Culture and politics forum

ok to be a lefty?

• sic8vita8est

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2010

Not politically, I assume that's ok :)

Every book I read says its impolite/disgusting to eat with your left hand in Asia. The problem is, I'm left-handed and its not real easy to re-learn how to use chopsticks with my other hand.

I still have a few months before I head to SEA. Is anybody really going to care if I use my left hand??

#1 Posted: 8/6/2010 - 12:26

• Advertisement

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

Every book I read says its impolite/disgusting to eat with your left hand in Asia

Asia is really huge & diverse. this thing about not using the left hand for food applies only to certain ethnic groups, & usually only in situations where food (esp rice) is eaten using bare hands - rationale = hygiene (right hand for food, left hand for cleaning butt in loo). people from these ethnic groups will use their left hand when they're eating with utensils - fork/chopsticks in one hand, spoon in the other.

#2 Posted: 8/6/2010 - 22:46

• sic8vita8est

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2010

Thanks, WC. I suppose the area "Asia" was a bit overbroad. Now I can start worrying about more important aspects of my trip. . .

#3 Posted: 9/6/2010 - 12:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.