Flag of Cambodia additions

Cambodia additions forum

Excellent restaurant Sihanoukville

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Just wanted to recommend a great place to eat on the beach in Sihanoukville.Been here a few days now (We often come here) and as many of the Ocheteal beach restaurants are far from clean I was pleasantly surprised to find one which not only has the freshest food but also two super clean toilets which actually have soap and running water.
    The place has the unfortunate name 'In My Dreams' but I can't fault it for anything else.Very friendly staff too.
    To find it walk down from 'Golden Lions' (it's an unmissable and gigantic gold sculpture on a roundabout near the beach) on the road which parallels the beach.Don't take the concrete road on the right but head down the hill about 200 metres until you come to a busy dirt road on the right.At the end of the road is the beach and 'In My Dreams' is the first beachside restaurant on the left.

#1 Posted: 5/2/2012 - 01:47

• Advertisement

• josssticks

Joined Travelfish
    6th February, 2012

Sorry, but this has to be one of the worst reviews I've ever read. I know more about the bathroom than I do the restaurant. What did you order, how much did it cost? What was the ambiance like? More details please. Write less about the soap and more about the soup.

#2 Posted: 6/2/2012 - 19:25

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

For a start jossticks, I don't work for an editor so I don't really want your editorial advice.I happen to believe that in a country like Cambodia with a huge hygiene problem the fact that the lady goes to the trouble of cleaning het toilet and providing a good quality soap speaks volumes.As does the opposite-uncovered,fly-blown food.As far as ambience goes, if you come to Sihanoukville you'll see that most of the beachside restaurants are much the same.Same seating,same music,same food and prices.The above review wasn't provided for your entertainment,it was provided for those who value their health and hygiene.

#3 Posted: 6/2/2012 - 20:30

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

troll ?

Thanks sayadian, I have been scrolling the forums looking at ideas.. It will be my first time in Cambodia so I am looking forward to it!!! counting the days

#4 Posted: 7/2/2012 - 00:38

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

PFirst lesson to learn is this country is not as developed as Thailand.An important element of this is basic hygiene is not as thorough.street food in Thailand is usually nutritious and safe because the Thais have a much higher standard of hygiene.I think the message is slowly arriving here and offering the benefit of my experience I. Hope will make for a more enjoyable visit.
    Another excellent place here in Sihanoukville is a place for breakfast. Just up from Golden Lions on the right is a filling station.next door the Vietnamese guy does good coffee for 1500 real but next to him is one of my favourite places for pork and rice in the morning.She starts early and runs out fast because she's very popular at one dollar a pplate.Food is always covered and she wears clean clothes every morning.I always imagine the people who ignore and ridicule good advice like this are the unwashhed crowd I see on the beach constantly scratching their uncombed bird's nest haircuts since it's obviousthey do not value hygiene

#5 Posted: 7/2/2012 - 02:27

• ubuyteeshirt

Joined Travelfish
    7th February, 2012

Hey, that's really helpful. If I need a really clean restroom I'll be sure to go there and tell them you sent me. You don't write for an editor; that's true, you write for readers and no one can tell if indeed you really ate there. Pathetic.

#6 Posted: 7/2/2012 - 19:21

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Have moved this to the Cambodia additions section - thanks for the report Sayadian :)

#7 Posted: 7/2/2012 - 19:56

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Why are you such an angry bunch? Does hygiene really bother you? Perhaps you'd like to clarify your problem.Two good recommendations-where's the problem.Let someone else tell you the music scene, my reviews are about good food.
    As far as the lady near the 'Golden Lions' I have been eating there on and off for 8 years and her food is always freshly prepared.She's a lovely lady and for 3000-4000 Real offers a great breakfast with coffee brought from next door for 1500 Real. In all that time I've never had a problem with her food.Best you eat in the 'new' stalls by the Golden Lions' afterwards go and see what's around the back.Might be an eye-opener.

