Flag of Cambodia additions

Cambodia additions forum

Koh Russei/Bamboo Island

• bangkokmill-
    ie

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2008

I just came back from Bamboo Island and things seem to have changed since you guys were there. There are 3 bungalow resorts now, the nicest of which was Bimbamboo (only one with private bathrooms but same price as the others). New restaurant called QQ which does great food. The island's the nicest beach place I went to in Cambodia and is as close as I've found anywhere to the isolated, back to nature kind of existence a lot of travellers look for on holiday. Please check out the other places on the island and beef up your section on Bamboo Island!

#1 Posted: 6/1/2008 - 02:22

• Advertisement

• jojow25

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3

Seems Bamboo island became more touristy and less of a natural getaway since your visit... more and more we have seen that these islands surrounding Sihanoukville have been devastated by so called 'development'- we are here now and it is devastating. Bamboo island - beaches are filthy, more like a rubbish tip.. and waters are getting that way too... crowded too... i can't comment on the accomodation.

Same goes for the becahes in Sihanoukville.... just horrible.. i cannot believe how travel agencies and travel guides are still recommending this as a place to escape from it all... if you like bugs, dirty beaches, concrete falling into the sea and crowded beaches littered with children selling things, tuk tuk drivers persistently asking you where you go and all things alcoholic... then i guess this is a place for those kinds of people. The place feels seedy, dody and we did not feel comfortable here at all.. i hope like the footprint guide book, most other guide books and sites start to deter tourists from this place as its becoming more and more overrun with corruption and environmental effluent it seems each time someone vists. Such a shame. It almost makes me feel guilty for being a tourist.

#2 Posted: 23/11/2009 - 16:45

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi jojo,

Sorry to hear you didn't like it -- I thought we were pretty clear in our write-up though, to quote:

"The first time we visited Sihanoukville we loved it, the second time less so; each time after that less so again, as its seediness kinda started to outshine the prettiness. Yet we still find ourselves returning and keep hoping it will realise its full potential. Despite its newfound popularity, it has a somewhat abandoned feel to it, amplified by the number of half-built or deserted plots of land marked out by high and imposing fences -- plots often "owned" by businesspeople with sometimes dubious land titles and an eye for a fast buck.

Ochheuteal Beach, Sihanoukville's most popular, has a bit of a caravan-park feel to it and the motodops here are among the most dodgy in Cambodia. Over the last few years, Thailand has slowly tightened its visa regulations and it seems there's been a commensurate influx to Sihanoukville of crusty, sex-tourist types who have certainly contributed to the rising number of dodgy bars and bar-beers. Sihanoukville also has a long-running problem with foreign and local paedophiles."

So you're saying it is even worse now?

#3 Posted: 23/11/2009 - 17:09

• EdSue

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 8

We are looking at spending some time in Kep and Kampot next time we visit in Jan/Fen 2011. Are these places as bad?

#4 Posted: 27/4/2010 - 00:28

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

No, they're quite different to Sihanoukville.

#5 Posted: 27/4/2010 - 09:17

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I. first visited Bamboo Island 7 years ago and was totally under-whelmed by the place Probably because I was used to the,then.pristine islands off the coast Eastern Malaysia.The coral is dead, such a shame as there is nothing more beautiful than living coral.The sea was murky and the beaches very ordinary.If you've never been to a tropical island I suppose you might think it's OK but there are far better places.

#6 Posted: 16/2/2012 - 07:57

• peter_terra-
    in

Joined Travelfish
    26th February, 2012

I personally find out this island is great and feel like i'm on the private beach while I spend my holiday there he he sunbathing like a boss :D Food is fresh cos the local people there are fisherman, bungalow is good enough for rely on the single island ( we have bed and private bathroom so this would be ok cos we are on the island :D ) the most amazing part of the trip is we go to discover another part of the island by trekking accross the forest - like an adventure.
    Thanks you andrew ( our tour guide ) for let us experience this amazing trip. We would recommend this trip 1 night stay at bamboo island for whom want to visit sihanouk ville or you can contact the travel agency that i bought this package for more information. Here is their email : rya@laroute-angkor.com

#7 Posted: 28/2/2012 - 20:20

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

The walk through the forest is very pleasant but as an island it offers very little more than mainland beaches such as Otres.There is no live coral and not many fish to see if you go snorkelling plus it's a lot more expensive since everything has to be brought in by boat.
    I was in Otres yesterday and noticed a little development on the small island just off the beach there.
    Does anybody have any information on this? I always though this island had no water and no beach.
    Interested to know if anyone has visited it.

#8 Posted: 29/2/2012 - 04:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Koh Russei - Bamboo Island ... By shadek on 28 Dec 2009 1 2874 29 Dec 2009
Bamboo - new guesthouse on Phu Quoc Island ... By vungbaubay on 21 Jan 2010 1 5476 21 Jan 2010
Siem Reap - Bamboo Island ... By imrun on 14 Jun 2010 3 4149 16 Sep 2010