Photo: Cycling the backblocks of Thonburi.

Cycling in Asia forum

Good Cambodia and Vietnam maps

Posted by melbromar on 10/8/2011 at 06:13

Hi,
My husband and I are about to spend 6 months cycling through S.E. Asia. We have good road maps for Thailand and Laos but not yet for Cambodia and Vietnam. Anyone know of a good road map/s for these two countries?
We would like to stay off the highways as much as possible so the more detailed the better.
We are in Melbourne at the moment so we would need to buy them here or be able to buy them online.
Thanks

#1 melbromar has been a member since 10/8/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by eastwest on 10/8/2011 at 15:34

I'm not a cyclist so can not help you directly.

Just that in Cambodia there isn't much choice in roads. The only decent roads are the main roads. Luckily for you they are not that busy and most times quite scenic. A normal roadmap of Cambodia should do it. Secondary roads are of a really bad quality, especially in rainy season. All cyclists I see and speak to here stick to the main roads and only wander off in places where they stay for a few days.

For Vietnam I can however recommend the sideroads. Alas, I have no knowledge on how to get a decent map.
Have a good trip

#2 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778

Posted by sayadian on 15/8/2011 at 14:01

Just came across this link to Cambodian Govt site with very detailed online maps of Cambodia.Perhaps you could print them out.

http://cambodiamaps.blogspot.com/2010/12/royal-cambodian-government-roadmaps.html

#3 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.