Culture and politics forum

Soi Dogs

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

One of the many problems facing Thailand is the amount of stray dogs wandering the city streets.For the first time visitor,from the West,it must be upsetting to see these animals in such a state.I'm sure all of us have seen them,covered in sores,fleas,no hair etc-so what's the answer?I know there are a few homes for them but really the problem is just too great.Culling is probably the way to go and I think there may have been some talk about it a while back but it was taken no further.Anyone got any ideas?

#1 Posted: 6/7/2009 - 15:25

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"I'm sure all of us have seen them,covered in sores,fleas,no hair etc-so what's the answer?"

On my street I feed them and send them to the little dog care place (which incredily is also on my street) to get a bath once in a while. Man, those dogs do love me too!!! My neighbors think it's weird.

For a tourist, sadly the answer is probably ignore them. Maybe give them some scraps when you have the opportunity. Sadly there isn't much you can do.

#2 Posted: 6/7/2009 - 17:23

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

There is something you can do. Make a donation a group called Soi Cats and Dogs (SCAD). Here is a description from their website:

Established in 2002, SCAD (previously Soi Dog Rescue*) is a not-for-profit organisation with realistic goals: to reduce the number and improve the lives of Bangkok’s strays and, in so doing, create a happier and healthier environment for all to enjoy.

You can read more about SCAD at: http://www.scadbangkok.org/

#3 Posted: 7/7/2009 - 06:37

• jessieo

Joined Travelfish
    20th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 4

You can absolutely help! There are a lot of organizations all across Thailand that help with strays. Currently I am plunked down in Ko Lanta walking and spending time with the dogs at Lanta Animal Welfare
    run by the amazingly big hearted Junie of 'Time for Lime' fame.

They always need donations and volunteers - as far as I know there are many of these organizations on the islands and in Bangkok and Chiang Mai as well.

http://www.lantaanimalwelfare.com/start.htm

A few hours or a few hundred baht a week can make a lot of difference.

Cheers!

#4 Posted: 7/7/2009 - 18:45

• Thaiman

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

'there are many of these organizations on the islands,Bangkok and Chian Mai'

There certainly is organizations in those places but really it is just a drop in the bucket compared to the whole problem.If you go out into the country where there's hardly any tourists then they receive very little help.We have a small flat in a Soi off Ladphrao in Bangkok and the place is littered with them.Every Soi in the area is the same.Thais are just bought up with them so it's just a part of life.As MADMAC says he does his best but his neighbours think it's weird.
    The dogs would all congregate around you're front gate would'nt they MADMAC?

#5 Posted: 8/7/2009 - 14:19

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

We used to have around 20 soi dogs on our soi (Sukhumvit Soi 27) in Bangkok. When they all got going the noise was unbelievable. I'd be on the phone and the other end would be saying "Where the hell are you?!"

Yes no easy solutions. Sure support the foundations that are doing great work, but in places like Bangkok, where there is an immense number of strays, mass sterilisations combined with culling would be a good start.

I remember reading about a dog "ashram" out in Kanchanaburi what had some totally mental number of dogs -- tens of thousands from memory. I can't imagine the racket on a full moon.

#6 Posted: 8/7/2009 - 14:33

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Somtam
    You live on soi 27? Shit that's a stones throw from where I was just staying. I ought to come by when I'm out there again in three weeks. Do you have an office out there? Like an official travelfish office or something?

#7 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 18:45

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

MAC,

I'm pretty sure somtam lives in Indonesia, but used to live on Soi 27 all those many years ago. Great area.

By the way, did you make it over to Larry's Dive on your latest trip?

On the stray dog topic, I agree that most efforts are only a drop in the bucket, but even just a drop is better than nothing at all. Even in the United States, nearly 4 million homeless dogs and cats are euthanized every year. Like somtam says, spay and neuter is the long-term answer.

I occasionally volunteer with a few of the animal rescue groups in my area. Their philosphy is pretty simple. Rescuing a stray animal won't change the world. But it means the world for that stray animal. The SCAD (Soi Dogs) group I mentioned above seems to be doing great work and is worthy of a little support. Cheers.

#8 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 01:05

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

There's a Canadian guy running the place, but I did not get his name while there this time. Man, the ribs were good. Falling off the bone.

#9 Posted: 13/7/2009 - 03:47

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Now I have two soi dogs. My cleaning girl fed this stray, he followed her here, my wife fed him, took him to the vet for a cleaning on the corner... he decided our soi was the place to be. So now I have adopted another dog - or he adopted me. Pretty soon we'll have a pack out front.

#10 Posted: 14/7/2009 - 00:26

• Advertisement

• Thaiman

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

If I lived in Thailand I would have to adopt a couple or 3 or 4....Probably find it difficult to know when to stop.

