Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Saigon - Angkor Wat - Phu Quoc - Saigon

• pandjack

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2010

Hi
    Just registered on Travelfish - what an awesome travel site!!
    Has anyone done this itinerary recently & if so,able to offer any advice on best mode of travel/timings/accommodation/pros-cons etc. Specifically,we're planning on spending a couple of days in Saigon,likewise in Angkor,a week on Phu Quoc then back across the Mekong delta to fly back to the UK from Saigon.
    Many thanks in anticipation

#1 Posted: 13/1/2010 - 19:54

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks -- glad you like the site!

I'd approach what you're doing something like this:

Saigon -> Phnom Penh by bus, overnight in Phnom Penh. Next morning either the bus or boat to Siem Reap and hang out there. Once you're done, bus back to Phnom Penh (you'll need to overnight again) then head to Kep on the Cambodian coast (share taxi is fastest). From there you can cross to Ha Tien in Vietnam from where there are now regular ferries running to Phu Quoc Island.

When you're done on the island, get the boat to Rach Gia then bus to Can Tho and hang out there to see the floating markets then on back to Saigon.

That's just one way to skin it, there are a few different routes to do what you have planned.

More questions, ask away.

#2 Posted: 14/1/2010 - 14:59

• jasinorbit

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

Thanks for the info, I am doing a trip in April with all of those arears (and a few more)Your suggestions have given me great ideas for the saigon - phu quoc- saigon part of my trip

Thanks

#3 Posted: 14/1/2010 - 18:42

• pandjack

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2010

Many thanks - invaluable info. How much time would you recommend we allow for each stage of travel?

#4 Posted: 14/1/2010 - 19:23

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Saigon to Phnom Penh: best part of a day
    Phnom Penh to Siem Reap: 5-8 hours
    Phnom Penh to Kep: 5 hours
    Kep to Ha Tien: a few hours
    Rach Gia to Can Tho: 3-4 hours
    Can Tho to Saigon: 4-5 hours

You'll get more info in the travel section for each town.

#5 Posted: 15/1/2010 - 09:26

• pandjack

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2010

Thank you very much for the prompt response - you've been extremely helpful.

#6 Posted: 15/1/2010 - 15:03

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Just check the lake conditions if you are thinking of travelling from Phnom Phen to Siem Reap by boat. Unless the lake is full you risk getting stuck... Not sure when the rainy season starts but right now it is the dry and our trip from Siem Reap to Battambang took nearly eleven hours as opposed to a 2.5 hour bus trip.

Last year a boat from Siem Reap to PP got stuck on the lake for more than 48 hours carrying over 200 passengers with no food and no water.

#7 Posted: 21/1/2010 - 15:45

• imago

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2010

I was exploring the same pathway, but dont have the luxury of time, am restricted to 5 days. Is it viable?

#8 Posted: 29/1/2010 - 09:17

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Hi Imago,

Not really, you would end up spending all your time travelling. Phu Quoc is a chill out type of island so you need at least a couple of days there to make it worth your while.

If you are not going to Phu Quoc there are other routes you can take through the delta to give you that experience.

#9 Posted: 29/1/2010 - 13:39

• imago

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2010

thanks kaz,
    some 12 yrs ago, I travelled vietnam doing the coastal route, and the delta. These few days were the opportunity to see angkor wat ( either convenient way via plane, or interesting way via delta), then adding an extra experience. Phu Quoc sounds nice, if not expensive for S.E Asia however I couldnt find any internal cambodian flights to gain efficiency.
    Have you any suggestions

#10 Posted: 1/2/2010 - 06:03

• Advertisement

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

There aren't any direct flights from Cambodia to Phu Quoc, you pretty much have to go through HCMC. Don't know your budget but if you fly Siem Reap to HCMC there are plenty of cheap flights to Phu Quoc. You should be able to get from Siem Reap to PQ in half a day, that would give you time on the island.

#11 Posted: 1/2/2010 - 15:47

• imago

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2010

appreciate your guidance. If i were to indulge myself in one overland adventure of the two, HCM to siam reap, OR Phnom Phen to Kep, which would be the wiser choice all considered.

#12 Posted: 1/2/2010 - 16:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
First Time Traveler from Saigon-Angkor-Saigon ... By fairybelle on 19 Oct 2010 4 3420 19 Oct 2010
From Phu Quoc to Saigon through the Mekong ... By cartolamagica on 10 Nov 2006 6 2328 11 Nov 2006
Angkor-Mekong Delta-Saigon ... By marianapagotto on 23 Jan 2010 5 3663 25 Jan 2010
Honda WIN 100 for sale Phu Quoc /M. Delta /Saigon ... By r1200gsa on 21 Apr 2012 0 564 21 Apr 2012
Saigon to Hanoi - and Saigon to Bangkok ... By drutherford on 17 Jan 2007 1 2301 17 Jan 2007