Saron and his email address is saronotto@yahoo.com.

Enjoy!

#2 Posted: 12/4/2007 - 22:51

• ozscott

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2007

Folks,

Looking for a tuk-tuk driver for your visit to Siem Reap (Angkor Wat) - look no further!!!

I have just returned from my 2nd Cambodia visit, and have used the following tuk-tuk driver on both occassions - he's totally reliable, friendly, speaks good english, and an enjoyable person to have with you on your Siem Reap (Angkor Wat) trips...

Soryar Tour - Kim Soryar & Kim Soyean (brothers).

e-mail Soryar and Soyean at: Kimsoryar@yahoo.com

I used Soyean on both occassions, was totally pleased, and thoroughly reccommend.
    Contact Soryar and Soyean to let them know you're interested in a reliable tuk-tuk driver for your Siem Reap visit.
    Tell Soryar or Soyean that Scott & Doreen from Australia reccommended you to use their services - you'll be more than happy!

Local Siem Reap airport pickup/drop-off if you need.
    Taxi ride from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap if you need.
    Tuk-tuk or air-con car/van around siem Reap.

#3 Posted: 10/4/2008 - 18:09

• Jacster

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2006

I'd like to add my recommendation for Long Dy.

An absolutely delightful young guy, working hard to get himself started. He'll look after you well and go wherever you want to go for as long as you want to go.

I also took off for a long drive out to Beng Melea on his motorbike - an excellent day.

Call him on (Cambodian mobile) 017322519. He'll pick you up, arrange cool accommodation with a pool for 15 dollars and take you around the temples.

Tell him Jackie and Paul from Scotland sent you!

Enjoy.

#4 Posted: 5/5/2008 - 19:29

• dixonstreet

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2008

$12 a day is about right,i dont tip but its up to you,used tuk tuk drivers for angkor wat and town i used a guy called mr tar he was ok speaks good english and ok driver

#5 Posted: 7/6/2008 - 14:22

• lennybruce

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2008
    Location Netherlands

There are a lot of tuk tuk drivers and many of them are great people including clearly all those mentioned here. But I am going to add my two cents here.

My driver, who I used for six days was also a great guy. I am a war veteran and he was a young adolescent when the Pol Pot horrors began. On our third day we opened up to each other with stories from our experiences. I was lucky enough to also get to know his family as I spent a half day in his village to meet his family and share a meal. I was so moved by the Cambodian people in general and his efforts to make a better future for his family that I just put together a website promoting Angkor Wat and maybe getting some more business for Savuth.

You can check it out if you want at www.angkortuktuk.org

#6 Posted: 9/7/2008 - 23:20

• lennybruce

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2008
    Location Netherlands

$55 for three days is a lot unless you were to go to the temples or locations that are much further away than then area covered by the area Angkor Wat - Angkor Thom - East and West Baray.

Pretty much the normal rates for that area are now $12-$13 so $10 is a good deal indeed. Although I must say, that with the price of gas, the soaring costs of rice and other foodstuffs and the stiff competition between the drivers, those $2 - $3 dollars every day becomes a very big deal to a struggling driver with a family and for many tourists $2 - $3 is really not that much (barebones backpackers and other people to whom that amount is a lot excluded of course). So please don't try and nickle and dime too much.

ALSO VERY IMPORTANT to know is that when you book through the hotel, up to 50% of the fares go to the hotel so as the above author did, you are doing a driver a huge favor to not book thru the hotel.

#7 Posted: 1/8/2008 - 17:17

• brea

Joined Travelfish
    5th August, 2008

I went to the Temples with an animated fellow called Tom. He is amiable, charming and he loves the black box. If you are in Siem Reap you should definitely take the time to contact him at the following email address:

thomasnget_man@yahoo.com

#8 Posted: 26/8/2008 - 19:41

• Layabout

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2008

If you stay near Two Dragons G/H there is a driver called Mr Sith who is very helpful and took us to a lot of the distant temples one of them was 30klm away as well as Angkor Wat & Angkor Thom and trip to airport for $65. I thought this was a reasonable price as I was comparing it to what I would pay at home.

#9 Posted: 19/9/2008 - 17:47

• Latch

Joined Travelfish
    30th September, 2008

If you go to Siem Reap you will most likely be mobbed my pushy, unfriendly Tuk-Tuk drivers within seconds.

