Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Khmer New Year - Phnom Penh

• RachelW

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2009

So I am going to be spending Khmer New Year (April 13-15) in PP. Probably travelling from Battambang at the start.

Anybody got any ideas about how to celebrate it with the locals?
    I will probably be doing the usual sights (royal palace and wildlife tour etc) but would like to go wherever the celebrations are good aswell.

Also is it wrong to come prepared with talcum powder to take revenge on any locals that might soak me or douse me in it?

#1 Posted: 11/3/2010 - 03:53

• Advertisement

• candyman

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2009

The city will be pretty dead--like you wouldn't believe how some neighborhoods completely shut down as everyone goes to where they are from for the festival.

Wat Phnom is usually fun for an afternoon and is one of the few crowded places. If you know any locals ask them--if they are staying in Phnom Penh for the celebration they will be more than happy to invite you to a party or two.

Battambang will probably be better than Phnom Penh to celebrate.

And I'd bring a water gun--only because it's more fun to spray people then hit them in the face with powder.

#2 Posted: 11/3/2010 - 04:29

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I agree with candyman.

Lots of khmer go back to their homeland and it may be more enjoyable to celebrate it in the countryside although I wouldn't say that Phnom Penh will be dead.

Khmer new year is all about throwing water at each other. Some people might not understand why you would throw talcum powder at them (wouldn't give you a problem though). Either arm yourself with a watergun or fill some balloons with water to throw back

#3 Posted: 11/3/2010 - 19:53

• RachelW

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2009

Thanks guys.

I could have sworn I read something about PP being a good place to spend it as most of the smaller places on the south coast will be quiet as the bar girls etc go home!.

I am also planning to go to Kratie on the Sat after (17th) so hopefully there will be some people there...

#4 Posted: 11/3/2010 - 20:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Khmer New Year ... By Stigron on 15 Feb 2009 3 2203 2 Apr 2009
Travel during Khmer New Year ... By CalMorris28 on 7 Mar 2013 2 2186 10 Mar 2013
emergency money during Khmer new year bank closures ... By sayadian on 14 Apr 2012 2 2077 14 Apr 2012
Learning Khmer in Phnom Pehn ... By ecilassim on 21 Feb 2011 2 3443 27 Jun 2011
Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Phnom Penh ... By CaptainJack on 1 Mar 2014 1 986 2 Mar 2014