China forum

What's the most beautiful city in China?

• nobody

Joined Travelfish
    26th February, 2013

What's the most beautiful city in China?

#1 Posted: 27/2/2013 - 03:40

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 50
    Places visited:
    At least 43

Urban skyline from a rooftop - Shanghai (. . . oh, are we considering Hong Kong here).
    Walking along streets - Lijiang, Xiamen (Gulangyu Island)
    Topography - Guilin/Yangshuo
    Majority say - Hangzhou

#2 Posted: 27/2/2013 - 06:50

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

History - Beijing and X'ian.

Topography - Yangshuo (as casey has said)

Obscene displays of weath - Shanghai

Food - Chengdu.

Overall my vote goes to X'ian, a great, great city.

#3 Posted: 27/2/2013 - 08:28

• beibaozu

Joined Travelfish
    26th February, 2013

If we exclude Hong Kong, Hangzhou is probably #1 for combining urban scenery with nature.
    If it's just great urban views you're looking for, then Shanghai would be your best choice.
    I don't think Guilin is a good example, the scenery around it is indeed beautiful, but the city itself has nothing.
    Chongqing can seem nice when you view it from afar, but extremely ugly when you walk its streets. Still, it is one of China's most fascinating cities I think.

#4 Posted: 27/2/2013 - 21:42

• fanhongjuan

Joined Travelfish
    24th February, 2013

I once traveled to Guilin and Yangshuo with my friends in October, 2011. We set off alongside the tranquil Li River for a good introduction to Guangxi's dreamlike scenery, with its otherworldly karst topography as a backdrop. Many streets are embroidered with osmanthus trees, filling the air with a sweet fragrance. Take the bamboo raft ride or cycle through the dreamy valleys.

#5 Posted: 28/2/2013 - 00:21

• stefanw

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2010

Why has no one even mentioned Qingdao? Not sure about the new area but the old town is great, it's not a typical chinese city but I don't think it matters.

#6 Posted: 12/3/2013 - 00:52

• TravelBandit

Click here to learn more about TravelBandit
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2013
    Location South Africa

Lijiang is incredibly scenic, even though you can hardly move through the crowds of Chinese tourists. You just can't NOT like it.

Of the big cities we visited in a 30-day trip last year (see my China 2012 travelogue), my wife and I thought Xi'an was the nicest.

#7 Posted: 27/5/2013 - 01:41

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 50
    Places visited:
    At least 43

I also found that if you get up early in Lijiang the tourist crowds aren't too bad, and on the side streets are nearly empty on most days.

Personally when I was in Xi'an I found it rather dusty and the area outside of the old city wall had very little character. That said, there are many historical sites there and once inside the city wall and wandering around the muslim quarter it can be pleasant.

#8 Posted: 27/5/2013 - 08:20

• FisherMaster

Joined Travelfish
    5th August, 2013

Beijing has to be never one. But a lesser known place is Pingyao, 3hours by train from Beijing, amazing old town.

#9 Posted: 5/8/2013 - 19:38

• MellisaTurn-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    16th March, 2013

Beijing, China's capital city over 700 years is the most beautiful city. It is one of the most populous cities in the world.

#10 Posted: 11/10/2013 - 06:44

• Advertisement

• rosemariela-
    ca

Joined Travelfish
    24th November, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi, in my view, Shanghai isĀ­ the most beautiful city of China. It is a historical and cultural city. Travelling Shanghai, you can see the blending of Westerin and Eastern culture. If you have chance, you should visit Yu Garden, Yuyuan Market, Oriental Pearl TV tower, The Bund, Shanghai Museum, Zhujiajiao, or Nanjing Road.

#11 Posted: 24/11/2013 - 21:56

• markalan0123

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2013

Most popular cities in china i really like it

Guilin (Yangshuo/Longsheng)
    Jiuzhaigou
    Huangshan
    Shangri-la

#12 Posted: 12/12/2013 - 08:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.