China forum

Vietnam/Hanoi to Kunming

• jocschneider

Joined Travelfish
    3rd July, 2013

I am meeting a friend in Kunming after a month of traveling through Vietnam and was wondering if anyone can give me advice on the best way to do this. I have found some flights at approx. $300, and obviously this will be the most comfortable mode of travel, but if anyone has had good experiences of traveling overland please let me know!
    Thanks in advance!
    -Jess

#1 Posted: 31/8/2013 - 00:51

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I haven't gone into Vietnam there, but have traveled by bus along the China/Vietnam/Lao border. If you cross at Hekou you can stop at Yuanyang for a night to check out the rice terraces there. Once you're in Yuanyang it'll take the better part of a day to get up to Kunming - so you could do this in 2 days from the border, though there isn't really reason to rush.

Reminder that you have to get your visa setup before arrival to China.

#2 Posted: 31/8/2013 - 01:53

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

I had to do this a few years ago cause I was on overdue on my Vietnamese visa. Though wouldn't recommend if you hate long bus rides.
    I took the bus from Hanoi to Vientiane (Laos) which was quite a ride but had a lot of fun in the minibus (also had my Chinese visa done in Vientiane).
    stayed the night in Vientiane en took the bus to Oudomxay (north of Laos). stayed the night and took the bus to Mengla (China, just across the border with Laos), stayed the night here as well and the next day moved on towards JunJinghong. A few hours of the bus to have a look around and get some dinner before taking the bus to Kunming.

So this way it took me about 4-5 days to get to Kunming but was well worth the trip to see a lot more places then I had planned.
    Wouldn't suggest if you're on a time schedule as you never know if buses will be on time or not.

fun trip so I'd consider doing it again and even splitting it up with extra nights at Luang Prabang and eastern Laos if you have the time (just get of the bus and stay with the locals and wait for the next bus the next day or hitch hike).

a well $300 ain't that much for a flight to Kunming :p.

#3 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 08:33

• jocschneider

Joined Travelfish
    3rd July, 2013

Thank you for the replies! This is all so helpful, however for a first time traveller..very daunting aswell. I will most probably fly so I get more time in Hanoi/North Vietnam to explore.
    Thanks again!

#4 Posted: 3/9/2013 - 14:11

• rosemariela-
    ca

Joined Travelfish
    24th November, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi. if you plan go to Kunming from Hanoi , you need to go from Hanoi to Lao Cai by train first. and then go the border by public bus. After going the border, you need to get another bus to Kunming. However, going by this way is very tired. As you will go to Kunming for the first time, the besst way for you is going there by airway. It is also much safer than going by land.

#5 Posted: 24/11/2013 - 21:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
crossing the border from Hanoi into China to Kunming. ... By harajuku4me_pls on 6 May 2008 4 5132 9 May 2008