Culture and politics forum

Khmers losing their cool

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Coming back on the Sorya bus 1.10 p.m. on Saturday the bus suddenly hurled to the left and then back onto the right side.Three boys on a motorbike had just pulled off the dirt at the side of the road diagonally and straight into the path of the bus.The driver completely lost his cool and pulling to the side of the moving motor began a long and very rude invective aimed at them.One of them must have said something back as he told the conductor to fetch an ugly, long iron bar.It was clearly the intention of the boy to take a swing at the riders with an iron bar FFS!!! It was only the wailing of the Khmer passengers and the distraught shouts of 'no' which made him hesitate thankfully as he would have broken someone's back.
    Has anybody else had similar experiences of S.E.Asians losing it like this?
    The boys deserved a 'clip round the ear' for their stupidity but an iron bar.Wow that was OTT.

#1 Posted: 23/1/2012 - 05:37

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

More than once. My wife was at a bar here when a dispute over nothing ended up in a dead guy in the parking lot. My cleaning lady from Vietnam had a friend who was killed in their apartment when one guy didn't like the way he said "excuse me" to get past where this small group was drinking / eating (they were drunk of course). He was stabbed to death. On my street two guys got into a fist fight which quickly escalated into a shooting. At the Mukdahan fair kids from two neighboring villages got into it, the smaller group fled in a car, they were chased down by a larger group of kids armed with pistols. The car crashed into the wall at Mukdahan School, and the kids on the motorbikes got off and cooly shot each passenger before he could get out. Killed all four. There's more violence here than the wild west and almost always over nothing.

#2 Posted: 23/1/2012 - 05:55

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Surprising to hear these kinds of stories. From my experiences there and from what I've heard from others, Asia is not a dangerous place to travel, particularly not, one would imagine, when compared with South or Central America. The worst experiences I had in the region was being ripped off a few times.

These stories clearly blow the myth.

#3 Posted: 23/1/2012 - 06:08

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Well China, actually Thailand is not a dangerous place to travel providing you are polite and friendly. There is a ton of violence here, but it's mostly caused by passion. The reason most people who visit here don't realize that the level of violence is high is because of all the smiles and the friendly nature of the people. That is mistaken for cool headedness and kindly nature. People here are friendly, but when they lose it, they really lose it. We don't fit into their system, so as a result we usually get a pass. Occassionally you see a foreigner yelling at a local, but it's pretty rare. Most people here on vacation want to have fun, and most people who live here know better. So for your average tourist, this place is quite safe with that caveat.

South and Central America, on the other hand, have a lot of poverty based violent crime. That's a whole other kettle of fish as a tourist is an easier target and probably has more money on him than an indigenous person.

#4 Posted: 23/1/2012 - 06:38

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

Sayadian,

Isn't that "road rage?" It sure isn't limited to Asia.

#5 Posted: 23/1/2012 - 11:05

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Have to agree with you Madmac. Don't make them lose "face".

#6 Posted: 23/1/2012 - 17:05

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Yep - you embarass a local here, and you are playing with fire. That, and the village kids killing each other just because. Kind of like gangs in south central.

#7 Posted: 23/1/2012 - 20:38

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

goonistik
    It certainly was 'road rage' but I always thought people in these parts accept and expect stupid driving.
    Madmac
    With respect, how do you 'embarass' someone by being an idiotic driver?
    I suspect it was something the boy said which made him lose control NOT the imbecilic driving, since if it wasn't for the quick reaction of the driver they would have all died without a doubt.

#8 Posted: 23/1/2012 - 22:53

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

yes Sayadian, I agree. He probably said something - all precipitated by the driving of course.

#9 Posted: 24/1/2012 - 02:28

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Atleast in asia, it usually involves an interaction between people. In the states you have to wear body armour to go out to eat. Some clown pissed off at his wife may walk in dressed like Rambo and decide to kill 30 people.
    Sayadian.... "expect and accept stupid driving" LOL I know I do.

#10 Posted: 24/1/2012 - 02:44

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Neosho
    Don't fool yourself. The firearms homicide rate in Thailand is TWICE the US. No matter how you slice it or dice it, Thailand and SEA as a whole are much more violent societies.

#11 Posted: 24/1/2012 - 12:16

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

I wasn't saying it isn't Madmac. But from what I have seen, there is usually a reason involving people behind it, unlike killing innocent strangers. Even Thailand has it's ocasional whacko but you can read about it almost every week happening in the states. America is my home country, like yours and it's sad to see.

#12 Posted: 25/1/2012 - 07:16

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Interesting thread guys but a quick Internet search (and it was quick, maybe MADMAC has more reliable figures) does not back up what you are saying.

North America has a worst number of homicides per 100,000 population than SE Asia.

Happy to stand corrected though.

#13 Posted: 25/1/2012 - 07:29

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Neosho,
    Absolutely. These are almost always crimes of passion with the occassional business murder thrown in.

China
    Gun violence, not homicides. Thailand is the only country listed here though - coming in at number three. If they had numbers for it, I am sure Somalia would be higher.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-crime-murders-with-firearms

#14 Posted: 25/1/2012 - 09:44

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

I think I remember reading a few years ago in the Bangkok Post where Thailand was up in the top slots. Can't remember all the details or numbers though. I've slept since then.

#15 Posted: 25/1/2012 - 17:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.