Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Buddhist/Meditation workshops?

Posted by misscherie on 4/2/2010 at 20:33

Hi there,

I am heading to Cambodia/Thailand/Indonesia in September and I was wondering if anyone knew of any 1 day - 1 week workshops in meditation/classes which are in english? Preferably less touristy ones as would love to experience this there.

Thanks so much!

P.S. Apart from the typical Siem Reap/Angkor and Phnomh Penh, what would you recommend as beautiful places to explore in Cambodia? We are not so much into going there to party/drink/be with tourists and love beautiful landscapes/locals etc. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys! xx

#1 misscherie has been a member since 22/1/2010. Posts: 6

Posted by francesstella on 18/2/2010 at 01:00

Hi! Sorry to reply so late. I would definitely recommend Vipassana courses (http://www.dhamma.org/). Be warned: it's 10 days and very intense (!) but fully worth the rewards. I haven't taken this course in Thailand but people who have say it was a great experience.

Take care!
FSH

#2 francesstella has been a member since 16/2/2009. Location: Italy. Posts: 95

Posted by DLuek on 18/2/2010 at 04:05 TF writer

Hi,

Most monasteries/meditation centers request that you stay at least a week, while some require 10 to 26 days. However you can certainly find some that will allow a 3 to 5 day stay (someone mentioned recently doing 3 days only at Wat Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai - see below). If you're looking for a day course, many temples do offer such a thing for foreigners once a week, but I can't remember specific places I saw that... There was a temple in Vientiane that I wandered into right near the Mekong where it was going on every Sunday - English speaking monks, specifically for foreigners, of course I can't remember which temple it was. I'm afraid that as far as I know there aren't many places in Cambodia specifically for foreigners to learn/practice meditation, although I'm sure casual instruction may be found there.

In Thailand, though, there's no shortage of places for foreigners to practice... I posted this in a similar thread about a month ago:

Hope this helps,

DL

#3 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,152
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by DLuek on 18/2/2010 at 04:07 TF writer

Weird, for some reason the text I copied from the older thread didn't show up... Well, here it is:

#4 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,152
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by DLuek on 18/2/2010 at 04:29 TF writer

Ok, here it's not.... And the thread seems to have disapeared.... Well, anyway, here are the places I wanted to mention:

Wat Sanghathan, Nonthaburi (Bangkok area) and its 3 branches in Bangkok area, Phitsanulok area, and Khao Yai National Park --- www.vimokkha.com

Wat Pah Nanachat, near Ubon Ratchathani --- www.watpahnanachat.org

International Buddhism Center at Wat Doi Sutthep, Chiang Mai --- www.fivethousandyears.org

Wat Ram Poeng, Chiang Mai --- www.paliknaon.com/vipassana/tapotaram/tapotaram.htm

Thailand Vipassana Center, near Phitsanulok --- www.dhamma.org

Wat Suan Mokkh, near Surat Thani --- www.suanmokkh.com

Wat Kow Tahm, Koh Phangan --- www.watkowtahm.org

General info --- www.buddhistravel.com

#5 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,152
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by DLuek on 18/2/2010 at 04:36 TF writer

Ok, one last correction....

Wat Ram Poeng's website is www.palikanon.com/vipassana/tapotaram/tapotaram.htm

#6 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,152
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by Voyagner on 30/9/2010 at 12:39

The Cambodians haven't really caught on to the spiritual travel thing. Buddhism in the country is still in a bit of shock and suffering from the KR days, so many of their leader monks were killed. Defrockings are common as there are plenty of badly behaving monks around.

#7 Voyagner has been a member since 12/7/2009. Posts: 30
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by glomer on 30/9/2010 at 13:36

Sorry for the hijack. Does anyone know if something like this exists in Luang Prabang?

#8 glomer has been a member since 23/2/2010. Posts: 86

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.