Culture and politics forum

art in se asia??

• andrea13

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

i read the article on 10 bangkok galleries, can anyone point me in the direction of useful websites with overviews of contemporary south east asian art? or books? seems to be particularly difficult to find information on contemporary art movements etc. thanksss!xx

#1 Posted: 6/8/2010 - 06:15

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Andrea,

I can't really tell from your post if you are planning on going to Thailand, or if you're asking out of interest, etc. I might be able to help out a little (if you are going to Bangkok.)

Right on the Chao Phraya River, very close to the Royal Palace and Wat Pho, is Silpakorn University. They have a couple of contemporary art galleries you can visit. Free admission. If you go you'll run into a lot of gallery workers and students who speak good English. If you ask them, I'm sure you'll get a truckload of good info regarding movements, galleries, exhibitions, etc.

Good luck.

#2 Posted: 20/8/2010 - 02:30

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

For books, google "Steven Pettifor" : he is a Bangkok resident who has written extensively about Thai art and the Thai art scene. Should be a good starting point.

#3 Posted: 20/8/2010 - 08:48

• divejunkie

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010

Hi,

I only know one book; "Indonesian contemporary art now" by Marc Bollansee and Enin Supriyanto. If you happen to be in Jakarta, go to 'Jakarta Art District' in Grand Indonesia, East Mall, Lower Ground. Check it out; http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2010/02/18/an-art-district-jakarta.html
    Hope it helps!

#4 Posted: 29/9/2010 - 22:44

• glomer

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

There is also a very lively contemporary art scene in Yogyakarta. The Indonesian Visual Art Archive is a good resource.

#5 Posted: 30/9/2010 - 01:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.