Culture and politics forum

Cockfights

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

My wife's village has a cock fighting "arena" and I also found one near my house where I live now. I'm not a fan of animal fighting (cocks or dogs), but I do know that it is popular here. Not sure if it's legal or not - but obviously it goes on pretty openly. Have any of you attended? Thoughts?

#1 Posted: 19/8/2009 - 02:27

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I've seen a few. I think the actual cock fight is legal, but gambling on it is not. Of course, you rarely have one without the other.

#2 Posted: 19/8/2009 - 08:01

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

My wife's neice's husband used to breed the Cocks for fighting but I've never been to a fight. It's a part of the Thai culture and I don't object.I would'nt mind going to have a look at one sometime but as for a dog fight-no way.

#3 Posted: 19/8/2009 - 14:53

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

"I would'nt mind going to have a look at one sometime but as for a dog fight-no way."

Just out of curiosity, why is one OK and the other not?

I remember being invited to a cockfight in 1979 (a school trip) but turned down the offer. They apparently tied razorblades on to the chicken's feet. Do they still do that? If so, I would hate to think what a mess that would make.

#4 Posted: 19/8/2009 - 17:14

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I've seen them all over SE Asia, mostly on Bali during temple festivals. I'm not a fan, just as I am no fan of dog fighting, bull fighting, or even boxing.

I haven't seen razor blades tied to the birds' legs, but I have seen scissor blades attached to them.

I noticed that in every case the "loser" was quickly throttled, plucked, cleaned, and tossed into a dinner pot within 20-30 minutes.

#5 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 02:48

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

The problem for me is the animals have no choice. I am a boxer, and I like to fight, but I have a choice as to whether or not I climb through the ring ropes. The animals don't, and that bothers me.

#6 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 03:10

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

'Why is one OK and not the other'
    Simple really-I have aa affinity with dogs,even if they're old Soi dogs,but I don't with chooks.

#7 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 15:22

• Lawoat

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 5

I have seen a **** fight in Cuba (altough its illegal there) and in all fairness I tought it was pretty boring to watch...

#8 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 20:59

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

interesting blog post from Richard Barrow about a recent cock fighting festival in Bangkok:
    Visit Travelfish: Thai cock Fighting Festival

#9 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 01:59

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

sorry, try this one:

Thai Cockfighting Festival

#10 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 02:01

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Hmm. Let me try. Barrow makes the point that cock fighting and Muay Thai can both kill an opponent and the kids don't get much more choice about whether to fight than the animals do.

http://www.thai-blogs.com/index.php/2009/08/19/thai-cock-fighting-festival?blog=5

#11 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 02:59

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

So what do we call **** fights now **** has been deemed a rude word?

Poultry fights?

#12 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 03:12

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Apols for that the bad language filter thingy I turned back on when a bit mental. Should be fine now

#13 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 04:31

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Barrow makes the point that cock fighting and Muay Thai can both kill an opponent and the kids don't get much more choice about whether to fight than the animals do."

Kids should not be fighting. I boxed for ten years - kids bodies are not sufficiently developed, they lack the maturity, and it's inherently dangerous. I do not approve of kids fighting. A shame that it's so pervasive here. Recently I was at the gym training and a local kid wanted to spar me. He was only 15 - it's too young. I worked stricly my defense for that session. I don't want to be reponsible for hurting a kid that young.

#14 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 14:32

• spikybrain

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2009

don't agree with all you say mm, but agree with you 200% on the point that kids shudn't be boxing -- they should be out getting laid, smokin weed and generally having a good time -- not kicking the crap out of each other.

Chooks? as long as no blades involved I don't see the problem as long as we get to eat the loser.

#15 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 15:32

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"they should be out getting laid, smokin weed and generally having a good time"

I never smoked weed - but if you want to do it, don't do it here. Even a short stay in a Thai prison is going to suck a lot.

#16 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 15:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.