Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

ko chang to phnom penh

• L_Graham

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2010

hi peeps i need to know how and how long to get to PP from ko chang, where do i get visa at border etc....is it easy gettin across the border?? whats the best way to get there and timescale price of it all??

hope for some replies

thanks
    Liam

#1 Posted: 10/2/2010 - 21:56

• Advertisement

• Bassfunk

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2009

Hi Liam

I did this in reverse a couple of weeks ago (PP to Koh Chang). It cost $20 USD.
    Our first bus broke down so in all it took us around 14hrs, I think it should have been around 10hrs. There plenty of agencies on Koh Chang offering through bus tickets. The border crossing is a breeze, although there are stories on here of the Cambodian border officials charging extra for 'overtime' etc.

Have a fun trip

Pete

#2 Posted: 11/2/2010 - 05:53

• L_Graham

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2010

cheers bassfunk! 10 hours ****! the 6 hours to ko chang from bangkok was bad enough ha!! ive just got here it doesnt seem too lively im stayin lonely beach where did u stay what did you rekon to it???

thanks
    Liam

#3 Posted: 11/2/2010 - 19:23

• Bassfunk

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2009

Actually I really liked the bus journey. The scenery is amazing and no bus journey in Cambodia is particularly boring! but 14 hrs did get a little tiresome.

We stopped on Chai Chet beach. It was very quiet, but we were on our honeymoon so that didn't particularly bother us. I like Koh Chang. People say it's over developed but compared to most holiday destinations in Europe it's positively quaint!

I'm sure lonely beach can get pretty lively. I spoke to a couple who stayed out until 3am there and had to walk back to Kai Bae because the taxis had stopped running.

Have fun

Pete

#4 Posted: 12/2/2010 - 02:04

• lisalisa

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2011

hi there - i am a girl travelling alone. i need to get from koh chang to otres beach, phnom pehn on 6 or 7 feb....by bus as its cheapest....can anyone help with details....which bus company to use?....how many times a day to they leave koh chang? what time of day? how long will it take? is it safe? would also consider shared taxi etc etc....thanks for your help

Lisa

#5 Posted: 29/1/2011 - 22:14

• oasisbarhat-
    ien

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2010
    Total reviews: 4

Posted from within Vietnam.

Re lisalisa Firstly Otres beach isn't in Phnom Penh,it's in Sihanoukville ,there are no beaches in Phnom Penh!Although you can take a Thai registered car into Cambodia,I doubt it's worth the time and expense to do so with a taxi.If there is an organised bus through from Koh Chang to Sihanoukville I'd take it,it will be a lot less hassle than trying to organise it independently.Or,go to Koh Kong in Cambodia,via the Had Lek border crossing South of Trat,and get a bus to Sihanoukville .One bus leaves at around 13.00,it cost about 8USD,and takes about 4 hours.The Cambodian officials here at the border are notorious for overcharging,the true cost of a visa is 20USD,but they want 1200THB (40USD) and are reluctant to drop their demands.If you insist on paying less,you may have to wait a while for the visa.Don't let the "helpers" fill out the paperwork for you,it's not necessary,and they will want money for doing it.Unfortunately,this border crossing is not a very welcoming place to first experience Cambodia

#6 Posted: 30/1/2011 - 11:03

• lisalisa

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2011

thanks so much for all your help....i got confused! i think Phnom pehn is the nearest place to fly to isn't it?! thanks again......you've been a great help!

#7 Posted: 30/1/2011 - 20:29

• ludobernade-
    th

Joined Travelfish
    15th March, 2012

hi Liam, normally it take around 9 hours ( from Phnom Penh to Koh Kong it take around 5 to 6 hours as it is the mountain zone so the bus could not go fast anyhow it is a very awesome view along the road to koh kong, i can guarantee you will feel like me ) and the rest of time you will continue your trip from Koh Kong Border to Koh Chang (actually the bus will stop at ferry pier ). For cross border from cambodia to thailand now it's been easier then before as there is no more conflict so it's good enough for traveler like us just get ready for your passport, thai visa and money into your account that's it :D. For the bus ticket I would recommend you to check with the travel agency that i have ever contact and u can find them at laroute-angkor.com
    i got the best price and services up there..