But we found a great guy called Mr Bee (Alex) who doesn't get much business because he is just too nice! Rather then bother us, like the rest of the Tuk-Tuk drivers there, he asked how we were and whether we were having fun.

He took us wherever we wanted to go, as well as coming up with recomendations for where we SHOULD go, and was cheap compared to booking through a hotel.

We spent two of the best days of a three week holiday with him, and would advise anyone heading there to get in touch with him.

His email address is bee_personal (at) hotmail.com

Honestly, look him up - and have a great, hassle-free stay in Siem Reap.

Tom

#10 Posted: 30/9/2008 - 22:16

• Advertisement

• Apoloplaza

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2009

Recently returned from a honeymoon in Vietnam, Cambodia and Bangkok...

Per recommendations here and on Lonely Planet Thorntree, we used Kim San as our guide. His contact info is sourtkimsan@yahoo.com, and his website is http://www.angkor-guides.com/.

Kim San has ample experience as guide (he worked as a guide for 8 years before opening up his own company), and has even worked with the Amazing Race crew when they were in Siem Reap (he gave them their clue).

His price was very, very fair, and his English language skills were good. Overall, he was a great guide!

#11 Posted: 14/1/2009 - 10:27

• kellyj525

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2009

My two cents....

I have remained in contact with my tuk tuk driver from Feb 2005 ever since and will be using him again in Oct. His name is Sopheak and he is a gem. He charges $12 per day.

I agree with the big tippers. Sopheak told me he was able to go take English and Spanish classes with the extra $ I paid him.

Also, I started running out of cash from giving money away so in the morning before heading out to the ruins, I made a stop at a bakery and bought bags full of croissants to give kids at the ruins for breakfast. It became a daily ritual and I cannot tell you how much fun it was and the kids loved them... especially the ones with chocolate chips.

P.S. Sopheaks's email address... forgot to mention.

vuthsopheak2005 at yahoo dot com

#12 Posted: 11/5/2009 - 01:27

• Cocodrilo

Joined Travelfish
    17th July, 2008
    Total reviews: 15

Can I tout my friend who is a guide, too? :-)
    His name is Thoeun and he works on archaelological excavations in the area, he knows his ruins!
    http://www.tourguideangkor.com/

#13 Posted: 14/5/2009 - 17:40

• jessieo

Joined Travelfish
    20th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 4

Another driver recommendation - in case these guys are busy!

Pi Sith (P'Seet) is a 23 year old guy who is trying to support himself and his younger brother while they go to school - he really wants to go to guiding college and is trying to save up. He is gentle, kind and sweet and speaks great English (he is a bit shy - and that's why we were drawn to him - rather than harass us he simply smiled and gestured to his tuk.) He charges 13 USD a day(and that was for 4), a bit more if you go far away. He can also arrange Kompong Phhluk and many other destinations.

He also took my 2 friends to a local Khmer nightclub - no tourists - and he is happy to sit and chat and drink a few beers after the long day of ruins! I really recommend him.

His Cambodian number is +855 9794 26471 and his email is sandy_wes@yahoo.com - he usually waits outside of Red Piano (he can't afford to pay a guesthouse to let him wait outside - school is expensive here!)
    Tell him that his tattooed pals from Canada sent you! :D

#14 Posted: 20/5/2009 - 12:53

• French_bull-
    dog65

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2009

We had Sila as our tuk tuk driver the 1st time we arrived in Siem Reap. He's such a lovely guy to get. Speaks decent English, patient and he's not calculative about every single mileage (huge importance as we don't want to go through the negotiation process every time). Sila has recommended places such as paddy fields, markets, villages when we have enough of paddy fields....

He doesn't overcharge, very honest and sincere young man. I strongly recommend that you get him for your stay in Siem Reap. You can either drop me a line or contact him direct at sengseila_2006@yahoo.com

#15 Posted: 20/10/2009 - 15:55

• slordan

Joined Travelfish
    24th August, 2009

I would like to make a recommendation for a tuk tuk driver in Siem Reap , by the name of Cobra. We landed in Siem Reap (beginning Nov 09) in complete darkness in the middle of nowhere it felt like. We met our tuk tuk driver there...he took us to our hotel free of charge, and making a deal that we would use him the following day - $15 for the whole day. It seems some may be cheaper but I don't mind paying them, they do a hell of a lot of drivng around for $15 - in fact we gave him much more than that, after paying for petrol and he got a puncture, it would have probably left him with less than 10 dollars.
    He took us to Angkor Wat, a few other temples, back into Siem Reap, then out to the floating village on Sonle Tap and back into Siem Reap again later...

