China forum

travelling in China during a national holiday

• scotthutch90

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2013

We will be arriving in Beijing on the 3rd of October and just found out this will be right in the middle of National Day Holiday which is apparently chaos as far as transport accomodation and sights are concerned, has anyone experienced being in Beijing or just China in general during a national holiday? Is it really as bad as I'm thinking it may be?

#1 Posted: 4/4/2014 - 07:33

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

For example, just yesterday I was returning from Hangzhou to Shanghai and it was Tomb Sweeping holiday. Mind you, this is a three day holiday that should end on Monday. However, even on Sunday afternoon around 2pm we found that every train was booked full until 9:30pm - and even for that we could only get standing tickets. This was unexpected considering that the holiday is still going through today. I highly recommend that you pre-book as much of your transportation as you can if you are traveling to other cities at this time. Same would go for accomodation, especially in Beijing, which is obviously a very popular destination for the National Day Holiday.

You'll certainly find major shopping areas and tourist sites are going to be crowded at this time - as it is one of the few weeks each year that the majority of people have a holiday. You don't actually get your own vacation time for a lot of jobs here in China. Instead, everyone gets the same week off at the same time of year. I picked a friend up in Shanghai during National Holiday back in 2007 and we decided to check out Nanjing Dong Lu (famous pedestrian shopping street) --- I can honestly say that I have never before or since seen so many people at one time.

#2 Posted: 7/4/2014 - 01:44

• scotthutch90

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2013

Thank you for your reply! We wont be travelling too muvh mainly to and from tourist sites in Beijing before leaving for Xi'an still dont have a confirmed date to leave Beijing as of yet. Am I right in saying that National Holiday starts on the 1st on Oct and catries on until the 7th and if we are staying in Beijing from the 3rd until after the 7th we will be missing most of the chaos? We will just have to deal with and maje the most of the busy tourist sites wgilst in Beijing?

#3 Posted: 7/4/2014 - 01:56

• davidally

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2014

Almost all Chinese people will have a seven-day holiday at the beginning of October, because of the celebration of Chinese National Day. People will go to the large cities and coastal cities, such as Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Qingdao, and Sanya.
    When visiting popular Chinese destinations during National Holiday high hotel rates, traffic jams, and crowds make it a travel nightmare. Nevertheless, the weather is really pleasant in most places in China and a lot of resort areas are at their best during this period.
    If you’re planning to visit China at this time or if you live in China and are looking for an outing, there are still some ways to maximize your enjoyment. Some places with fewer crowds might be worth a visit.

#4 Posted: 24/10/2014 - 04:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
National Day Holiday in China? ... By kandpfishos on 11 Jun 2011 2 1798 12 Jun 2011
Thailand Holiday visa for Cameroonian National ... By katiegray on 6 Oct 2009 3 2621 7 Oct 2009