Photo: Terraces, Yuanyang.

China forum

travelling in China during a national holiday

Posted by scotthutch90 on 4/4/2014 at 07:33

We will be arriving in Beijing on the 3rd of October and just found out this will be right in the middle of National Day Holiday which is apparently chaos as far as transport accomodation and sights are concerned, has anyone experienced being in Beijing or just China in general during a national holiday? Is it really as bad as I'm thinking it may be?

#1 scotthutch90 has been a member since 12/3/2013. Posts: 14

Posted by caseyprich on 7/4/2014 at 01:44

For example, just yesterday I was returning from Hangzhou to Shanghai and it was Tomb Sweeping holiday. Mind you, this is a three day holiday that should end on Monday. However, even on Sunday afternoon around 2pm we found that every train was booked full until 9:30pm - and even for that we could only get standing tickets. This was unexpected considering that the holiday is still going through today. I highly recommend that you pre-book as much of your transportation as you can if you are traveling to other cities at this time. Same would go for accomodation, especially in Beijing, which is obviously a very popular destination for the National Day Holiday.

You'll certainly find major shopping areas and tourist sites are going to be crowded at this time - as it is one of the few weeks each year that the majority of people have a holiday. You don't actually get your own vacation time for a lot of jobs here in China. Instead, everyone gets the same week off at the same time of year. I picked a friend up in Shanghai during National Holiday back in 2007 and we decided to check out Nanjing Dong Lu (famous pedestrian shopping street) --- I can honestly say that I have never before or since seen so many people at one time.

#2 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by scotthutch90 on 7/4/2014 at 01:56

Thank you for your reply! We wont be travelling too muvh mainly to and from tourist sites in Beijing before leaving for Xi'an still dont have a confirmed date to leave Beijing as of yet. Am I right in saying that National Holiday starts on the 1st on Oct and catries on until the 7th and if we are staying in Beijing from the 3rd until after the 7th we will be missing most of the chaos? We will just have to deal with and maje the most of the busy tourist sites wgilst in Beijing?

#3 scotthutch90 has been a member since 12/3/2013. Posts: 14

Posted by davidally on 24/10/2014 at 04:23

Almost all Chinese people will have a seven-day holiday at the beginning of October, because of the celebration of Chinese National Day. People will go to the large cities and coastal cities, such as Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Qingdao, and Sanya.
When visiting popular Chinese destinations during National Holiday high hotel rates, traffic jams, and crowds make it a travel nightmare. Nevertheless, the weather is really pleasant in most places in China and a lot of resort areas are at their best during this period.
If you’re planning to visit China at this time or if you live in China and are looking for an outing, there are still some ways to maximize your enjoyment. Some places with fewer crowds might be worth a visit.

#4 davidally has been a member since 10/7/2014. Posts: 12

Posted by Avy on 26/11/2014 at 02:28

Travel in the Golden Week is not a good choice at all, since it's so many people going out. It's very crowded. But the most important thing that makes people feel confused is that they can only arrange their time during this period. That's really a problem.

#5 Avy has been a member since 25/11/2014. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.