He told us he is trying hard to study English and his English was quite good. He told us he comes from a big family and he is the only one that works.
    Contact - cobra111dj@yahoo.com

#16 Posted: 19/11/2009 - 07:22

• twinklez

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2009

I just came back from Cambodia a few days ago. Per recommendation by "pippy208" in above post #26, I hired Sra Pon to be our tuk-tuk driver for four and a half days in Siem Reap . He was exactly how "pippy208" described in post #26. He was very reliable. he was always on time every morning and he kept his tuk-tuk very clean and tidy. The seat was very soft and covered in fabric seats (most other tuk-tuks have vinyl seats), which is great when the roads are bumpy and the weather is hot!! He even supplied us with bottles of cold water and wet towels in his ice box everyday. He spoke very good English and he could also read English as we showed him the names of the temples we wanted to visit. He brought us to any place we wanted and he suggested other places also.

He may not be the fastest tuk-tuk driver in Siem Reap but he is the safest and most careful driver in Siem Reap. Everyday we did the morning tour of the temples, followed by 2-3 hour lunch break and rest at the hotel, then did the afternoon tour of the temples. He made good suggestions as when to visit certain temples to avoid crowds. He also took us to different restaurants and other interesting places we wanted to go at night without any complains.

His rates are very reasonable, in fact was slightly lower than the other tuk-tuk driver was asking.

I initially had problem contacting him via email because the email address "pippy208" provided was wrong. It was sra_pon@yahoo.com, not sra-pon@yahoo.com, with underline not the dash. In order to avoid this kind of confusion in the future, I set up a new email address for him.

You can contact him at srapon@ymail.com
    His phone number is (855) 89461575

You will never regret that you hired him to take you around!

#17 Posted: 10/12/2009 - 01:14

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Hi,

The guys outisde the Two Dragons were great fun - spent several days with them, and one night sitting with them, drinking and chatting... well recommended

Chris

#18 Posted: 13/1/2010 - 13:38

• JessandScott

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2008

We had a great experience with Mr Set - he was lovely, never pushy, waited around for us all day while we explored temples and had a great sense of humour.

We're kicking ourselves for not getting his details, but we found him outside the wonderful Rosy Guesthouse (on the river - # 0074, Phum Slor Kram) and I believe this is where you can normally find him. His tuk tuk says 'Mr Set' and his number is 4691.

Mr Set was our driver for 3 days and I believe we paid him $20 or a bit less a day - money very well spent. On one morning we'd organised for him to pick us up before sunrise so we could catch the rise over Angkor Wat, and slept in... he patiently waited several hours (we felt terrible!) until we came down, and just laughed about it.

We plan on finding Mr Set again when we return to Siem Reap and highly recommend him!

#19 Posted: 21/1/2010 - 12:06

• JessandScott

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2008

I forgot to mention that Mr Set speaks good English - we were able to communicate without much trouble (sometimes had to rephrase things but otherwise ok - I think our Aussie accents made things a little hard!), and that his tuk tuk is always clean and tidy.

#20 Posted: 21/1/2010 - 12:09

• climbg

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2009

hi all,

i spent five days in siem reap in dec last year. i browsed through travelfish before my trip and decided to organise a tuk tuk driver for the whole five days.
    i contacted one of the tuk tuk drivers recommended on this website. i was not disappointed. the tuk tuk driver was honest and he took me to other places of interests - not just the temples. he was more than happy to accommodate my impromptu itinerary.
    if anyone is interested, you can contact him on sengseila_2006@yahoo.com

cheers,
    c :)

#21 Posted: 8/2/2010 - 16:52

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Hi Kumanan,

We were recently in Siem Reap. The first day at the temples we didn't have a guide, but we got one the next day. While guidebooks provide you with the information you need, I didn't like walking around with my head in a book. The guide we had was very good with excellent English. The price seems pretty fixed at around $25US per day. I would suggest you meet with any guide the day before so you can make sure their English is good.

I would talk to other people in your guest house or hostel to see if you can travel with them or for recommendations on good guides.

Hope this helps.

