Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia additions forum

The Secret Garden at Otres Beach

Posted by secretgarden on 10/4/2012 at 21:08

Located at the secluded end of Otres Beach, we have 10 smart, comfortable bungalows with fan or A/C, free WiFi, private jungle showers/bathtubs. We also feature Otres Beach’s only swimming pool. Our menu of fine Asian and Western cuisine has been created by our own professional Australian chef. Cocktails and draft beer are available both at our beachside and poolside bars with happy hour specials every night. Relaxing Cambodian massage is available upon request.
We look forward to welcoming you to the Secret Garden!

#1 secretgarden has been a member since 10/4/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by sayadian on 11/4/2012 at 05:33

Sad to see Otres going up market.It used to be so secluded and a gem of a beach.Don't suppose it will be long before the big hotels move in though they going to have to finish that road from town first.At the rate they've been going it'll take them another 5 years!
Just hope it doesn't end up like Ocheteal, filthy trash left to fester at the back of the restaurants and floating in the water through the wash of rubbish taken out by the tide.Still they're building more and more hotels there, but who'd want to swim in that pollution?

#2 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by secretgarden on 13/4/2012 at 22:04

Hi Sayadian,

I understand your concerns about Otres Beach changing. We built the Secret Garden in response to a gap in the market here for non-budget travel here on Otres. We aim to be exclusive without being snobby, and stylish without being cold. At present we are the only place of its kind on the beach, and we also hope it stays that way for a while!

We are also environmentally conscious, and do our best to make not only our own beach, but also surrounding beaches, cleaner than they've been in years. The beach here is beautiful, and we want to make sure it stays that way.

Dora

#3 secretgarden has been a member since 10/4/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by eastwest on 13/4/2012 at 22:27

Well done. I think it's actually good if more up market places would start businesses. Exactly for the reasons you name above. Only up market places have the interest and money to keep beaches clean. Sayadian's logic is a little flawed because it's for that reason why Ocheuteal is dirty. His hopes that Cambodians will clean their beach for the $0.50 per beer drinkers seems admirable but unrealistic.

Whether it's good for other reasons remains to be seen but for cleanliness of beaches it is the right way to go.

Good luck with the place!

#4 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778

Posted by sayadian on 14/4/2012 at 01:32

Firstly, it's reassuring that The Secret Garden is environmentally conscious.

EastWest
You are right Occheteal is filthy with mountains of garbage left rotting at the back of restaurants and a sea awash with the detritus from the visitors
You say:
.'His hopes that Cambodians will clean their beach for the $0.50 per beer drinkers seems admirable but unrealistic.'

Are you saying that Cambodians aren't capable of taking their trash home or leaving it in a bin? Unfortunately that IS the case.
Most Westerners have had some education in keeping the environment clean whereas the Khmer just dump their plastics and beer cans on the beach when they leave.There is some sort of environmental cleaning done by the army of kids collecting the plastics and cans to weigh in and recycle.

My main point of concern is that (as I pointed out in my OP) the big hotel chains will soon move in and privatise more of the beaches.That's the reason I'm sad about what is happening in Otres. It's already happened to Sokha and Independence beaches.

#5 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by eastwest on 14/4/2012 at 01:49

You're mixing things up.
I said cleaning as in keeping their patch of beach clean which means picking up trash of others.

Never did I mention that they aren't capable of taking their trash home. You're right about the education part but I wasn't referring to that.

Up market places will clean their beaches.

#6 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778

Posted by Coconuts on 26/4/2012 at 12:24

We had a fantastic time at the Secret Garden. We were a group of 7, 3 adults, 2 granparents and 2 children. The place is great for a family holiday, very confortable, the perfect place to relax and enjoy.

Thanks Melisa, Dora, Kris and Ken for your hospitality.

#7 Coconuts has been a member since 26/4/2012. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.