Cycling in Asia forum

Bangkok-PoiPet-Siem Reap

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Hi all, wonder if anyone had done this before.
    Im a malaysian. The plan is to hop into a train at Sg Golok (south thailand) with my bicycle. Alight at Bangkok and from there cycle into Cambodia.

From research, distance from Bangkok to Poipet (bordertown of Cambodia) is ap 230km. I think I can make it within 3 days on easy cyling. But there seems to be many roads to chose from. Any recomemdations of which bicycle freindly road to take? Also which are the good towns/places to stay along the suggested route.

Thank you in advance
    AA

#1 Posted: 24/1/2011 - 11:37

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi AA,

I think that you've done enough cycling around there to know that cycling in Bangkok is not terribly difficult, but it is also not terribly pleasant when heading out of town, and heading east out of town, in my opinion, is particularly dull. I like to take a train to the outskirts whenever I can. You may want to consider taking the east bound train from Hualomphong to Chachengsao, then continue from there. It's about a 2 hour ride and would probably shave the better part of a day from that part of your route.

You could then continue east following highway 359, or any one of the minor roads if you're comfortable or if you have a GPS, until 359 connects with highway 33 at Sa Kaeo, then continue on to Aran.

I used to live in Prachinburi and found the road traffic in the area typically light. The minor roads were excellent for riding, though there wasn't much to be found in quite a few of the areas in the way of shops or food stands.

Having said that, you could also take the train to Prachinburi, spend the night there (there is at least one hotel and an excellent riverside night market), then ride the 90 km, or so, the next day to Sa Kaeo. You'd then be about 30 km from the border.

Good luck.

#2 Posted: 29/1/2011 - 19:48

• AbgAcid

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia

Thank you Tilapia, and sorry for the long absence. Yes, we will take the trainn till chachengso and then cycle on to Prachinburi. We will put up a night there as suggested by you. We dont travel so much distance per day as we way over 50s, not young anymore, After Prachinburi would you suggest another nigth at Sae Kao or Aranya?

thanks
    regards
    AA

#3 Posted: 24/3/2011 - 20:47

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi AA,

50 is the new 35!!!

It is about 75-80 km to Prachinburi from Chachoengsao , and you will probably be starting later in the day. You may want to get off of the train in Prachinburi instead. It's only another 40 minutes, or so. But if you take the 8:00 am train from Bangkok you will get to Chachoengsao Junction at around 9:15 am, which should give you plenty of time to get to Prachin if you want to ride.

Where you stay will probably depend on how you are feeling and whether or not you see anywhere to stay. Sa Kaeo will be about 30 km, or so, from Aran. There is also a town called Watthana Nakon between the two places. I've been there before but don't recall if there were any places to stay.

Here is a link that covers the area you plan to ride ...

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=RrzKj&page_id=182113&v=3R

It's from Crazy Guy on a Bike, and very recent. This covers the ride from Bangkok to Aranyaphrathet, and then on to Siem Reap. Hope you find it useful.

#4 Posted: 25/3/2011 - 02:54

• AbgAcid

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia

Hi Tilapia,
    Thank you very much for sharing the infos. Really good. and now the route is much clearer to us. We will try to cycle into Aran fron Prachin. Will spend the night at Aran. From then will pass the border and another night at Sisophon.

From Sisophon we will head to Banttambang first and stay for a couple of nights, then only we will head for Siem Reap. Now thats where my brother and me must come to decision.Im keen on heading to Siem Riap by the much talked about boat ride, thru river and tonle sap. And I'm sure the boats can take in our bikes too. I can taste the excitement. But my brother is not keen on that, probably because of some bad reputations of overloaded and unseaworthy boats that serviced there. I dont know if this is true afterall, or its only jokes about boats of cambodia.

However, if we were to cycle, does it mean that we need to head back to Sisophon or is there any other road of lesser distance instead of making a loop?

regards
    AA

#5 Posted: 25/3/2011 - 11:51

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi AA,

Your bikes would go on the roof of the boat. Here's a page written by a cyclist who took the boat you mention several years ago ...

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=RrzKj&page_id=77169&v=8n#pic_302342

I took the boat from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap many years ago and thought it was fine.

If you don't want to double-back on yourselves, then perhaps you could take the boat one way, then ride the other. I take it you plan to leave Cambodia via Poipet, and that you are not planning on going to Phnom Penh or leaving Cambodia via some other border crossing?

#6 Posted: 26/3/2011 - 20:27

• AbgAcid

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia

wow, just a small boat, thought its a biig one. Thank you Tilapia, you have help so much. Really appreiate it.

The route is train from Sg Kolok to Bangkok. Immediately leave Bangkot to Chachaengsao on train again. One night at Chachaengsao. Then cycle to Prachinburi, 1 night. Cycle to Aranyaprathet ( if we can make) 1 night. If its not possible we will put up the night at Sa Kaeo,
    Cycle to Sisophon. Then to Battambang (2 nights) and boat to Siem Reap. (2 nights at Siem Reap. Then we will fly home on air Asia from Siem Reap, mission accomplish!.