#22 Posted: 21/2/2010 - 06:13

• bensiemreap

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2010

A good English Speaking temples tour guide rate:

High season (Oct - Mar) USD25/day
    Low season (Apr - Sep) USD20/day

You can also get someone is cheaper than this price but terrible English.

I hope this would help
    BEN

#23 Posted: 22/2/2010 - 10:42

• tayloroz

Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010

Hi,
    Based on recommendations from other travellers we organised our tours around Siem Reap with a driver named Kriss. he is punctual, polite, professional and also provides bottled water from his cooler at every stop along with a couple soft drinks thrown in during the day. He has a comfortable airconditioned car. He is not a guide himself but is very knoweldgeable about the temples and Cambodian life in general and his English is excellent. If you want a guide, he can organise one for you and given the standard of his other services, I am sure they would be excellent (I think he works with David -same David as mentioned in earlier post?) In Siem Reap you will find licensed drivers and licensed guides they are not one and the same. Anyway Kriss's address is http://www.siemreapdriver.travelerforum.net/. We contacted him before leaving Australia and he kept in touch regularly by email to confirm details, reorganise around our many changes of itinerary and check pick up times. Can't recommend him highly enough.

#24 Posted: 23/3/2010 - 12:15

• stoneman

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 9

Before I visited Siem Reap in 2008 I researched and shortlisted a few tuk tuk drivers. A week before I arrived I emailed and organised my driver to pick me up at 5am from my accom. on the first day (I invested in a 3 day pass). Given that there are so many recent recomms. for drivers I'll simply advise that you arrange your driver via email only. Settle on costs prior. I gave my driver my proposed 3 day itinerary and then relied on his local knowledge for suggested changes.

#25 Posted: 15/5/2010 - 21:44

• mrparanoid

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2008

Here is another Siem Reap based driver that I have used several times before and that I can recommend to anyone travelling in Siem Reap and beyond. Competitive prices, English speaking, and very service minded.

Email : bunhatangkor@yahoo.com

The same owners as thehttp://www.riversideroom.comNew Riverside Hotel[/url]

#26 Posted: 23/6/2010 - 15:45

• pomerol

Joined Travelfish
    17th July, 2010
    Total reviews: 2

In siem reap we stayed at the golden temple villa and they had reliable and farley priced tut tuk drivers.
    If you travel further on to Battambang, we can recommand Dr Blue, the tuk-tuk driver, to go and see the countryside around battambang and the bamboo-train. His price was very resonable, his english good but more important than that he has a lot of job-joy! Entertaining his costumers with little jokes and magic tricks. His costumers mean a lot to him, wich is very charming. He proudly keeps a book with foto's and notes of them. You can find him at the restaurant Smokin'pot. (also recommanded) On his tuk-tuk is a bat painted. If he is not hanging around there, ask for him at the restaurant, he is a friend of the family.

#27 Posted: 17/7/2010 - 22:02

• onesun

Joined Travelfish
    17th August, 2010

Back form Cambodia (October 2010) - and our tuk tuk driver completely changed our experience in Siem Reap. His name is "Mr. Date"... great English and genuinely wanted us to enjoy our time and help us understand Cambodia and the people that make it such an incredible place. He was about our age (late 20's..) so it was a great way to connect.. Mr. Date: Email: sokheounros@yahoo.com Mobile: 012.538.263

DONT just accept a tuk tuk driver from the guest house when you arrive - we did when planning to visit the temples, and although nice, he spoke almost no English! I would have never looked for driver info before and now I would never travel without looking this up again!!

#28 Posted: 17/10/2010 - 08:02

• piranha

Joined Travelfish
    3rd December, 2010

I have seen these tuk tuk and they are more like the auto rikshaw from Pakistan and India.

#29 Posted: 4/12/2010 - 17:40

• errik

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010

They are quite funny though.

#30 Posted: 7/12/2010 - 20:06

• piranha

Joined Travelfish
    3rd December, 2010

Quite handy though, they accomodate around 7-8 guys!!

#31 Posted: 8/12/2010 - 20:03

• TheNewGuy8

Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2010

I had a great experience with a driver I read about here - though for some reason I can't find the post that mentioned him.

His name is Sopheap Chan, he was very easy-going and punctual and in addition to being a great driver (I never feared for my life amid the ludicrous Cambodian traffic behaviors and he had great itineraries to suggest), he also spends his off hours running a charity for local children - getting them supplies and other things.