#8 Posted: 8/2/2012 - 06:36

• ubuyteeshirt

Joined Travelfish
    7th February, 2012

I don't know which is more disappointing this unreview of a restaurant in which neither ambiance, price, nor description of meals eaten or Samtam's approval of this so far poorly described place. All that is clear is that Sayadian thinks that the average reader is incapable of judging the hygienic standards of a place for themselves. He is pompous and obviously in the latter stages of a phobia akin to that of Howard Hughs. Then he recommends a ubiquitous bai sac chhruk (rice with pork) hangbai because the lady covers it with cheesecloth-a common practice in Cambodia. Then of course for those of us who ridicule his boring advice we are lumped in the untouchables on the baeach. If this is the best advice this travel forum has to offer, it's back to Lonely Planet.

#9 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 01:38

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Nothing to offer but a whole load of insulting vitriol.
    4 posts, so I'm assuming your a troll intent on winding me up. Have you got nothing positive to say or is this the sum total of your opinion? It's a sad day when a damn fine site becomes a voice for someone's bitterness. Perhaps you'd like to contribute something positive regarding places you have been and recommend.
    I would be very sad to see this excellent site degenerate into the sort of insulting bile you find on other sites.Re-read your post, it offers nothing.It's just a personal attack by someone hiding behind an IP address.
    As has been said on numerous ocasions if you don't like a post you have an easy choice
    -ignore it and move on or offer your own opinion without stooping to the sort of name calling you'd hear in a children's playground.
    I sincerely hope this is the end of this sort of thing.Personal attacks such as above offer nothing but an invite to more of this kind of thing.I think I'll respectfully decline your invite.

#10 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 03:24

• Advertisement

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

@sayadian - thanks for the tip! I'll be heading back there on my way home this trip. I don't understand why such venom is being tossed your way because of a restaurant review. Ignore it! There has been an increase of that crap lately here, hopefully it doesn't last.

#11 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 04:18

• ubuyteeshirt

Joined Travelfish
    7th February, 2012

Bitterness? There's no bitterness, just intolerance for unmitigated incompetence. A positive review that is uninformative is a waste of the reader's time.

And you of course never resort to insult?

" .I always imagine the people who ignore and ridicule good advice like this are the unwashhed crowd I see on the beach constantly scratching their uncombed bird's nest haircuts since it's obviousthey do not value hygiene"

Until you open your eyes to yourself you will never be able to write accurately.

If such content devoid posts are of value to this site then it has degenerated already. You are a hypocrite and a fraud.

#12 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 20:10

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Yawn!!!!!

#13 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 20:29

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi ubeyteeshirt -- just closed your account -- that should make it a bit easier to move back to Lonely Planet as you appear to think that would be the better move.

Cheers

#14 Posted: 10/3/2012 - 20:31

• phuphum

Joined Travelfish
    22nd October, 2011

Close my account too It isn't just because I've had run-ins with this uninformed
    person before,but the minute a contributor is thrown off by the moderator for having pointed out Sayadian's hypocrisy as well as his incompetence, it's time to go elsewhere. Shame on you for your cowardice; unlike your incompetent contributor you know the difference in quality. You cater to the uninformed who seek no hard information and this will reflect in your decreasing advertisement revenues. This forum is doomed by its lack of astute leadership.

#15 Posted: 14/3/2012 - 07:53

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Phuphum
    He doesn't need to close your account. Just don't come back. Sayadian has a lot of good info. If someone didn't think this post was very useful, the way to get at that is to ask a question like "How was the food" etc.? Instead, ubuy buckwheat chose to attack the poster, instead of asking for more info. Apparently you missed that, but the mod did not.

