Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Buddhist/Meditation workshops?

• misscherie

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2010

Hi there,

I am heading to Cambodia/Thailand/Indonesia in September and I was wondering if anyone knew of any 1 day - 1 week workshops in meditation/classes which are in english? Preferably less touristy ones as would love to experience this there.

Thanks so much!

P.S. Apart from the typical Siem Reap/Angkor and Phnomh Penh, what would you recommend as beautiful places to explore in Cambodia? We are not so much into going there to party/drink/be with tourists and love beautiful landscapes/locals etc. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys! xx

#1 Posted: 4/2/2010 - 20:33

• Advertisement

• francesstel-
    la

Click here to learn more about francesstella
    Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2009
    Location Italy

Hi! Sorry to reply so late. I would definitely recommend Vipassana courses (http://www.dhamma.org/). Be warned: it's 10 days and very intense (!) but fully worth the rewards. I haven't taken this course in Thailand but people who have say it was a great experience.

Take care!
    FSH

#2 Posted: 18/2/2010 - 01:00

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Hi,

Most monasteries/meditation centers request that you stay at least a week, while some require 10 to 26 days. However you can certainly find some that will allow a 3 to 5 day stay (someone mentioned recently doing 3 days only at Wat Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai - see below). If you're looking for a day course, many temples do offer such a thing for foreigners once a week, but I can't remember specific places I saw that... There was a temple in Vientiane that I wandered into right near the Mekong where it was going on every Sunday - English speaking monks, specifically for foreigners, of course I can't remember which temple it was. I'm afraid that as far as I know there aren't many places in Cambodia specifically for foreigners to learn/practice meditation, although I'm sure casual instruction may be found there.

In Thailand, though, there's no shortage of places for foreigners to practice... I posted this in a similar thread about a month ago:

Hope this helps,

DL

#3 Posted: 18/2/2010 - 04:05

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand

Weird, for some reason the text I copied from the older thread didn't show up... Well, here it is:

#4 Posted: 18/2/2010 - 04:07

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand

Ok, here it's not.... And the thread seems to have disapeared.... Well, anyway, here are the places I wanted to mention:

Wat Sanghathan, Nonthaburi (Bangkok area) and its 3 branches in Bangkok area, Phitsanulok area, and Khao Yai National Park --- www.vimokkha.com

Wat Pah Nanachat, near Ubon Ratchathani --- www.watpahnanachat.org

International Buddhism Center at Wat Doi Sutthep, Chiang Mai --- www.fivethousandyears.org

Wat Ram Poeng, Chiang Mai --- www.paliknaon.com/vipassana/tapotaram/tapotaram.htm

Thailand Vipassana Center, near Phitsanulok --- www.dhamma.org

Wat Suan Mokkh, near Surat Thani --- www.suanmokkh.com

Wat Kow Tahm, Koh Phangan --- www.watkowtahm.org

General info --- www.buddhistravel.com

#5 Posted: 18/2/2010 - 04:29

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand

Ok, one last correction....

Wat Ram Poeng's website is www.palikanon.com/vipassana/tapotaram/tapotaram.htm

#6 Posted: 18/2/2010 - 04:36

• Voyagner

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2009

The Cambodians haven't really caught on to the spiritual travel thing. Buddhism in the country is still in a bit of shock and suffering from the KR days, so many of their leader monks were killed. Defrockings are common as there are plenty of badly behaving monks around.

#7 Posted: 30/9/2010 - 12:39

• glomer

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

Sorry for the hijack. Does anyone know if something like this exists in Luang Prabang?

#8 Posted: 30/9/2010 - 13:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Buddhist/Meditation workshops? ... By misscherie on 4 Feb 2010 1 1502 5 Feb 2010
Buddhist retreat/ meditation group in Vietnam ... By malthoff on 13 Sep 2008 3 15014 29 Jul 2011