I'm still in touch with him and I really encourage anyone who is going to seek him out:

Contact info:
    siemreaptuktuk (at) yahoo (dot) com and his website is www.angkorwattuktuk.net

#32 Posted: 24/12/2010 - 04:24

• wildernesso-
    fsweets

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2010

2 days before we arrived in Siem Reap, we e-mailed a few recommended tuk tuk drivers on travelfish including Kim Soryar & Kim Soyean. Soryar got back to us right away (Kimsoryar@yahoo.com) and we ended up hiring his brother Soyean for 2 days in his tuk tuk. Soyean's English was very good and he gave us endless bottles of cold water and towels. His rates seem to be about the same as everyone else we asked - $13 for the day, plus extra for sunrise and farther sites like Bantrey Srei. There were lots of guides and drivers available even in the high January season although we noticed the quality of English (and French that we could understand) varied quite widely.

#33 Posted: 13/1/2011 - 07:36

• joniverstra-
    ete

Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2011

A good driver is a very good thing to have in Siem Reap . I live in Siem Reap and some drivers are very rude or overprice. Some also get lost everywhere and anywhere.
    My friend cham rouen is a good driver and speaks excellent English. He`s also an English teacher in a local school he set up himself. He enjoys to share his stories and is very nice.
    Number: +85517919315

#34 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 11:24

• DomesticG

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2010

I have just returned from Cambodia after a week. I managed to meet a nice young man by the name of Kimsrun who brought me around the Ang Kor Wat. His contact is +855 12567408 / +855 974812203. You can email him at kimsrun.transport@gmail.com if you are planning this in advance. Otherwise just get your hotel to buzz him. He speaks English, Thai, Cambodian & Japanese. He's did not charge me extra for sunrise or sunset. He would even drop us back to hotel after dinner when he sees us along Pub Street! He gave us a good price because we got him for 3 days.

#35 Posted: 24/1/2011 - 23:37

• lennybruce

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2008
    Location Netherlands

Always great to hear when someone returns so enthusiastic about their driver. To other readers please let me add some insight and context. No driver will charge you for sunset. Some drivers and guides will ask for a small supplement for sunrise which requires a pickup around 5 AM. If your driver doesn't do that it is because the competition for business is extreme since the economic crisis began a couple of years ago. But your driver will be up around 4 - 4.30 to get into town from his village. He will pick you up around 5 AM and be with you till maybe after sunset around 6 - 6.30 PM. And then you may see him trying to pick up some more business from the after-dinner crowd in town. Not because he has nothing better to do but because even after working all day with a guest, he hasn't made enough money to keep his and his family's head above water.

So don't begrudge a sunrise supplement. Even force your driver to take a few extra dollars if he offers you a free ride home because he sees you in town after you have had your dinner. The driver may not ask, he is far too generous in spirit and in heart and he really does appreciate your business. But believe me, the driver is worth it and has earned that sunrise supplement and a couple of bucks for that trip home.

#36 Posted: 24/1/2011 - 23:55

• urleandy

Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2011

Hi,
    I recommend you wait until you get to Siem Reap and either ask yourhotel, who will have a bunch of good, trusted drivers, or just talk toa few on the the street and see who you get on with, there are hundredsof drivers all keen for your business and you will be able to get afeel for their language skills etc.
    cheers

#37 Posted: 26/1/2011 - 16:26

• slordan

Joined Travelfish
    24th August, 2009

Adding to my earlier post here is Cobra's web site : http://cobra-cambodia.tumblr.com/

#38 Posted: 26/1/2011 - 17:00

• PtrixLondon

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2011

I know a very good and ambitious guide who's very fair and polite and speaks good English, he's trying to break through with a small travel agency as well. He charges fixed fees, always on time, clean and tidy unlike the others, we used him for 3 days around Siem Reap. His name is Saroun, contact details on his website:
    www.angkortuktukguide.com
    He charged from $7 for a small trip to $15 per day but I wasn't bargaining at all.
    I'm not a spammer, but genuine traveller, Saroun asked me to help him so I'm posting his details - a very nice guy who's struggling to survive! Any questions let me know! Patrick.

