Flag of Cambodia additions

Cambodia additions forum

The Secret Garden at Otres Beach

• secretgarden

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2012

Located at the secluded end of Otres Beach, we have 10 smart, comfortable bungalows with fan or A/C, free WiFi, private jungle showers/bathtubs. We also feature Otres Beach’s only swimming pool. Our menu of fine Asian and Western cuisine has been created by our own professional Australian chef. Cocktails and draft beer are available both at our beachside and poolside bars with happy hour specials every night. Relaxing Cambodian massage is available upon request.
    We look forward to welcoming you to the Secret Garden!

#1 Posted: 10/4/2012 - 21:08

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Sad to see Otres going up market.It used to be so secluded and a gem of a beach.Don't suppose it will be long before the big hotels move in though they going to have to finish that road from town first.At the rate they've been going it'll take them another 5 years!
    Just hope it doesn't end up like Ocheteal, filthy trash left to fester at the back of the restaurants and floating in the water through the wash of rubbish taken out by the tide.Still they're building more and more hotels there, but who'd want to swim in that pollution?

#2 Posted: 11/4/2012 - 05:33

• secretgarden

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2012

Hi Sayadian,

I understand your concerns about Otres Beach changing. We built the Secret Garden in response to a gap in the market here for non-budget travel here on Otres. We aim to be exclusive without being snobby, and stylish without being cold. At present we are the only place of its kind on the beach, and we also hope it stays that way for a while!

We are also environmentally conscious, and do our best to make not only our own beach, but also surrounding beaches, cleaner than they've been in years. The beach here is beautiful, and we want to make sure it stays that way.

Dora

#3 Posted: 13/4/2012 - 22:04

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Well done. I think it's actually good if more up market places would start businesses. Exactly for the reasons you name above. Only up market places have the interest and money to keep beaches clean. Sayadian's logic is a little flawed because it's for that reason why Ocheuteal is dirty. His hopes that Cambodians will clean their beach for the $0.50 per beer drinkers seems admirable but unrealistic.

Whether it's good for other reasons remains to be seen but for cleanliness of beaches it is the right way to go.

Good luck with the place!

#4 Posted: 13/4/2012 - 22:27

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Firstly, it's reassuring that The Secret Garden is environmentally conscious.

EastWest
    You are right Occheteal is filthy with mountains of garbage left rotting at the back of restaurants and a sea awash with the detritus from the visitors
    You say:
    .'His hopes that Cambodians will clean their beach for the $0.50 per beer drinkers seems admirable but unrealistic.'

Are you saying that Cambodians aren't capable of taking their trash home or leaving it in a bin? Unfortunately that IS the case.
    Most Westerners have had some education in keeping the environment clean whereas the Khmer just dump their plastics and beer cans on the beach when they leave.There is some sort of environmental cleaning done by the army of kids collecting the plastics and cans to weigh in and recycle.

My main point of concern is that (as I pointed out in my OP) the big hotel chains will soon move in and privatise more of the beaches.That's the reason I'm sad about what is happening in Otres. It's already happened to Sokha and Independence beaches.

#5 Posted: 14/4/2012 - 01:32

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

You're mixing things up.
    I said cleaning as in keeping their patch of beach clean which means picking up trash of others.

Never did I mention that they aren't capable of taking their trash home. You're right about the education part but I wasn't referring to that.

Up market places will clean their beaches.

#6 Posted: 14/4/2012 - 01:49

• Coconuts

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2012

We had a fantastic time at the Secret Garden. We were a group of 7, 3 adults, 2 granparents and 2 children. The place is great for a family holiday, very confortable, the perfect place to relax and enjoy.

Thanks Melisa, Dora, Kris and Ken for your hospitality.

#7 Posted: 26/4/2012 - 12:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Dokmai Garden - Secret Garden Getaway in Chiang Mai ... By MissBonavita on 13 Dec 2009 0 3017 13 Dec 2009
secret garden ... By hamster on 27 Sep 2006 2 1955 27 Sep 2006
Otres beach Sihanoukville ... By ebroguy on 15 Jan 2010 13 6073 16 Sep 2010
ying yang bar otres beach ... By meany on 27 Nov 2008 3 3322 4 Jan 2011
Mushroom Point - new accomodation on Otres beach, Sihanoukville ... By romankrizanic on 25 Feb 2011 0 3483 25 Feb 2011
Cambodia trip and Otres Beach hostel/hotel ... By pdropl on 7 Oct 2013 2 819 9 Oct 2013
Chaweng Garden Beach Resort ... By Neilk61 on 28 Sep 2011 0 809 28 Sep 2011