Cycling in Asia forum

Cycling through Southern China from Vietnam

• Seby_C

Joined Travelfish
    16th May, 2011

Dear all,

I previously posted this on a different forum within travelfish before learning of this forum dedicated to cycling in Asia...

I propose to cycle from Phnom Penh in Cambodia to either Manning or, maybe further (perhaps Guangzhou), in southern China. I am fairly confident that the Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam legs can be achieved (I have travelled Southeast Asia extensively and lived in Cambodia for the last 2 years), however I have never visited Southern China and am aware that the culture will vary quite dramatically as will the terrain, climate and of course many more factors. I want to ask if anyone has any advice or knowledge on this region (and all the regions proposed in fact) and therefore can share any useful information with me as to what I should know and expect / what I must be aware of / what I can do to prepare for such a trip.
    I am very grateful in advance for any replies to this post, or indeed any links to other websites / blogs / forums I should take a look at.
    Thanks again

I have had some previous responses in the original forum ‘Southeast Asia’, yet any more info would be great, but also I also would now like to extend to some more specific questions to go with the above questions now I am here:
    - If I were to cross from Vietnam into China @ Mong Cai, does anyone know of the rode from Mong Cai on to Fangcheng is cycleable (with luggage and all)?
    - Is bringing a bike in to China fairly simple, and does anybody know what documentation will be reuired, or where I can find out about this kind of info?
    - Does anyone know of any good second hand bike shops in Bangkok with English speaking staff? I am 6’3” tall and have to buy a bike there so need to have a detailed conversation with staff about my requirements! Have looked in Phnom Penh but they are few.

Many thanks indeed in advance – very much appreciated!

Cheers

#1 Posted: 18/5/2011 - 14:18

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Cycling through Southern China ... By Seby_C on 17 May 2011 8 2861 20 May 2011
vietnam/laos/cambodia/southern china ... By da_misfit on 10 Jul 2007 1 2544 29 Aug 2007
Cycling in the southern provinces ... By ade7 on 27 Jul 2008 7 3701 3 Sep 2008