Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Fastest overland way from PP to Bangkok

• dawemmy

Joined Travelfish
    12th January, 2010

Hi!
    I am helping someone with a visa run need to be back in bangkok very quickly but cheaply. Is it faster to go back through Poi Pet via Siem Reap or is it shorter and faster (perhaps nice scenery too) to go through Pailin and on Chantaburi?

Bus services? Length of trip?
    Thanks
    Dawemmy

#1 Posted: 19/2/2010 - 17:22

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

The bus from PP to Poipet doesn't go through SR, is this important? It goes through Battambang and on to the border taking about 7 to 8 hours.At the border you get a tuk-tuk to the bus station.buses to Bkk run every hour and take around 4+ hours so this way you are looking at about 13 hours on the road.You may be able to cut this down by getting a through ticket from PP to BKK this will shave half hour or so off the journey time if you are lucky and the minibus is waiting-it usually doesn't get going straight off though.Going via Pailin is indeed scenic but more complicated and longer.Say 6+ hours to Battambang, moto to the taxi stand, either pay for a whole taxi or wait for it to fill, then a couple of hours to Pailin.At Pailin negotiate a moto to the border, half hour to get there.Cross,another moto to the main road then minibus to Chantaburi,another moto to the bus station and perhaps 4+ hours to BKK.Got to be about 14 hours in total.
    My advise would be get the bus to Poipet and find your own tour bus to BKK as it is more comfortable than the minibus and both journeys take about the same time,i.e. 13 hours+

#2 Posted: 16/9/2010 - 21:57

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

And my advice would be to break up this trip. 13 hours in a bus is going to suck a lot. Stop somewhere for the night after the first leg to the Thai border. Enjoy a meal, a beer and a good night sleep.

#3 Posted: 19/9/2010 - 13:34

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Looking at this again I presume the visa run is BKK-PP-BKK not PP-BKK-PP as you can renew your Cambodian visa at the border.
    Madmac
    He's probably working so needs to get back fast.Saying that I've done this trip a couple of times and it certainly sucks.The bus from PP-Poipet is old and ricketty and is pretty exhausting.You can get a quick break at the border.Best do that on the Thai side where you can buy a drink and food that doesn't send you running to the toilet.The reason I recommend the tour bus over the minibus is for comfort as by that time you feel knackered and it is a relief to board a civilised modern Thai bus not an overcrowded minibus driven by a surly KhaoSan Rd driver.

#4 Posted: 19/9/2010 - 15:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
fastest and/or cheapest way to Phenom Phen from Bangkok ... By pbzvariety on 14 Feb 2013 5 1473 22 Feb 2013