#39 Posted: 28/1/2011 - 00:54

• ozjohn

Joined Travelfish
    12th April, 2011

My wife and I had Mr Rong as our driver and would highly recommend him. We booked in advance to use the free airport pick up. He suggested an itinerary for us based on how long we were staying. He speaks great English and is super friendly and polite. The free cold water came in very handy when visiting the temples!

He can be contacted online at:
    http://friendlyangkordriver.com

#40 Posted: 12/4/2011 - 20:24

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

@ Cocodrilo (#13): I have to weigh in with a countervailing opinion about Mr. Thoeun. Last January (2011) we arranged to hire him for three different days during our week-long stay at Siem Reap. First day was around Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom; second was out to Koh Ker and Bang Malea. We found him to be unengaged and perfunctory, especially on the 2nd day, and always seemed in a bit of a rush. He was, in the bargain, on his cell phone a great deal of the time. It was such a disappointing and unsatisfactory experience, we cancelled the third day with him and went around on our own ... which we found more enjoyable.

#41 Posted: 6/5/2011 - 21:18

• morningsun

Joined Travelfish
    17th May, 2011

I have to agree with Sopheap Chan as a brilliant driver. So genuinly kind and friendly, with a passion for his country. I saw some of the countryside pictures he has taken and they were breathtaking, considering the basic camera he has.

I think the selling fact for me was the work he does in his spare time helping his village. And he goes out of his way to make sure you are happy. He's from the same hotel as Bunhat mentioned above - New Riverside Hotel, also brilliant people I stayed at this guesthouse for 7 weeks while volunteering in Cambodia. Sopheap always made me feel safe and never made me feel like an inconvenience. As someone else mentioned, these men are really struggling to care for their families. This does not excuse the agressive tactics by some, however please remember a couple of dollars means alot more to them than it does to you.

Keep up the good work Sopheap, I hope your business thrives because you certainly deserve it. I love seeing your new photos on facebook.

For those interested, siemreaptuktuk@yahoo.com or www.angkorwattuktuk.net. 017 354 144

#42 Posted: 17/5/2011 - 10:52

• wiriya

Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2011
    Location Thailand

Posted from within Vietnam.

I just came back from Cambodia a few days ago.I would like to make a recommendation for a tuk tuk driver in Siem Reap , by the name of Cobra.We paid $15 and he picked us up and took us to the airport at 8am.He spoke very good English and he could also read English as we showed him the names of the temples we wanted to visit.we used him for 3 days around Siem Reap.Very nice place...

#43 Posted: 26/5/2011 - 09:57

• Prettyfish16

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2011
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 10

We were lucky enough to bump into Mr Dara when my friend and I were negotiating our first day in Siem Reap. He helped us out with the map ! We started talking and he gave us a good quote for our 3 day Angkor Wat pass. He was very polite and not pushy at all. We took his phone number and said we'd call. We decided thst his were the best prices for two of our days and so used him.

We arranged to meet up and he was there on time and helped us through the purchasing of our tickets.

He was informative and his English is good - although there were still times of a blank face and lots of smiles. He knew where the best places were for photos and happily stopped for as long as we wanted. He even brought with him an ice box full of water bottles at no extra charge, which he tried giving to us to take at the end of the day.

He didn't rush us and was great company too. He told us a little about his family and we even got to meet two of his sisters.

His contact details are :

yuth_d@yahoo.com

Tel : [url=tel:097]097 8695 259[/url]

I hope you get in touch with him.

#44 Posted: 8/7/2011 - 14:04

• jonhstefan

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2011

I just came back from Siam Reap and would like to recomend an excellent driver I had.His name is Same and we used his services for 4 days. His english is quite good, he even carries a dictionary! He also speaks French. Hedrives very safely and is a great guide to Angkor and all surroundingareas. We especially loved the real Khmer restaurant that he took usto. No one there spoke english, so we wood have very hard time to orderanything without Same. We had a great feast for a fraction of the pricesin town. Same Knew where to go best at what time of day, but alsoallways considered what we would like to see the most. You can just lethim plan your day at breakfast and relax as he will give you anexcellent service, explain about temples, stop at good spots to eatalong the way.He works hard, is courteous, does not take advantage of you not knowing your way around. Make sure to tip him well at the end of your tripbecause he really deserves it. He also has great plans of starting an organisation to help Cambodian orphanage Inteligent and plesent. Jonh Stefan sent you.
    http://www.angkorbestdriver.com . if you would like his tuk tuk service for your angkor wat temple trip please give him a contact by Email :

samsavat99@yahoo.com
    samsavat168gmail.com

#45 Posted: 31/8/2011 - 23:46

• Georgie2810

Joined Travelfish
    13th July, 2011

I also recommend Sopheap Chan, he is an incredibly kind person who is very proud of his country. Honestly he is one of the most trustworthy and generous people I have encountered in Cambodia, as mentioned he does an enormous amount for people in his village through working with a local organisation.
    http://angkorwattuktuktours.yolasite.com/

