Cycling in Asia forum

want a bicycle?

• kristineell-
    en

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2007

I bought a bike from a guy in Saigon who had ridden down from Beijing. I cycled through Vietnam, Laos, and into Thailand, and I now have ten days before I fly out of BKK. If I find someone who is interested in buying the bike I would love to pass it one to an intrepid traveller, otherwise I will bring it home with me on the plane.
    The bike runs great, is equiped w/ panears and a repair kit/replacement tubes. I thouroughly enjoyed bicycling, and if there is someone else out there who would like to experience SE Asia at a different pace, I would be happy to answer any questions/help out.
    Happy travels,
    kristine

#1 Posted: 21/3/2007 - 19:03

• Advertisement

• tnog

Joined Travelfish
    27th March, 2007

Hi Kristine,

I don't need a bike, but just have a few questions. I'm a noob when it comes to SE Asia, but am currently living in India for the last 2 and a half years.

I'm planning a small cycle tour through SE Asia this July (yeah the weather! but don't have many other choices for taking time off of work) for about 2 and a half weeks. I'm not a cycle-tour noob, having previously done an 900km S. India tour.

It will be my first time in SEA though, and I was thinking about flying into Bangkok and cycling through Cambodia ending in Phnom Penh. I've heard that it's a really bad idea to ride during the monsoon season. I've heard from older reports (2002) that some sections of highway 5 and 6 in Cambodia are unsealed, and in bad shape, and hell when rained on.

What were your experiences of the roads? Were the main highways in good shape?

Thank You!

Tak

#2 Posted: 27/3/2007 - 14:43

• kristineell-
    en

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2007

Hey there Tak,
    Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you, I was in transit back to the US. The roads in Thailand are in good shape, I don't think you would have any trouble biking on then, I think would probably just have to allow for a couple hours break in the afternoon when the daily rain pours.
    As far as Cambodia goes, the roads may get a bit more sketchy there when it is in the rainy season. If you want to get off the beaten path I think you will have a tough time because the roads are primarily dirt, but If you stay on the main path like on the way to PP you should be alright. The roads in Laos are atually really great to ride on, not a lot of traffic, nice pavement, friendly people, etc. I would really suggest checking that out too. For me, riding in Thailand is a bit on the dangerous side, lots of traffic and people drive fast and pass when they shouldn't. Feel free to ask any more questions, take care and happy travels!
    kristine

#3 Posted: 1/4/2007 - 00:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.