admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'm just reposted this as I'm a bit taken aback at how few entries there have been in our win a backpack competition!

Come on people!

This is a really neat pack worth around US$120 and all you need do to enter is tell us a robbery story -- these are dime a dozen on the travellin' trail! Yet we've had just five entries!

Anyways, the competition thread is here ... so stop bantering about slow boats, bus timetables and scenic beaches and go win a backpack instead.

Or better still -- do both ;-)

#1 Posted: 8/7/2009 - 14:39

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

This is unfair - I don't have any robbery stories! Unless you count my home in NZ...

Hey, I know - does 'being scammed' count as robbery??

#2 Posted: 8/7/2009 - 19:32

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sure - why not!

#3 Posted: 8/7/2009 - 20:17

• carol4

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2009

Yea I had a bag snathched at a railway station, very sneaky, one guy tried to ask questions in some outerspace language, that i just could not understand, tried to though while the other guy came up behind grabbed the bag & then dissappeared never to be seen again. Happy Birhday.

#4 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 09:47

• carlocargo

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2007

taking a cab in KL is like robbery! nobody uses the meter! the drivers always set a price and tell you it's traffic in the city centre. does this story count? haha. it is highway robbery!

#5 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 10:13

• smash

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009

Haha that KL story reminds me of the taxi drivers outside the Westin KL trying to charge me MYR35 to take me to KLCC. Inflated much? It actually took me ages to find a cab that day... Then the guy who charged me MYR10 to drive 100m down the road... Love taxis in Asia!

#6 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 10:57

• tammivalent-
    ine

Joined Travelfish
    31st May, 2009
    Location South Africa

how is this for a robbery story, we are from south africa after all!! caught a flight from durban to cape town had my back pack with me as hand luggage in the compartment above me. As the plane landed and we wanted to leave the plane my back pack was no where to be seen! As we were walking along the tar mac to the airport. there i saw it, A man had it on his back. I approached him and guess what he said to me: "You are lucky this time be more careful in the future" ... the cheek of it!

#7 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 20:22

• jawo

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2008

Luckily, I have never been robbed while traveling since I love PacSafe products. However, the first time I went traveling on my own, I should have known better and fell hook, line, and sinker for a common tourist ploy. I was standing at on top of the Spanish steps in Rome, looking around, taking pictures. This one suave guy comes up and starts talking to me, then pulls out some string, asking me to put my finger in a loop. He has this great story about what the colors mean, what the weave means, and 10 minutes later have the 6 inch glorified zipper pull. Suddenly the first guy disappears, and another guy comes along and demands 20 Euro for services rendered. I tried to argue, but suddenly he only spoke Italian very quickly...there was no point in arguing. Paid the guy and walked away a world wiser.

#8 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 20:37

• travelman123

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2009

I went to Bangkok in 2007 and while on Koh San Road I made friends with a Tuk Tuk driver. He was really young, maybe 20-21 or so. We made plans to hang out that night when he finished. I met up with the guy and joked that we should get a massage.

I got into his tuk tuk and he randomly stopped at a convenience store. He brought me an open beer which I didn't ask for but appreciated the gesture and drank it. Then things got a little fuzzy.

I had never visited a hooker before and had always been morally against it. I had visited Pattaya a year earlier and never even touched one. But a little while after that beer....Two girls later.....even bought one for the tuk tuk driver......

Before my trip I had planned a tight budget ($30-$40 a day). In my right mind I would never visit a hooker (no problem with others who do it, just isn't my thing) not to mention I would have NEVER spent that much money on a single night.

Not sure what all happened, there was a lot that I never remembered but lets just say that I woke up with about $800 less than I had before.

#9 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 20:58

• ottsworld

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

I had my pants stolen in Morocco. They were my favorite travel pants - I had been traveling for a year and the zipper finally broke. I used a safety pin for weeks and finally had time in Essouria Morocco to find a tailor in the medina there as I was going to be there for 3 days and he had time to fix the zipper. I went back to pick up the pants and he gave me a bag with someone else's similiar pants - I said - "these aren't my pants" A neighbor had to come and translate the conversation for us, but I found out that he gave my pants to the wrong customer - some local guy. He said he'd contact the local guy (he knew him) and have him bring them back and fix the mistake. I came back the next day - he hands me a bag with another pair of pants that aren't mine. I say these aren't mine. Neighbor once again translates and says that the local guy like my pants better so he decided to keep them for himself. The tailor felt so badly that he bought me a new pair of pants (2 sizes too small for me - but it was the thought that counted). That's how I lost my pants in Morocco.

#10 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 21:57

• Advertisement

• spenlunc

Joined Travelfish
    22nd August, 2009

This is my real life experience..I was in my second year of my graduation when in our college a tour has been arranged.I was dwelling in hostel in those days.As we want to take many photographs i got a digital camera from my relative and we took lots of snaps..After returning back to college i felt very tired and so didn't transfer the images and got slept..When i got up i found only the case but not the camera..I enquired all the friends who accompanied me whether they see it but receives negative response..But after a week accidentally i found that camera in the room-mate's bag..When i started asking him abt it he threatened me by showing a knife as we both were alone in the room..I somewhat understanding that situation slowly move towards the door talking with him..Suddenly i jumped out of the room and closed the door..Finally called all my friends and staffs and it ended in some corrosive manner..Thank God for being left out the scenario without any harm..

#11 Posted: 22/8/2009 - 14:38

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sorry spenlunc, the comp closed a few weeks ago -- I'll shut this thread off.

#12 Posted: 23/8/2009 - 18:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

This post has been locked by the moderator.