Culture and politics forum

Preah Vihar and the Thai-Cambodian love/hate relationship

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I just thought this was a very thoughtful and interesting article on Thai Cambodian relations.
    This is a small quote the full article in the Bangkok Post can be found here.http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/25160/hun-sen-cambodia-agent-provocateur

'Professor Chanvit Kasetsiri rightly noted that among the neighbouring countries of Southeast Asia, none seems more similar to Thailand than Cambodia. Both nations share similar customs, traditions, beliefs and ways of life. This is especially true of royal customs, language, writing systems, vocabulary, literature, and the dramatic arts. In light of these similarities, it seems surprising, therefore, that relations between Thailand and Cambodia should be characterised by deep-seated "ignorance, misunderstanding and prejudice". Indeed, the two countries have what can be termed a "love-hate relationship".'

#1 Posted: 8/10/2009 - 20:52

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I would have said that Laos and Thailand have more in common - particularly in language. Socially I find the Khmer to be pretty tough, without the Thai or Lao veneer of sweetness that makes it so pleasant to live here. But maybe others have a different view on it, as I am certainly no expert on the Khmer.

This border dispute, however, is a lot more about local politics in each location than about the site itself. That is what is preventing a reasonable settlement of the dispute. Like the conflict over Badme between Ethiopia and Eritrea - two bald men fighting over a comb.

#2 Posted: 9/10/2009 - 12:17

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

This dispute has escalated since the advent of the Yello Shirts. Their over zealous nationalism is an attempt to divert attention from domestic politics. Abhisit, of course, could not run a pub on a free day.

#3 Posted: 10/10/2009 - 08:48

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Actually I think Abhisit is doing a credible job. It's not his competence I question. The issue is the legitimacy of his taking holding the office in the first place. But Hun Sen, in his incredible obtuseness manner, loves to periodically make inflammatory statements (I wonder if he's somehow related to Ahmedinijad?). I don't see the "Yellow shirts" as being the only inflaming faction here, however. When the Reds won the last election and were in governance, they too were firmly oppossed to yielding control of the site.

The one area where I truly fault the Thai side in this discussion (as with the Ethiopians concerning Badme) is that the Thais agreed to arbitration, and then rejected same when arbitration went against their claim. It's not that I'm unsympathetic to their original arguement, but if you agree to submit to arbitration, you sully your honor by not following through if you lose the arguement to an arbitrator. Neither side has covered itself in glory on this one, but the Thai side has really gone the extra mile to make itself look bad.

#4 Posted: 10/10/2009 - 11:46

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Stuart
    This thing really needs an edit function... I look at the grammatical errors of my own posts and I cringe. They come from being interrupted while typing. Of course I should proof before I hit post, but still, and edit function would be nice.

#5 Posted: 10/10/2009 - 11:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Preah Vihar ... By fgebhart on 29 Mar 2008 8 2784 12 May 2008
best route to see Preah Vihar? ... By sayadian on 17 Jan 2008 2 2266 18 Jan 2008
Cambodian Visa for Khao Phra Wihan (Preah Vihear)? ... By karlambach on 31 Oct 2006 2 2175 31 Oct 2006
Lodging for the visits to Preah Khan of Kampong Svay and Preah Vihear? ... By cloud on 9 Sep 2011 4 2969 16 May 2012
Plan to Prasat Preah Vihear and Preah Khan ... By cpkcon on 1 Aug 2007 6 5713 17 Feb 2010
Thai-Cambodian border ... By alexlazarus on 17 Oct 2008 4 1986 20 Oct 2008