Culture and politics forum

Thai wedding ceremony

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

A friend of mine is about to marry a Thai woman from the area, and he asked me what the wedding ceremony was going to be like. I asked him how "culturally sensitive" he wanted to be. Of course, he wants to make a good impression on his new in laws. So I told him one word applies - pain. I spent five hours on my knees, man I could barely stand when my wedding was over. I sucked it up, and pretended it was a great time, but it was horrible. Hot, jet-lagged, dehydrated and my knees and back were screaming by the time the chanting was over.

Have any of you married a Thai and how painful was the ceremony? Mine was almost ten years ago, and I can remember it like it was yesterday.

My "homestay", which was two months long, was also an interesting adventure. Thank God I had a work project to do (repairing the house) to keep me busy, because the village was incredibly boring.

#1 Posted: 24/6/2009 - 00:16

• Advertisement

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

I'm married to a Thai but got married in Aus-so therefore it was quite painless.Went to my step-son's wedding a couple of years back in Mae Sot but it was very low key.Only immediate family and performed by a solitary Monk.The ceremony was over in about 30mins.I don't think I could last 5 hours on my knees;5 minutes is about my limit.

#2 Posted: 24/6/2009 - 15:15

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I don't know how I did it. I recently attended a bhudist ceremony where my neighbor became a monk, and that was a whole lot less painful.

I met a guy here who was older (and I must say particularly obnoxious vis a vis his Thai wife) and he insisted on a chair. So everyone else was on their knees and he sat in a chair, looking ridiculous. Too bad some other accomodation couldn't be found. The way he treats her, though, they'll be divorced in a year. She's in it for the money, he's in it for the nookie - not a recipe for a long term relationship.

#3 Posted: 24/6/2009 - 17:04

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

I got married in Bangkok in Bang Lak and it was just me and my wifey and it was very emotional when we gave each other our rings about an hour later in an MK restaurant!

We love each other, thats all that matters to us.

Now what matters to her family is a different story! heheh :)

#4 Posted: 9/8/2009 - 16:28

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Problem sorted.

;)

#5 Posted: 12/8/2009 - 15:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.