Cheer Liam

#8 Posted: 15/3/2012 - 08:20

• TonyL

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2006

Im surprised that you are finding Lonely Beach quiet. I have stayed there a few times and it has always been full of backpackers. Siam Huts seems to be very popular of an evening.
    To get to Sihanoukville i would suggest that you go into any of the small tourist agencies in Lonely Beach and book a mini bus to Hat Lek- the Cambodian border. Cost about $15 at the most. Pick ups from the hotels vary from about 7am to 10am. There is a ferry journey en route to the mainland that takes about 45 mins so you have a break from the bus. Time from mainland to Hat Lek is about 2 hours. !00 metres to Cambodia border. Join with somebody to share a tuk tuk or taxi to Koh Chang as there is a real rip off by the drivers who seem to all have a fixed price of $10 into Koh Chang from the Immigration post. Bargaining does not seem to work. My advice is to stay in Koh Kong overnight - I stayed at the Asian Hotel - about $12 for a cheap double but plenty of small guest housed about. Go to the main street and find the Verak Buntham bus office. Book a ticket to Sihanoukville for the next morning. They will pick you up at your hotel or guest house - depature about 8.00am. Trip to Sihanoukville is roughly 4 - 5 hours with a break of about 30 mins. en route. At the new bus terminal in Sihanoukville join with a couple of others and get a tuk tuk -about $ 4-5 with a bit of bargaining- to the Golden Lion monument . Numerous guest houses around there and on road down to Serendipity beach - all very easy walking distance. Enjoy your trip.

#9 Posted: 17/3/2012 - 20:43

• TonyL

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2006

Im surprised that you are finding Lonely Beach quiet. I have stayed there a few times and it has always been full of backpackers. Siam Huts seems to be very popular of an evening.
    To get to Sihanoukville i would suggest that you go into any of the small tourist agencies in Lonely Beach and book a mini bus to Hat Lek- the Cambodian border. Cost about $15 at the most. Pick ups from the hotels vary from about 7am to 10am. There is a ferry journey en route to the mainland that takes about 45 mins so you have a break from the bus. Time from mainland to Hat Lek is about 2 hours. !00 metres to Cambodia border. Join with somebody to share a tuk tuk or taxi to Koh Chang as there is a real rip off by the drivers who seem to all have a fixed price of $10 into Koh Chang from the Immigration post. Bargaining does not seem to work. My advice is to stay in Koh Kong overnight - I stayed at the Asian Hotel - about $12 for a cheap double but plenty of small guest housed about. Go to the main street and find the Verak Buntham bus office. Book a ticket to Sihanoukville for the next morning. They will pick you up at your hotel or guest house - depature about 8.00am. Trip to Sihanoukville is roughly 4 - 5 hours with a break of about 30 mins. en route. At the new bus terminal in Sihanoukville join with a couple of others and get a tuk tuk -about $ 4-5 with a bit of bargaining- to the Golden Lion monument . Numerous guest houses around there and on road down to Serendipity beach - all very easy walking distance. Enjoy your trip.

#10 Posted: 17/3/2012 - 20:44

• Advertisement

• TonyL

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2006

#11 Posted: 17/3/2012 - 20:44

• TonyL

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2006

Sorry about that - I seem to have hit the "blast off" button 3 times!!

#12 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 20:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Phnom Penh to Ko Chang ... By samh90 on 13 May 2010 2 4806 16 Sep 2010
Phnom penh to koh chang in 1 day? ... By Bassfunk on 17 Jan 2010 3 9786 26 Feb 2012
Phnom Penh to Koh Chang? Tours? ... By meceo on 12 Oct 2009 1 3694 12 Oct 2009
Travel from Phnom Penh To Ko Chang ... By ororzzz on 24 Mar 2006 1 2491 25 Mar 2006
Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Phnom Penh ... By CaptainJack on 1 Mar 2014 1 419 2 Mar 2014