Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia additions forum

cambodian e-visa

Posted by zootloop on 18/11/2010 at 03:00

We are leaving for Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam in 3 weeks and are planning on crossing the border into Cambodia at Aranyaprather/Poipet, would you reccomend the e-visa or just obtain the visa at the border?
We are a family of 4 so if there is a money scam it will add up very quickly for us being that there is 4 so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#1 zootloop has been a member since 18/11/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by sayadian on 18/11/2010 at 17:11

I last went through Poipet in March so maybe someone else has more up to date info but the scam was not to bad.Firstly have your photos (1each) and a pen handy then ignore all the touts.There is a dedicated office to obtain your visa-the guys are in uniform ignore the rest who'll tell you to change money, they can help you with forms etc.Totally ignore them.Sit at the table fill out the form hand in your photo.At this point the officer smiled and asked for 100 baht from me.I've been there many times and he knew that from my passport so I just smiled and shrugged and turned my attention elsewhere( this is the Khmer way so nobody loses face) minutes went by and my passport with visa was left on the table.Cost me a straight $20.E-visa is great but cost an extra $5.Not much and will mean you don't have to stop to get the visa-sometimes there are lines waiting,sometimes nobody.

#2 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by zootloop on 18/11/2010 at 21:10

Thanks for the info. I think we will attempt to get the visa at the border then. I hope all goes well.

#3 zootloop has been a member since 18/11/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by sayadian on 18/11/2010 at 22:02

BTW
Poipet is about the worst introduction to Cambodia you could get.It's an ugly place which just doesn't make you feel at ease.Once you are out of it you'll love Cambodia and the people.I suppose a lot of border towns are like this.
good luck and enjoy your trip

#4 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.