Cycling in Asia forum

pedelling around s e asia

• buggy

Joined Travelfish
    13th July, 2011

i am looking at cycling around asia in october starting with loas then chang mai, back into loas down the mekong into cambodia and to ho chj min.
    would love to hear and previous experiances or maybe you are looking for a travel partner. i am in thailand now.
    cheers
    buggy

#1 Posted: 19/7/2011 - 17:01

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

It's a long way.

#2 Posted: 19/7/2011 - 18:07

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Buggy,

You should check out the webjournals for Cambodia on this site ...

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/

October in Cambodia can be rough riding if it's raining. I've read a lot, and talked to fellow riders a great deal about washed out roads and some very tough going. If you're not on a schedule, you'll be fine but be prepared to change directions, re-route, and spend lots of time cleaning and fixing your bike. These things may never happen, but the rainy season isn't the best time to ride there. Having said that, the monsoons might be over by the time you get there.

Starting in Laos then Chiang Mai, back into Laos, down the Mekong? Starting where in Laos? Re-entering back into Laos where? Can you give a few more details? I've ridden a lot in the NE of Thailand.

#3 Posted: 25/7/2011 - 23:23

• snrail

Joined Travelfish
    14th October, 2012
    Location Canada

Your trip sounds fantastic, I did it - enjoy.
    This is my favorite link,

www.mrpumpy.net/

a bit dated but he's got the feel of the journey intact.
    On a second trip I had a folding bike, 20 inch wheels. In a bag I put it on the bus, didn't see the point of continuing down flat boring main highways with traffic and development.
    When I found interesting areas, I got off the bus and spent my time along quiet side roads. My object was scenery and local encounters in villages, and in the end I did a good number of km, but on quiet roads, lanes, etc. Had a mini tent too, but the locals were very hospitable (giving some sort of tip or gift is very appreciated though) and I didn't end up using the tent that much. I found quite a few have biked the main roads, and there isn't much surprise for the locals to see a cyclist. I only did this in the late dry (emerging hot)season. (march april) and mud wasn't a problem, but it would have been nice to have a bit more greenery at times. Secondary roads heading toward Vietnam are good too if you don't mind reasonable uphill stretches (or bus uphill and coast down, by and large), and I took my time exploring paths through rice fields etc.

#4 Posted: 15/10/2012 - 23:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.