Flag of Cambodia additions

Cambodia additions forum

cambodian e-visa

• zootloop

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2010

We are leaving for Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam in 3 weeks and are planning on crossing the border into Cambodia at Aranyaprather/Poipet, would you reccomend the e-visa or just obtain the visa at the border?
    We are a family of 4 so if there is a money scam it will add up very quickly for us being that there is 4 so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#1 Posted: 18/11/2010 - 03:00

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I last went through Poipet in March so maybe someone else has more up to date info but the scam was not to bad.Firstly have your photos (1each) and a pen handy then ignore all the touts.There is a dedicated office to obtain your visa-the guys are in uniform ignore the rest who'll tell you to change money, they can help you with forms etc.Totally ignore them.Sit at the table fill out the form hand in your photo.At this point the officer smiled and asked for 100 baht from me.I've been there many times and he knew that from my passport so I just smiled and shrugged and turned my attention elsewhere( this is the Khmer way so nobody loses face) minutes went by and my passport with visa was left on the table.Cost me a straight $20.E-visa is great but cost an extra $5.Not much and will mean you don't have to stop to get the visa-sometimes there are lines waiting,sometimes nobody.

#2 Posted: 18/11/2010 - 17:11

• zootloop

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2010

Thanks for the info. I think we will attempt to get the visa at the border then. I hope all goes well.

#3 Posted: 18/11/2010 - 21:10

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

BTW
    Poipet is about the worst introduction to Cambodia you could get.It's an ugly place which just doesn't make you feel at ease.Once you are out of it you'll love Cambodia and the people.I suppose a lot of border towns are like this.
    good luck and enjoy your trip

#4 Posted: 18/11/2010 - 22:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.