Flag of Cambodia additions

Cambodia additions forum

Warning on River Garden

• kiaoi79

Joined Travelfish
    21st July, 2009

I am an expat living in PPenh for the last year and recently went to visit Siem Reap, and I would like to share my experience there.
    I will name the hotel I stayed at which was "The River Garden" a suggested pick from Lonely Planet. The experienced was marred by the Australian owner who insisted on telling us that it was illegal to have more than 2 people in a tuk-tuk and that it was illegal to ride motorbikes around. She continued to insist that she did not make any money from her tuk-tuk drivers and that they were trustworthy in comparison with the "other drivers" we might find out on the street. As I was with my parents, they just accepted her spin without any question and so I didn't want to upset them.

However this manipulation and deceit really marred the experience there. I feel that she is deceptive and that Lonely Planet should not place her hotel as an "Our Pick" recommendation. To set it stragiht, I have a motorbike and ride it everyday to work, while I have ridden in a tuk-tuk with more 4 foreigners in it.

In addition her fear tactic worked on my parents but the sad thing is that it perpetuates a negative stereotype of tuk-tuk drivers and Cambodians, as if they are not to be trusted and are out to swindle you.

Shame on the River Garden.

#1 Posted: 21/7/2009 - 11:34

• Advertisement

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

OP has also posted this on TT, with an interesting exchange ensuing:
    www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1799672&tstart=0

#2 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 00:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Kanchaburri river Private garden cottage ... By Noiandpat on 23 Dec 2013 0 642 23 Dec 2013