China forum

Beijing to Yunnan

• Walkerfly

Joined Travelfish
    3rd December, 2013

I’ll spend two months(business) in Beijing next January, and plan to have a trip to Yunnan. I guess it’s a beautiful and mysterious place after browsing some photos there. Would anyone tell me what are the most worthy destinations of Yunnan, and where to stay? I have about 1 week to do the trip. THX

#1 Posted: 3/12/2013 - 20:23

• Advertisement

• cybermutiny

Click here to learn more about cybermutiny
    Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2013
    Location Thailand

I agree with the places Alice mentioned. May I also suggest visiting the rice terrace fields in Yuanyang, Yunnan. The scale of that place is breathtaking, with rice terraces skillfully carved into mountainsides as far as the eye can see.

Just look at google images for "Yuanyang" and you'll see what I'm raving about.

#2 Posted: 10/12/2013 - 08:55

• Walkerfly

Joined Travelfish
    3rd December, 2013

Thank you so much! The rice terrace fields seem awesome!! But Could anyone tell me which hotel in Yuanyang is good enough at reasonable price?

#3 Posted: 17/12/2013 - 01:11

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Hey - I can't see Alice's post but depending on how much time you have I'd recommend an itinerary such as this:

Fly into Kunming, stay a couple days and spend one day trip out out to the Stone Forest and another at Xishan that you can visit via city bus just outside the city proper.

Head down to Yuanyang if that is your choice, it will take you half a day on public bus to reach the city at the base of the hills, then you'll have to arrange to get on a mini-bus to go up to the county where the rice terraces are. There aren't really any 'proper' hotels there, I'd recommend you just find a guesthouse that suits your liking. Most won't arrange accommodation ahead of time as they don't really speak English or do email.

With this plan though, you don't have much time to do anything else as Dali and Lijiang (by far more touristy but for good reason) are in the opposite direction of YY.

For that reason, I'd say that if for myself I had only one week, I'd splurge and fly direct into Lijiang from Beijing, avoiding the urban though "Spring City" of Kunming and instead spending the whole week in the Lijiang area. With Tiger Leaping Gorge in March it may be too rainy to hike, but you'd still be able to make a day trip out of it . . . and if somehow you got board in Lijiang you could take a bus down to Dali for a night to bike around the lake there.

#4 Posted: 17/12/2013 - 21:06

• Walkerfly

Joined Travelfish
    3rd December, 2013

Thank you all. #4 made a nice plan for me. And I'll just fly direct into Lijiang from Beijing, and begin be vacation there in Yunnan!

#5 Posted: 25/12/2013 - 21:07

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Glad we could help. Hope you enjoy the trip.

#6 Posted: 27/12/2013 - 08:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.