#16 Posted: 14/3/2012 - 13:19

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I''d be very happy to fill the holes in the original post if it is of any use to travellers out there.Ocheateal beach has a long line of restaurant bars with a bricked path in front which divides the restaurants from the beach.The buildings are wooden and usually contain a small bar with spoon-shaped seats made of rattan, lined with a big comfortable cushion. Outside, there's more of the same kind of seating with sun umbrellas to give shade though there are usually also long recliners for those who want to top up their tan.The beer is 75 cents but this goes down to 50 cents at 5p.m. until midnight (happy hour) You can get a 'bucket' for 5 dollars. For the uninitiated these hangover specials consist of an unspecified amount of vodka or cheap whiskey mixed with coke or sprite in a jug with straws so you can all suck away.The food there is nothing special with the exception of the nightly barbeques which start at 5p.m. I tried the burger at lunchtime ($3.50) and wasn't very impressed.I'm sure any American would laugh at the size of the offering as it's just about a mouthful of meat with a bit of limp lettuce and tomato.You also get a half dozen fries with it. I was also suitably unimpressed with the curry which doesn't contain much meat or vegetables just a lot of coconut water.But al lthis changes at 5p.m. when the barbeque starts. For $3 you get a choice of fresh tuna, swordfish, red snapper, prawns served with a kind of Russian salad and baked potato or fries and garlic bread.The helpings are generous (certainly for $3 and I've seen the seafood arrive packed in ice and straight into a glass-covered box.So you can examine the food to make your decision.It's cooked on charcoal and served fresh from cooking.The staff are very pleasant, all speak English (which is the norm for restaurants near the beach there) Yes,they can be a little slow at times, forget your order but what the hell, it's Cambodia. Just sitting 3 or 4 metres from the waves makes it worth it.

There are the usual crowd of beggars, hawkers.You have to use your own common-sense there. I get a feel after all this time. Some are clearly desperate but others look like pros. I NEVER ever give to women dragging babies around inthe midday sun.This was drummed into me many years ago by a very astute Khmer lady. She told me there is always someone to look after the baby whilst the woman is out and the child is used merely as a prop.There is some sense in this as I've noticed the disgraceful way the women carry the child-most uncaring. Don't let seemingly innocent looking children crowd your table, it's a common distraction technique for theft.
    I suppose to digress slightly, my whole attitude on beggars has changed in Cambodia.The land I arrived in was populated with beat up old Camry's. Now I'm surrounded by cutomised Hummers and Lexus.Where's this money coming from ?My taxes probably. Anyway it kind of irritates me when beggars by-pass all these rich Khmer drinking heineken and home in on me with my beat up old motorbike.Sorry, but the days of the White man's largesse are at an end.Go see the guy with the diamond and gold ring leaning against his gold plated hummer.If these people have been robbed by their own people then go sort it out amongst yourselves.
    Anyway back to the review.The above describes the restaurant 'In My Dreams', tacky title but nice restaurant.
    soap (the contentious issue)
    My mother always taught me to wash my hands before eating and if there isn't soap provided I imagine the cook also never washes his hands .So, yes it's an important point for me.Cambodian hygiene is in the dark ages compared to its neighbours and needs some much needed education. Anyway I hope everyone has a diarhoea free time. Those who think it unfashionable to wash please ignore the last part.

#17 Posted: 14/3/2012 - 23:06

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

What an odd thread.

#18 Posted: 15/3/2012 - 00:51

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Somtam
    I was told the original review didn't give enough information so I thought this description might satisfy those who were unhappy.
    Why do say it's odd? :-)

#19 Posted: 15/3/2012 - 01:06

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I think Somtam is referring to the entire discussion, not just your last post.

Personally, I preferred the first post. Sayadian has been around here for long enough providing useful info to others and giving his insight into life in Cambodia. He's a regular, established poster. Given that, along with what he posted, would be enough to tempt me to go check it out if I were in the neighborhood. Alas I'm not!

The level of info he provided is consistent with restaurant and accom reviews on this site and in other guidebooks. He's not a paid restaurant reviewer or critic - he's someone who gives up his time on this forum to give info to others.

#20 Posted: 15/3/2012 - 02:10

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

yeah sorry, meant the entire thread. Some definite trolling and duplicate accounts going on -- all from a certain locale.

Yawn.

#21 Posted: 15/3/2012 - 05:56

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

No worries Stuart. There's always a couple of trolls in the crowd. You're doing a good job here.

#22 Posted: 15/3/2012 - 11:20

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

You'd think people would find better things to do with their time! :-/ (Referring to the trolls, of course!)

#23 Posted: 15/3/2012 - 14:25

• Vickyjin

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2012

I'll be there in August. I hope that, I'll have time with the beach.

#24 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 14:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Excellent New Restaurant in Koh Kong ... By moscowjohnny on 23 Apr 2012 1 1218 23 Apr 2012