#11 Posted: 14/7/2009 - 13:47

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Well, "Dtong" got a bath today. he was a dirty dog. At first he was nervous, but then he got so he was rather enjoying it, with tail wagging and no resistance to staying put. We're also in the process of fattening him up.

#12 Posted: 14/7/2009 - 15:28

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

just a follow up to the previous discussion, i got an email today from Soi Cats & Dogs (SCAD) that they'd passed the 6,000 sterilisations milestone since they've started their spay/neuter operations.

#13 Posted: 23/7/2009 - 05:53

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

If i could take all the strays home with me I would.

Very sad really.

:(

#14 Posted: 9/8/2009 - 15:28

• scottyheath-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2008

Must admit, I'm an animal lover too and when I visited Bali, most of the dogs followed me around as I was feeding them. I know it's not helping the problem but I can't sit around eating if there's something hungry sitting watching me with pleading eyes. I guess I'm just a soft touch and judging from the other comments on this thread, I'm not the only one around which is a good thing.

#15 Posted: 30/11/2009 - 14:19

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

I developed a fear of Thai strays in Ayutthaya, pretty much everytime i was within 50 metres of one they went crazy, barking, snarling... i guess the Auytthaya dogs just don't like me or perhaps they're beaten/harrassed more by people. It definately took some enjoyment away from the place. There were a few more dotted around in other places, usually markets, but no where near as bad as here. I only saw one hairless dog, near death, lyining in the middle of the road and that wasn't very nice to see.

I think some effort to control the numbers is a must, as Somtam says, through sterilisation and culling might be the way to go.

#16 Posted: 30/11/2009 - 16:58

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

One good solution here.
    http://www.travelfish.org/feature/158

I started to take one in once, called it "Ajan". This old Canadien guy I lived with who grew up on a farm was adamant that I not name it and not take it in unless I was willing to assume full responsiblity for it for the rest of it's life. I'm with PETA on this one, euthanize.

#17 Posted: 30/11/2009 - 19:10

• scottyheath-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2008

I know this might be a sensitive subject (and it probably belongs in the culture and religion thread but since it's connected to soi dogs, I'll leave it in here), but doesn't abusing animals conflict with Buddism?

#18 Posted: 1/12/2009 - 00:43

• scottyheath-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2008

Silly me - this IS the culture and politics thread......

#19 Posted: 1/12/2009 - 01:42

• Thaiman

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

Had a pretty ordinary experience with one of the wife's Brother-in-Law's dogs on the latest trip to Thailand.One night it got sick,whimpering and crying all night.In the morning it was in a bad way,could'nt move and laying on the ground outside the house.The family put an umbrella over it to make it as comfortable as possible and basically it was just left to die.Could'nt do anything else-no vet available and even if there was they probably would'nt have taken it.Died that afternoon and we buried it in the garden.

#20 Posted: 1/12/2009 - 03:10

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

Scottyheather I think that's the problem. No one can euthanise a dog because they don't want to kill anything. Like Thaimans experience above, the animals are just left to suffer.

People seem to have no difficulty killing chickens, or carrying them hanging down by thier tied up legs on the back of a motorcycle.

#21 Posted: 1/12/2009 - 10:19

• scottyheath-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2008

Yeah Somsai - that's something that gets me too. I've seen some creatures killed in the most barbaric and inhumane methods imaginable in the name of 'food' in SE Asia but then they won't put a dog out of its misery to ease its suffering? I don't really get it. I'm just now sure how they distinguish between the two.

#22 Posted: 1/12/2009 - 14:55

• scottyheath-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2008

Oops - just NOT sure, not just NOW sure.....

#23 Posted: 1/12/2009 - 14:56

• refugeofthe-
    road

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2013

SCAD is now unfortunately closed, but Soi Dog Foundation is a registered non-profit charity organization that helps street dogs and stray cats in Phuket , Bangkok, and elsewhere.

If you're looking for something to do in Phuket instead ofjust lying on the beach all day, Soi Dog Foundation welcomes volunteers. You don't need any experience. Their animal shelter has hundreds of dogs and cats (and puppies!), and you can take a tour of the shelter and play with the animals.

Besides visiting, you can volunteer there for days, weeks, or months. They have volunteers from all around the world who walk dogs and spend time with the animals, especially the shy ones who need attention.

Soi Dog's animal shelter in Phuket is in Mai Khao near the airport. More info: www.soidog.org.

#24 Posted: 3/8/2013 - 18:17

• tamara_91

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2014

that's a problem lately in my country too.. really a big probem cause this dogs aren't safe, at one point it's good that the government banned killing these dogs, but at the same time there must be created more shelters for them and take all of them in this shelters cause no one is protected from a bite and rabies :( Animal Welfare Organizations mus be more active worldwide and dnot only in big and strong countries

#25 Posted: 4/4/2014 - 05:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.