Location United States

Anyone travelled from Battambang to Chanthaburi via the Ban Pakard
    crossing. Thanks

#1 Posted: 2/3/2010 - 09:30

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Yes, a very nice route, beautiful country.Get a taxi from BB to Pailin then a motodop to the border.At the border you can get a motorbike to take you to the main road and then songthaew to Chantaburi.
    Three points
    Pailin isn't much of a town I wouldn't bother to hang around but the ride to the border takes you IMO through some of the most beautiful country in Cambodia.
    The moto taking you to the border will leave the road at some point, don't get paranoid it's supposed to be a short cut.
    The Thai immigration asked me for proof of onward travel, I had a airline ticket but apparently if you don't have one they will scam you for a few baht.
    I'm in Phnom Penh at the moment and have to return to Thailand. I think I just convinced myself to take the Pailin route again!!!

#2 Posted: 4/3/2010 - 12:15

• salford6

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2010
    Location United States

Thanks Sayadian I will post a report after I pass through Pialin in late March

#3 Posted: 5/3/2010 - 08:35

• changnoi1

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2010
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 148

Well I just came back from Battambang via Pailin and Ban Prakard. I must say that I was a bit disappointed by the natrual landscape of Pailin (although I was warned by a guide that Pailin was not like it was 10 years ago).

All roads are very good at the moment. Be aware that the Thai immigrations has made up a new scam in asking for a copy of your pasport and a photo (which you can make there for 100thb).

#4 Posted: 27/9/2010 - 18:19

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Hi, Changnoi1
    You said the roads are very good-have they now paved the road from Bb to Pailin or did you just mean the rain hasn't damaged it?
    Thanks for the info on the photocopy of passport.When I went through the scam was if you couldn't show an onward flight out of thailand you had to buy a bus ticket for a non-existent bus which supposedly ran to the border!
    sorry you didn't like the landscape,I thought near the border it was very nice.
    cheers

#5 Posted: 27/9/2010 - 21:03

• Okidokie

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010

The roads are paved all the way through. Very easy ride (in a scary Cambodian taxi kind of way) with nice scenery. My family and I took a taxi from Battambang to the border and then haggled for another taxi after crossing the border for the rest of the ride to Chanthanburi.

It was pretty starightforward.

#6 Posted: 16/11/2010 - 19:19

• Okidokie

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010

I forgot to say that you will have to walk about a hundred yards at the border when you switch taxis. Make sure you have all you information available. Also, our taxi driver actually stopped along the way to deliver a package. It was interesting because we didn't know what was up, but he was just killing two birds (and probably earning two fares)

#7 Posted: 17/11/2010 - 14:56

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Any updates on this crossing?

#8 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 19:06

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

Bump [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img] - going the opposite direction

#9 Posted: 10/2/2013 - 10:00

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

"Mini bus to border for about 100 baht (1-2 hours). Cross border. Motodup to Pailin . Taxi from Pailin to Battambang (shared taxi for 200baht, private for $25-$30.) 3 or 4 hours but road conditions change with the season."

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2145130

#10 Posted: 10/2/2013 - 20:56

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.