Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Postage Stamp Scam

• borisborough

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

I'm not sure anyone else has experienced this but it seems like the postal workers at the post office in Shanook Bvd in Phnom Penh are working a scam on tourists.

I wanted to post three written postcards (yes, old-fashioned but it's what the oldies want) from Cambodia to the UK and New Zealand. The board behind the counter clearly states that postcard stamps to Europe and Oceania are 2800r and that America is 3000r.

When I requested three postcard stamps for Europe I was asked for 9000r and when I stated that it should be 7400r I was told that they had no smaller stamps in stock. I paid the 9000r and then I was asked for the postcards so that the clerk could stick them on. No chance! I said I'd do it and the clerk huffed and puffed and then handed over six enormous 1500r stamps which then covered half of the writing on the postcards. I posted them in the box outside and they made it to their destinations within two weeks.

I have no idea whether or not the clerk was going to stick 3000r stamps on the cards, or 2800r or just throw them in the bin and pocket the full 9000r (USD2.16). 600r is only 10 UK pence or 15 US cents but it could be a nice way for a low-paid postal worker to supplement their income!

Has anyone else experienced this in Cambodia or specifically in that post office in Phnom Penh?

#1 Posted: 1/2/2010 - 02:43

• Advertisement

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Paying "incentives" in Cambodia is very common. Another common problem is if you post a package to Cambodia, the person picking it up will need to pay an "incentive" in order to be able to collect the package.

#2 Posted: 1/2/2010 - 15:50

• andyridout

Joined Travelfish
    13th March, 2010

I wanted to post 5 postcards in Siem Reap. I was cheerfully greeted with cries of "stamps here" as I went into the post office and given what looked to me like a souvenir or collectors pack of stamps which cost 15000r. I was then given complicated instructions on how to combine the stamps to make 3000r on each postcard. I don't understand why I wasn't just simply given stamps of the correct value of 2800r like I was in other post offices in Cambodia. I guess there's something odd going on but I'd hardly call it the scam of the century. I arrived home long before any of the postcards which took between 3 weeks and a month.

#3 Posted: 13/3/2010 - 19:58

• misterwoods

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2009

I posted about 4/5 postcards from the airport in Cambodia last July, fully stamped etc... They never arrived. Can't say I was surprised tho :o)

#4 Posted: 26/4/2010 - 18:37

• cambotour

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2010

I had no trouble sending a gift package home from the Phomh Penh post office, it held about $50us worth of trinkets. With 30$ per kilo, some locals said to get it in by Friday for Australia and it was there by the following friday. I was truly astounded.
    Absoloutly no drama. Aussie customs opened, inspected and placed a sticker of approval on it.
    Thanks for that.

#5 Posted: 26/4/2010 - 23:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.