Also Pilot drove me around, he speaks good English & French and is also very trustworthy. He is very funny and took me to lots of non-touristy Cambodian places, he seemed very excited to show me "his" Cambodia. Another really nice and trustworthy man, I had a wonderful time on my trips with Pilot!
    855 (0?) 12786904
    #275 Group 1B Taphul Village, Svay Dangkum Commune, SR

#46 Posted: 3/10/2011 - 17:54

• le1979

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2011

Hi all

Just back from siem Reap and we met a tuktuk driver called Mr Siv. He was fabulous. As an ex English teacher he speaks good English (other drivers were ringing him up and asking for the Khmer translation). He is also interested in the history of his country and was clearly passionate about it. As a result we got a tuk tuk driver and tour guide rolled into one. Really can't recommend him enough. His details are:

Mr Siv (Siam Reap province)
    Email sivpisey@yahoo.com (if that doesn't work try stvpisey@yahoo.com, I can't read his writing!)
    Phone: (+855)12217330

A great guy!!

#47 Posted: 6/10/2011 - 19:22

• pinoytravel-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012

I have tried Hai last May 2011 during my second visit to Siem Reap together with my family, and I am booking his services again on our next trip this year.

As a satisfied customer, I have no hesitation in recommending Hai. You can reach him through his e-mail address: haidriver86@gmail.com.

#48 Posted: 15/2/2012 - 06:51

• damil1234

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2011

Hi all,

Agreed re: Cobra the tuk-tuk driver in Siem Reap! He was a great guide, very polite (he introduced himself by saying "Hello madame, may I be of assistance?"), honest, and a fun guy to be around. He only charged us $15 for a one-day tour of Angkor Wat, a very fair price. He also hooked us up with a great tuk-tuk driver named Lucky in Phnom Penh to pick us up from the bus station. If you're in Siem Reap, definitely look up Cobra (others have posted his contact info on this page, but he also has a Facebook page called "Cobra's Tuk Tuk Adventures Siem Reap").

#49 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 14:28

• Vickyjin

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2012

I had great time in Cambodia with my driver, His name is Mr.Wonder, he's very friendly, polite, smile, and helpful. He charged me only $10 per day for Angkor Tour, it's so cheap. If I take him for my tour guide to explain for Angkor history. he charged me only $20 including transportation. Please contact him 070 450059. checking his website:www.angkorwonder.org

#50 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 13:52

• letmeinplz

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2012

Hi all,

Myself and my husband had a wicked day in Angkor and had a lovely, reliable tuk tuk driver. He was at our beck and call all day and even drove us to the airport at the end of the day too as part of the price.

#51 Posted: 7/8/2012 - 06:26

• passthatver-
    sace

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2012

I'm writing with yet another vouch for Sopheap Chan! I decided to take a 1-day tour of the Angkor site with Sopheap after seeing the recommendations for him on both Travel Fish and Lonely Planet. Sopheap was more than punctual, showing up at my guesthouse 30 min early at 4:30AM in the morning - just so I could see the sunrise at Angkor Wat. Sopheap was extremely patient - he told me to take as much time as possible to explore the temples on the itinerary. I never felt rushed! Sopheap went above and beyond the service that he offered by taking me to a local fruit stand after I inquired of him as to where I can purchase rambutans. Also, when he came to pick me up at my guesthouse after an afternoon break, it started POURING with rain; even with such bad road conditions, Sopheap's driving was superb. Sopheap's spoken English is very good as well, and he is in the process of learning Korean to appeal to more guests; that's how dedicated he is to his job! Although I've only spent a day with Sopheap, I can tell that he is a genuinely great person, in addition to being a perfect tuk tuk driver. On top of that - his rates are extremely fair and competitive (I paid $17 for the "Grand Tour"; the normal tour is $15/day). HIGHLY recommended! His contact info can be found on:

www.angkorwattuktuk.net

Just my 2 cents! :)

#52 Posted: 21/8/2012 - 11:10

• valentinafo-
    rno

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2012

Hello, I've contacted Sam Tuk Tuk because of the raving reviews on Tripadvisor, and the price he gave to me is the following, for the itinerary I've asked for.
    Day1- $15 small circuit
    Day2- $45 Kbal Spean + other temples
    Day3- $65 including toll road Phnom Kulen national park
    Does it sound reasonable to you?
    Thanks!

