Cycling in Asia forum

Cycle Burma

• msimojoki

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2011

I am planning for my 5th solo Asia cycling trip. So far I have cycled in India, Thailand, Cambodia, China and Vietnam. All have been without problems and absolutely fantastic trips. For 2012 I am considering cycling from Yangon, Burma to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Does anyone have experience with the Yangon-Thailand section? Thanks, Mike from Bornholm

#1 Posted: 18/9/2011 - 12:37

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Mike,

I recommend that you check out some of the journals on Crazy Guy on a Bike. They'll give you a fairly good idea of what cycling in Burma is like. Here is the page with the entries for Burma ...

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/locales/?locale_id=35&doctype=journal

Steve Ruelle's journal is the most recent. He writes of crossing the border in Thailand at Mae Sai and trying to go into Burma. He was caught and made to return to Tachilek.

I found Graham Finch's journal to be an excellent source of info. In fact, I recommend reading all of his journals. Not only is he a great writer, but he is also fearless and an excellent photographer.

I have not cycled in Burma, but I have cycled all over Thailand and Laos, and have traveled in Burma and would love to go there with my bike sometime in the next few years. But going overland from Burma into Thailand? Frankly, I don't think this is going to be possible. You'll most likely need to take at least two flights ... one into Yangon, and one out of Burma (probably Yangon again). But having said that, I hope you can do it, and look forward to your report.

Happy Cycling.

#2 Posted: 19/9/2011 - 05:01

• msimojoki

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2011

Thanks very much for that Talapia. Great to get such a quick and thorough reply.

#3 Posted: 21/9/2011 - 07:03

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hey Mike,

You might enjoy reading about Graham Finch's travels through Bangladesh. That is one wild ride! Pretty much off the grid for the majority.

I am going to assume that you have cycled all over Bornholm. I have cycled some of the Norwegian coast and islands, but never in Denmark. One day ...

In January I met a French girl in Sukhothai who was cycling from Beijing to France via Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Burma, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Iran, Turkey, Greece, etc. etc. etc. Her plan was to cross into Burma at Kawthoung and then continue up into the NW part of the country and then cross into either India or Bangladesh.

Unfortunately, she skipped Burma because she wasn't going to be able to cross the border from Thailand and then continue into the country. She would also not be permitted to cross from Burma into India or Bangladesh. So she just hopped onto a plane with her bike and flew to India. She is in China again after cycling from India into Nepal and then into Tibet. I believe she is heading for "the Stans". She's alone!

Good luck with your trip. Maybe you could post it on Crazy Guy?

Best.

#4 Posted: 21/9/2011 - 09:43

• msimojoki

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2011

Hi Tilapia,
    I know the Bornholm you are thinking of but this area is in south-west Western Australia and is named after Bornholm in Denmark. We also have a Torbay. I am always interested in reading about solo cyclists and am an avid crazyguys reader mainly because my work mates think I'm nuts so to read about others doing the same makes me feel sane. That French girl must be amazing.

#5 Posted: 21/9/2011 - 10:44

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I guess that Oz, like Canada, never lets a good name go to waste.

I know what you mean w.r.t. workmates.

And, yes, amazing is a good adjective for her. If you PM me I can send you her website and you can see where she has gone.

#6 Posted: 22/9/2011 - 01:43

• msimojoki

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2011

I would much appreciate the French girl's web site. I'm assuming you're Canadian.

#7 Posted: 22/9/2011 - 12:56

• monirz77

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2011

I really have doubts if you can enter Myanmar via a bike from the outside world. The only legal way to enter is via air in to Rangon. Unless something drastic has changed since I visited there in Feb 2011.

But once you're in Rangon, check out Soe's Biking in Myanmar.

http://www.bwemtravel.com/

This is run by a Burmese lady named Soesoe and Jeff, her Australian husband. I've met the couple on my Myanmar trip in Feb 2011. Very nice people and have become friends since.

And Jeff is so passionate about biking, he breathes it! If you contact them, tell them I sent them your way.

Rowena

#8 Posted: 22/9/2011 - 15:29

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Msimojoki, if you send me a private message, I can send you her website. And, yes, I'm Canadian.

#9 Posted: 22/9/2011 - 21:43

• msimojoki

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2011

I'm still trying to work out how to do the PM so will get back to you.

#10 Posted: 23/9/2011 - 07:08

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Just click on Private Message beneath the photo in my profile.

#11 Posted: 25/9/2011 - 18:50

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"I believe she is heading for "the Stans". She's alone!"

Hopefully she's not one of these crazies who thinks basically everyone is good and isn't planning on cycling through Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iran...

#12 Posted: 26/9/2011 - 01:43

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Iran is unlikely. Since France's introduction of the ban on full head coverings, the French are finding it very difficult to get visas.

She's cycled through Pakistan 4 times in the past on her own so she wasn't desperate to go there and knew she'd have trouble getting an Iranian visa. If she can't get a visa for Iran there's not much point in going through Pakistan because the only other way she'd be able to continue would be to go through Afghanistan and, well ...

Anyway, it looks like she's heading for Kazakhstan at the moment, and might be there now. She hasn't posted for a while. I'm not surprised considering where she is.

#13 Posted: 26/9/2011 - 02:24

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Believe it or not, Khazakstan has a decent dance scene.

#14 Posted: 26/9/2011 - 20:52

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Now that is a surprise.

#15 Posted: 27/9/2011 - 03:51

• nicoter

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2013

Hi,

I saw your post Tilapia from september 2011.
    You mentionned about a french girl cycling from Asia back to France.
    I've been cycling from Japan to France through south east asia during 2,5 years so I'm interested about this girl blog. It looks I don't know her (I'm french too) and I'm interested to see which route she took cause I'm in an other trip also and I intend to cycle again in Asia.
    Can you send me her blog link ? I tried to send you a PM but it didn't work.

Cheers

Nicolas

#16 Posted: 11/9/2013 - 21:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.