Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Khmer New Year - Phnom Penh

Posted by RachelW on 11/3/2010 at 03:53

So I am going to be spending Khmer New Year (April 13-15) in PP. Probably travelling from Battambang at the start.

Anybody got any ideas about how to celebrate it with the locals?
I will probably be doing the usual sights (royal palace and wildlife tour etc) but would like to go wherever the celebrations are good aswell.

Also is it wrong to come prepared with talcum powder to take revenge on any locals that might soak me or douse me in it?

#1 RachelW has been a member since 17/11/2009. Posts: 13

Posted by candyman on 11/3/2010 at 04:29

The city will be pretty dead--like you wouldn't believe how some neighborhoods completely shut down as everyone goes to where they are from for the festival.

Wat Phnom is usually fun for an afternoon and is one of the few crowded places. If you know any locals ask them--if they are staying in Phnom Penh for the celebration they will be more than happy to invite you to a party or two.

Battambang will probably be better than Phnom Penh to celebrate.

And I'd bring a water gun--only because it's more fun to spray people then hit them in the face with powder.

#2 candyman has been a member since 20/10/2009. Posts: 20

Posted by eastwest on 11/3/2010 at 19:53

I agree with candyman.

Lots of khmer go back to their homeland and it may be more enjoyable to celebrate it in the countryside although I wouldn't say that Phnom Penh will be dead.

Khmer new year is all about throwing water at each other. Some people might not understand why you would throw talcum powder at them (wouldn't give you a problem though). Either arm yourself with a watergun or fill some balloons with water to throw back

#3 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778

Posted by RachelW on 11/3/2010 at 20:35

Thanks guys.

I could have sworn I read something about PP being a good place to spend it as most of the smaller places on the south coast will be quiet as the bar girls etc go home!.

I am also planning to go to Kratie on the Sat after (17th) so hopefully there will be some people there...

#4 RachelW has been a member since 17/11/2009. Posts: 13

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.