#53 Posted: 24/10/2012 - 09:15

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Regarding Vengafish's post: Caveat emptor.

#54 Posted: 25/10/2012 - 21:34

• Twerto

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2011

Didn't take the name of our Tuk Tuk driver but he was all we needed.

Just wanted to add $15/day is the going rate for a tuk tuk and We bought our tickets for Angkor gate $40 which was $20 a day and you get the 3rd day free.

There was one guy who had his pimped out as the Bat Mobile tuk tuk ( batman style ) all though we never used him he was always amusing to have banter with as we walked around Siem Reap at night.

#55 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 08:46

• Backpack30

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2012

Hi All,

is it necessery to contact to a guide before we go to Siem reap or Angkor or we can find any Tuk Tuk driver in there?
    which is more worthy?

thanks,

Cheers

#56 Posted: 9/11/2012 - 14:25

• Ova

Joined Travelfish
    14th December, 2012

If there's one guy I would recommend in Siem Reap , then it would have to be Pounn Kong. Pounn is incredibly nice and always provides great recommendations. He took us around Angkor for a day, we just let hime lead us where he thought were the best places and we had nothing to complain about. The next day we asked him to take us to a floating villages. Instead of taking us to the super-touristic and very expensive Chong Kneas, he took us to Kompong Phluk, much cheaper and more authentic. We loved the fact he never tried to overcharge us for anything, and his prices are completely average for a Siem Reap tuk-tuk.

Unfortunately all I have is his facebook address: he's the only Pounn Kong registered, so it won't be hard to find him

#57 Posted: 14/12/2012 - 02:59

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Backpack30:

No need to make prior arrangements for tuk tuk drivers. Once in Siem Reap, check with your guesthouse or hotel. They often have relationships with drivers and can recommend someone. If you decide you're not happy with that person, you can easily find someone else. Show up around Pub Street and you'll find dozens of them, ready to take you wherever you want. As someone else noted above, USD 15 is the typical all-day rate. Sunrise trips, rides out to Banteay Srei and so forth, and evenings out all will add to that.

#58 Posted: 14/12/2012 - 10:43

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

It never ceases to amaze me, how many first-time posters on this thread are such ardent fans of Mr. Sopheap Chan, the tuk-tuk driver. He must be really quite stellar. Or perhaps there's something else going on.

#59 Posted: 26/10/2013 - 10:03

• Carlamast

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2014

Motorbike Driving Gloves

#60 Posted: 16/10/2014 - 04:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Siem Reap - current prices for good guide and driver ... By basejump on 20 Mar 2009 5 5475 24 Apr 2009
Good driver / guide from Hoi An ... By pamfelt on 7 Dec 2009 0 2628 7 Dec 2009
Updated Siem Reap Guide ... By somtam2000 on 28 Dec 2009 0 4253 28 Dec 2009
Honda Win in Siem Reap - Good condition ... By peterk on 22 Feb 2012 1 913 29 Feb 2012
Honest local guide in PP and Siem Reap? ... By sputnik0 on 6 Jun 2008 0 3561 6 Jun 2008
visitcambo.com Siem Reap tour guide ... By visitcambo on 26 Aug 2010 0 2346 26 Aug 2010
New edition of Siem Reap and Angkor Wat pdf guide released ... By somtam2000 on 30 Jul 2009 3 7867 31 Jul 2009
Siem Reap Taxi Driver ... By kunkesey on 22 Jan 2008 2 5253 6 Jan 2012
2008 edition of Siem Reap Travelfish Guide released ... By somtam2000 on 16 Jan 2008 1 3584 18 Jan 2008
Angkor Tour Guide | Travel & Tours Packages Cambodia Siem Reap Phnom Penh ... By chhimvivath on 22 Apr 2007 0 4650 22 Apr 2007