Regards
    AA

#7 Posted: 30/3/2011 - 19:13

• AbgAcid

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia

Hi Tilapia,
    just another enquiery, is the Hualomphong station for the train to Chacengsao the same staion that i will get off at bangkok from Sg Kolok

tq
    AA

#8 Posted: 30/3/2011 - 22:00

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yes, you will arrive at and leave from Hualomphong.

Here is the website for schedules. Look at the Eastern Line section.

http://www.railway.co.th/english/index.asp

For some reason the site is not working for me this morning, but hopefully it will be fine for you.

I'm pretty sure that all the trains going in that direction are 3rd. Class. Don't forget to buy a ticket for your bike. There's a little blue box of an office not far from the taxi area of the station. The guy inside will look at your bike and sell you a ticket the cost of which is related to how much it weighs. There are no scales. I think I pay around 90 baht for a trip to Nong Khai, so you shouldn't be paying much at all.

There are some interesting temples in Chachoengsao if you find yourself there for the night. Wat Sothorn Wararam Woraviharn has an amazing, new (4 or 5 years old) marble hall, and there is a reclining, pink Ganesh at Wat Saman Rattanaram. That was a first for me!

Have a great time. I'm envious!

#9 Posted: 31/3/2011 - 18:22

• AbgAcid

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia

Brilliant, thank you so much, Tilapia.
    ah yes, thats what cycling is all about, moving slow and seing places. We will do just that, visitng temples, etc. I love taking pictures, so does my rother. He is 60 this year and has a surly cycle cross. I on the other hand have a much cheaper bike, Polygon,. made in Indonesia. hehe.
    I ve put an enquiery at cambodia section, if there is good bicycle shop at Siem Reap . I need to box in my bicycle for the plane ride home. Do you know if there is one at Siem Reap that can do it for us?
    If you ever come to Malaysia, contact me and I will show you places. You envious?.. I had always envy touring cyclist too. Each time I met foreign cyclists pass thru my hometown, I will try to befriend them, offer for drinks at local restaurants just to hear their tales. Had some of these foreingners that still in contact thru emails even though their cycle adventure has long ended. Anyway, if you would like to see some cycling photos of us in Malaysia click here. Its a website for motorcycling tour actually but David, the owner has opened up a section for cycling. The Gt-rider website.

http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/forums/53-Mountain-Biking-Road-amp-Trip-Reports

regards
    AA

#10 Posted: 31/3/2011 - 19:36

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi again, AA.

I believe, from webjournals I've read, that there are at least a couple of shops in SR. There are bike touring companies, so there must be something there to service them. I'm sure you'll find what you need to get your bike home.

Thanks for the invite to visit. I was in Malaysia a very long time ago and would love to come back. When that time comes, I will be in touch with you.

And if you ever come to Canada, let me know.

Have a great trip.

#11 Posted: 1/4/2011 - 16:45

• Lionel

Joined Travelfish
    11th August, 2012
    Location Switzerland

Bonjour Tilapia,

I'm Lionel from Switzerland. I read with much interest all the informations you gave and decided to follow your advices. I thank you very much for that.

From Siem Reap I'm looking for a road to hit the vietnamien coast. Could you help me in any ways ?

(I tried to send you a privat mail but it failed).

in advance thank you really much for your answer.

best ! Lionel

#12 Posted: 12/8/2012 - 03:43

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Lionel,

I sent you a private message. Hopefully you have received it.

Best regards.

#13 Posted: 13/8/2012 - 12:26

• Lionel

Joined Travelfish
    11th August, 2012
    Location Switzerland

bonjour Tilapia,

in the meantime I found this very useful link :

http://www.vwvagabonds.com/Bike/CycleTouringRoutes.html

I think it's a great source of informations and it seems to me very very reliable. if reading it you have some doubts, please let me know.

best to you.

thanks again.

L

#14 Posted: 13/8/2012 - 12:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
bangkok to aranya prathet to poipet to siem reap ... By joaomacau on 16 Jan 2009 6 5986 28 Jan 2009
Bangkok to Siem Reap taxi share from poipet ... By johickman on 28 Apr 2009 0 2673 28 Apr 2009
Siem reap to bangkok (poipet) taxi share needed ... By frobs9 on 27 Aug 2013 0 1388 27 Aug 2013
Poipet to Siem Reap ... By ningny on 12 Mar 2011 2 4680 30 Aug 2011
SIEM REAP TO POIPET ... By BUCKSBLOKE35 on 20 Oct 2006 1 2224 23 Oct 2006
poipet to siem reap ... By dolicadol on 24 Sep 2013 1 784 25 Sep 2013
Siem Reap to Poipet ... By Dasu on 20 Jul 2008 2 2529 21 Jul 2008
road from Poipet to Siem Reap ... By miu_miu on 1 Jul 2007 1 2332 4 Jul 2007
Traveling from BKK to Siem Reap via Poipet ... By molocono on 10 Feb 2011 4 4380 9 Mar 2011
Taxi from Poipet to Siem Reap ... By tenjackno7 on 26 Jul 2012 4 2748 30 Jul 2012