Books for China Travelers

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

For people who are considering a visit to China there are a few books that can really help you get a handle on things, probably the two best reads for being both well written and informative:

The River at the Center of the World by Simon Winchester. Especially good if you are looking to visit Shanghai, Nanjing, do a Yangtze River cruise or go out to Yunnan province.

Oracle Bones by Peter Hessler. This book is a great way to get the history of China while also being exposed to a wealth of experience and information on modern china. Of his books that also include River Town and Country Driving, Oracle Bones is by far the most informative and engaging.

And though there are many good books on the subject, here are a few more recommendations:

Wild Swans by Jung Chang. I'm just going to steal this from the book description on Amazon because they put it very well, "Blending the intimacy of memoir and the panoramic sweep of eyewitness history, Wild Swans has become a bestselling classic in thirty languages, with more than ten million copies sold. The story of three generations in twentieth-century China, it is an engrossing record of Mao's impact on China, an unusual window on the female experience in the modern world, and an inspiring tale of courage and love."

Postcards from Tomorrow Square by James Fallows. Old China hand and current writer and editor for The Atlantic, this is a collection of his essays and articles on China that offer great insight into Modern China and its relationship with the world.

A Short History of Chinese Philosophy by Fung Yu-Lan. You can pretty much read the history of China by following Wikipedia articles or getting a brief overview from the front of a Lonely Planet. There is a lot going on, but a basic understanding of the dynasties is all you'd need before arriving so that you can put the Terracotta Warriors in context with the ancient bronzes or the Ming Tombs of Purple Mountain. However, if you are interested in Chinese thought, this is a great place to start. It begins by really opening up the 'spirit' of Chinese philosophy and then moving through the major movements like Confucius, Lao Tzu, Chuang Tzu and the foundations of Chinese (Zen) Buddhism. There are large parts of the book that the novice may not find necessary, but the descriptions of the main sections are very helpful.

#1 Posted: 27/2/2013 - 00:46

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

So I put this out to Twitter and got a few more suggestions -- I've only read a couple of these and China really isn't my area, so links to Amazon and the recommender (on Twitter).

Riding the Iron Rooster - Theroux being grumpy in China - tks Stuart at RTW Flights
    On Amazon

"Shark's Fin & Sichuan Pepper" For eaters & food travellers - tks Mark at @stickyinhanoi
    On Amazon

Chinese Characters "Fantastic compilation of diverse profiles by some of the best writers on China" - tks Matt at @caffeinatedmatt
    On University of California Press

Red Azalea "Anchee Min's celebrated memoir of growing up in the last years of Mao's China" - tks @watawit01
    On Amazon

Empire of the Sun (Ballard)
    On Amazon

Miracles of Life (Ballard)
    On Amazon

Factory Girls (Leslie Chang)
    On Amazon

Above three all tks to Chris at @travelhappy

More suggestions? add them in please ;)

#2 Posted: 27/2/2013 - 07:37

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Oh - I love Ballard. Didn't even think of that . . . I need to work on my memory. Factory Girls has been sitting on my shelf since I started my masters . . .

#3 Posted: 27/2/2013 - 07:44

• beibaozu

Joined Travelfish
    26th February, 2013

I would suggest taking some Chinese literature as well, what could be better for understanding China than reading its modern literature? And it can also be quite enjoying during your trip.
    Novelists like Yu Hua, Mo Yan, Su Tong, Wang Shuo, Murong Xuecun and more have all been translated to English. Pick one or two before you go.

#4 Posted: 27/2/2013 - 21:34

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

A few more tips in via Twitter -- oddly didn't get any when I asked on Facebook!

News from Tartary: A Journey from Peking to Kashmir by Peter Fleming
    On Amazon

Forbidden Journey: From Peking to Kashmir by Ella Maillart
    On Amazon

Both the above Tks @naomiduguid

River Town: Two Years on the Yangtze by Peter Kessler
    On Amazon

Country Driving by Peter Kessler
    On Amazon

Above two Tks @eatingasia

Thanks for the other suggestions as well beibaozu :-)

#5 Posted: 28/2/2013 - 06:12

• nobody

Joined Travelfish
    26th February, 2013

well,I think the best China guidebook is from Lonely Planet, which is not only rich in content, but also vivid in pictures.

#6 Posted: 1/4/2013 - 20:19

• worldaround-
    the

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2013

I loved Wild Swans. Strongly recommended!

#7 Posted: 25/5/2013 - 07:12

• Risstel

Joined Travelfish
    21st December, 2013

I suggest to have a look at "Shanghai Baby" if you want to read a bit more about the seedier side

#8 Posted: 26/1/2014 - 18:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.