Flag of Cambodia additions

Cambodia additions forum

Cambodian Public Holidays in October - will everything be closed?

• Sakavanagh

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2012

Hi

I have almost finally nailed down my 2 week trip in Cambodia but now I realise that my 5 days in Phnom Penh will include a Sunday and 2 public holidays (29th and 31st October). I had planned to get my Vietnam visa in Phnom Penh and also book the bus onward to HCMC. Plus I obviously wanted to see various sites. Is this going to be possible or will I spend the first 2 days (Sunday and the 29th) kicking my heels if museums ect are closed not to mention govenrment offices and tour operators.

Any thought (hopefully knowledgeable) gratefully received.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 24/8/2012 - 14:29

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

The only public holiday to interfere with everyday life will be Pchum Ben but that is from 12th to 14 October and you'll miss that. Pity because it really is worth going to the Pagoda to watch people bringing food for the monks in their best clothes. After the monks eat everybody can get stuck in to the wonderful homemade cooking.
    The other two holidays that are relevant to you are to do with the King. Unlike Thailand the Cambodian king isn't as revered and the only inconvenience will be government departments, all foreign Embassies and maybe banks (I'm not sure as I use ATM which are plentiful) will be closed. Restaurants, buses everything else will run as normal. Also, sunday is just another day in Cambodia; all the stores and markets are open for business as usual.

#2 Posted: 25/8/2012 - 04:20

• Sakavanagh

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2012

Thanks, so it would seem the only problem I will be getting the visa for Vietnam. I will have just one day for this (presumably the embassy will be closed Sunday, and Monday 29th) so do you think getting a visa on 30th in one day is doable? If it will incur an additional charge will I be better off sending my passport away and getting it done in advance (I am planning to go by bus to HCMC so as I understand it cannot get a visa on arrival). I live in the Middle East and there is no embassy here and can't find a fee for the UAE embassy on the website. I have over a month before I travel so time is not an issue.

Thanks again

#3 Posted: 25/8/2012 - 05:00

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I believe they do a quick one day service but that will cost considerably more and you need to be there first thing.Have a look at their site.
    The other alternative, depending on which part of Vietnam you are going to, is take the bus to Sihanoukville and you can obtain a visa at the consulate there in 15 minutes at no extra charge.Then of course you would have to return to Phnom Penh (you can get from Sihanoukville to HCMC in one long day from S'ville) or take the bus going to Hatien which is way down in the delta region of Vietnam and approximately 6 hours to HCMC.If you are going to Phu Quoc Island this would be ideal.
    There is also a visa on arrival service for which you pay an agency to send you a letter of approval to obtain the visa at the airport (if you're flying) Details of this you would have to google unless someone on here has experience they'd like to impart.

#4 Posted: 25/8/2012 - 05:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.