Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Tet / CNY in Cambodia

• damo

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2009

I'll be in Cambodia in a couple of days and I understand Tet and Chinese New Year fall on Feb 14th this year.

Will it be difficult to travel during this period? Do people celebrate anywhere near as much as in China and Vietnam? What to expect regarding festivals, fireworks, etc?

#1 Posted: 29/1/2010 - 15:35

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

No where near the impact on your life that you'll experience in Vietnam.I spent last CNY in Sihanoukville.Didn't see much in the way of celebrations but they certainly found it an excuse to DOUBLE the price of accommodation

#2 Posted: 29/1/2010 - 16:38

• Meljay

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2010

We were just talking about this last night and apparently Phnom Penh becomes a ghost town for a few days. Everyone heads to home to visit family or to the beach (hence the premium pricing down there). Not as big as Cambodian New Year (April I think) but we're told that a lot of shops in PP close down for a few days to a week.

#3 Posted: 1/2/2010 - 10:33

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Yes,Khmer New Year is April.
    Apart from the unbearable heat it's fun.
    Spent the best Khmer new year in Kirirom, went to a dance at the local wat.a great night but later it turned a bit ugly with the local youths fighting. Funny to see the monks taking on the role of bouncers and ejecting the troublemakers.
    On the theme of Tet.
    Anyone know the days the Vietnamese Embassy will be closed over Tet?
    It'll be more convenient for me to get a visa there than in Snooky.I'll be in Bangkok from 10-17th Feb.

#4 Posted: 1/2/2010 - 14:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.